Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I just recently started using 89 octane fuel as recommended by the manufacturer. Should I be using any fuel additives to help care for the engine and/or improve gas mileage or does it seem to make any difference? If so, what's the best fuel additive and how often?
Any reason other than $ not to use 91 octane? I am putting on a MOPAR Long Ram CAI and plan to put in a 91 Octane tune with the Predator so assume I will have to run 91 octane with it anyway. Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....once you have the "91 tune" programmed, then I would say yes (you should run 91 octane at that point).

As for fuel additives, many fuel stations already have them in the formulation of their product (Techron is a good example and one that many seem to feel to works). Personally, I have never used them (other than what is in the fuel already) and never had issues with gummed-up injectors, etc. I just make sure to maintain the vehicle at the appropriate intervals.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that...thanks! Kinda what I thought but didn't want to be missing out on anything.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You live in an area that has Chevron and Texaco all over the place. Get you gas from one of these (they are one and the same). As noted, the Techron additive used in Chevron/Texaco gas is excellent at keeping the fuel system clean. You can purchase Techron as an additive at auto parts stores - kind of pricey - not recommended if you are already using Chevron/Texaco. If using another gas then pick up the additive and used as directed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've always liked Seafoam.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I have used Lucas fuel treatment and Seafoam. both are good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't use any fuel treatment and run 93 octane since I am running the 93 CAI tune but I get my fuel from a local bulk propane plant that sells fuel and the best part is it is ethanol free.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you got the hookup there...sweet! Anxiously awaiting my CAI and Predator. Meanwhile just installed the sequential tail lights. Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
5.7 Automatic vs Manual Fuel Requirements

Ok - I just reviewed the User Guide and Owners Manual regarding fuel requirements...

The User Guide states:

Fuel Selection 5.7L
87 Octane Acceptable.
89 Octane Recommended.

The Owners Manual states:

Fuel Selection (3.5L and 5.7L Engine – Automatic Transmission) 87 Octane Acceptable — 89 Octane Recommended
Fuel Selection (5.7L Engine – Manual Transmission) 91 Octane

What upset me is that when I took delivery I got a User Guide (for users) but did not get an Owners Manual (my bad) so have been running 89 octane based on the User Guide.

Aside from the $$$ difference - I am wondering if there are any thoughts on running 89 octane in a 5.7 liter 6 speed - versus 91 octane? :scratchhead:

Dealer discussion pending on why No Owners Manual nwas included :fight:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aces iv

I use ACES IV with my fuel and it works for me. Myself and others here on the forum use it as well and have had good results. :thumbsup:

Quote from BND Automotive:

How many fuel additives claim the same thing. It is no wonder people don't believe in any of them. The real sad thing is that there are very few that do anything, and most of them are single phase. They do one thing relatively well and then cause cursory problems. Yes MMT works as an octane booster but plates the cylinder with manganese. Over time it starts to erode the cylinderbores. It makes the plugs impossible to read, and puts manganese oxide out the exhaust and plays havoc with emission components after long time use.

Petroleum distillates are a real dichotomy. While some components can be used in gasoline, diesel fuel, and jet kerosene, when these fuels leave the refinery, they have the regulated balance and blend necessary for proper combustion for that time of the year. Adding more from a typical fuel additive really only leaves one with a lighter wallet.

That doesn't mean that the fuel can't be improved, but not from petroleum, polymers, alcohols, or metals. These all have drawbacks!

We work very hard to blend ACES IV to deal with ALL of the potential problems and needs that our present fuels have. If you understand combustion science, there are ways to increase efficiency, produce more power output, and lubricate the upper cylinder area keeping it clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts