Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you might remember a thread with me discussing the fact I'm getting serious next year with my car. It is currently being converted into a real race car. By that I mean, the proper engine(PWR!!) a GM trans, and getting this pig on a diet. My goal is to run in a competetive heads-up class. To compete I need to run 8.0's -7.90's @ 3300#'s. No back halfs,stock style suspension ,29w tire ,etc.
I've built plenty of Mustangs that run fast(fast to me is 7's and 8's) and there is no reason why a Challenger cannot as well. We would be fools to think it will do it right out of the box, it won't. But if built correctly over the course of next year it "should" happen. This should be the year to dial it in and test. Run some races and learn about what we need to change over the year.Then be extremely competetive the following year.

I'll update the thread as the build goes on for those interested. I finished one complete hot side of the turbo kit I'm building. Doing it at night and on the weekends by myself so its taking alittle time. Most guys don't ever get to see what goes into building a true race car, this thread may help you with that.

Turbo's are 96mm housing with a 76mm billet wheel. Twins of course.:) Hot side is all stainless steel, down pipes are 11 gauge aluminum that will exit out of the body of the car.;) Intercooler is a Precision 3000HP Air to water cooler.
I set the kit up to swap to twin 88's if needed. That is the reason for the 4 inch down pipe instead of the 3 inch the turbo's require. Easier to do it now in the build phase and simply swap turbo's instead of having to completely redo piping on a turbo change. Plus, the 4 inch can only help the 76's,not hurt them.

More to come..............

Attachments

5,134 Posts
Woah, this should be interesting. My last car was a turbo, so I went with a supercharger on the Challenger ... but turbos are where the power is at.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I have a 98mm 2200hp Precision Turbo. Take a look at my Dog House up top! I am getting ready to lit it off next week. Have a new all white paint job ready for my new sponsor. Testing in H-Town at the Pro Stock Super Bowl.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 98mm 2200hp Precision Turbo. Take a look at my Dog House up top! I am getting ready to lit it off next week. Have a new all white paint job ready for my new sponsor. Testing in H-Town at the Pro Stock Super Bowl.
Awesome! You get what I want to do. You and I think alike. Go broke and go fast doing it! My dog house is otw,but its smaller than yours!

Fwiw, don't think I have forgotten you. You'll hear from me mid/late week.

·
Banned
158 Posts
not as badass as you guys, but

avg power on the track was around the 1016-1101 range. depending on weather.

9:01 @161Mph. Avg.

Turbos are Definately the way to go.....

mind you this was all done on a street tire.

sold the car after i got tired of the whole "14,000 per tranny" after the 3rd time....

cant wait to see where tims car is going ..... looks amazing soo far!!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
nice Tim were going to be watching this and BW keep the small children away from that thing :guiness::guiness::guiness:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Awesome. Way to make my turbos look insignificant, lol. Btw, I have new turbos heading your way. 6265 billet wheel precision turbos to replace the turbonetics.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
nice to hear from you Tim looks like fun.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The winter is supposed to be tough so keep the pics coming for us northern guys.

It's interesting to see what it takes to reach a certain number too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
More work done. Hot side is done, exhaust is thru the bumpers. Just have to pull the one remaining pipe thru the firewall,then to the cooler and back out to the throttlebody.. Looks like I'll have it all done in 2-3 weeks. I've been working on it only on the weekends so its going slower than I wanted.

Enjoy!

Oh, twin Precision 96GTS turbo's with 76mm billet impellars. Engine that is going in the car is a PWR 406CI longblock. Mockup engine is the old 419,it is coming out and going into another one of our cars.
Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice progress.

I like the clamping system. I calculated for fun and with 4" pipes at 10psi, there's 126lbs pushing those pipes apart from each other laterally. I bet you go over 10psi too.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Tim looking good. I like the z band clamps smart move. Is that a wilson dog house? What by pass valves are you running? Are you running a AMS boost controller?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tim looking good. I like the z band clamps smart move. Is that a wilson dog house? What by pass valves are you running? Are you running a AMS boost controller?
Thanks! I will be running three bypass valves. Two of the big Tial billet aluminum bypass' on each three inch feed under the hood right after the turbo's and one large Procharger race valve in the car right after the intercooler. I want to make sure I get all the boost blown off to prevent the cooler from cracking or exploding beside me.

Lynch and Dillard both had it happen to them, you can never have to many blow offs to relieve the pressure quickly.

I use V-bands on all my piping on race setups, I'll weld one to the T/B as well. I refuse to chase blowing off pipes while trying to race..

Yes, of course its Wilson, is there anything else?;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't decided on controller yet. Defineately need one to ramp boost in. I'll use CO2 on the gates of course to slam them shut for full boost after launch.
What are you using?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
OMFG ... I love it ... cant wait to see it done .. and here what she runs ... good luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts