Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 PCP Hellcat M6 w/10K miles and garaged all of the time. Basically my Sunday driver and went out to drive it over Memorial Day weekend and car would turn over but not start w/CEL. Plugged in my OBD reader and saw P0109 and P025A - air fuel trim adaption out of range or something like that. Think the root cause is Fuel Pump Control Module. Checked Fuse and fuse is good. Looked at enclosed FPCM relay and nothing looks burnt but can't tell if relay is good. Removed right side trunk trim panels and found FPCM, unplugged electrical connectors and sprayed some Deoxit into the connectors and cycled connectors in/out several times to clean contacts. Battery on tender so fully charged. Tried disconnecting battery overnight and clearing codes with OBD reader but problem continues. Don't know what to try next so reaching out to the forum for help. Can buy new FPCM for about $80 but how do I determine if that box/device is the problem?

I'm bummed the car has been flawless for four years now and to have it go bad on a holiday weekend was such a disappointment. Been meaning to post about recent mod's like installing Oracle LED Ghosted sidemarker lights and E&G Classics louvered rear window shade.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
FYI - Not sure if this might help but there was a TSB for the fuel pump connector 08-032-17. Weird that you are getting a intermittent circuit MAP error as well.

Have you walked through the diagnostics given by the chilton online manual?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CT,
THANKS! Have not "walked through the diagnostics given by the chilton online manual? " as I didn't know that was an option/suggestion and exactly why I posted my question to the forum. Needed another idea/direction on how to resolve this. INTERESTING about the TSB. Any idea if a TSB like this one is eligible for free repair at the dealer even after warranty has expired? Service bulletins are not like recalls so I suspect the answer is no. The wiring/block diagram at least gives me some idea of voltages to probe for on what colored wires. The TSB show's wire positions swap on the Fuel Pump connector and I can't believe you swap them unless your replacing the fuel pump. That leads to another question do you have to drop the fuel tank on these cars to get access to the Fuel Pump on the top of the tank?

So before submitting my above comments I went to the the page that talked about the Chilton online manual and I jumped to there and logged in. My descriptions of the DTC's read by my OBD reader where based on what I saw on the screen. When I searched for P0190 on the Chilton's website for my year car the list/describe what appear to be opposite descriptions for each DTC. They have P0109 as "Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit Intermittent" while P025A is "Fuel Pump Control Circuit Open" which is more or less opposite what my OBDII reader displayed. I was very surprised to see so little about this problem on Challenger Talk. A bigger Google of P0109 and Hellcat showed a lot of talk about this in Ram trucks and Chargers which is how I found the FPCM in the trunk.....but now same Google returns more info about Manifold Absolute Air Pressure sensor being the problem.

At any rate your help at least pointed me in a direction to investigate more THANKS!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah my bad, what the difference a character makes! I miss quoted the DTC as P0109 which is a MAP sensor with what I really have which is a "U" not "P" U0109-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FUEL PUMP CONTROL MODULE and it looks like the second code is/was "P025A-FUEL PUMP MODULE CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN" so I'm staying in the trunk looking at the PCM for the root cause.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
CT,
THANKS! Have not "walked through the diagnostics given by the chilton online manual? " as I didn't know that was an option/suggestion and exactly why I posted my question to the forum. Needed another idea/direction on how to resolve this. INTERESTING about the TSB. Any idea if a TSB like this one is eligible for free repair at the dealer even after warranty has expired? Service bulletins are not like recalls so I suspect the answer is no. The wiring/block diagram at least gives me some idea of voltages to probe for on what colored wires. The TSB show's wire positions swap on the Fuel Pump connector and I can't believe you swap them unless your replacing the fuel pump. That leads to another question do you have to drop the fuel tank on these cars to get access to the Fuel Pump on the top of the tank?
If you are out of warranty dealership will charge for a TSB. As for the fuel pump, you just remove the rear seat to access it.

U0109 makes more sense...most likely you do have a bad module (hopefully chilton's has a way to diagnose it before you start throwing parts at the problem) but if you look at the wiring diagram I posted earlier it communicates directly with the fuel pump as well, hence why I brought up the TSB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had some time today to investigate further. 30 amp Fuel Pump Fuse definitely good. Fuel Pump Relay definitely good, removed applied 12V heard it click have continuity through the contacts. Wife energizes car and I can feel relay click in it's installed position. Only two parts left IMO Fuel Pump Control Module or Fuel Pump itself. Chilton's manual was good and I noticed a few things. My P025A code that my OBD reader says is a "Fuel Air Metering" DTC but Chilton's says it's a "Fuel Pump Control Circuit Open". I don't hear/feel any fuel pump running and Chilton says "The P062A DTC will occur if the fuel pressure is too high or too low in the system. The Fuel Pump Assembly can be failing and still produce high fuel pressure in the system when the FPCM is defaulted to 80% duty cycle. Therefore, if this DTC is not accompanied by another fuel control system DTC, and the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor is reading correctly, the Fuel Pump Assembly is the most likely cause of this DTC. " which I don't have that P062A DTC as I think the pump is not running at all (Fuel Pump Control Circuit Open)....leading me back to the FPCM or I guess could be burned out fuel pump....but on 4 year old car with 10K miles I find hard to believe. Sensitive electronics like the FPCM are more common to fail IMO and also cheaper!

I'm wanting to probe for voltage but the connectors/wires are small and Chilton specifically throws out this CAUTION: "Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install the GPEC Diagnostic Adaptor to perform the diagnosis." which I do not have.

Lastly CT's post about the TSB may not be applicable as the pictures posted do not look at all like my connections at the gas tank. On the Fuel Pump/drivers side I have an 8 pin connector with 7 wires where your picture only shows 5 wires. On the fuel return/passenger side I have a two wire connector.

Wish I had a friend with similar year Dodge product that I could swap FPCM to see if the problem goes away. Purchase price seems to be about $80 new or buy used off Ebay at $50. Open for suggestions/input if anybody has some ideas....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
Could it be the wires the TSB is showing is inside the driver side fuel hat? What the TSB and what your pics show is the plastic housing is also vastly different.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I work with a guy at my dealership that worked at Dodge as a master tech for 20 years. He said that code usually points to a bad FPCM. Replace it and you should be fine. We also have that code common on Hyundai Genesis and it’s always been a Fuel Pump Control Module. Causing low fuel pressure and hard starting. Will also throw CAN codes and other related dtc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CT, it's possible BUT IMO you wouldn't have open exposed wires/electrical connections inside the tank like your picture. Notice in the picture below from the Chilton's manual for my year car/spec/etc they show the 7-8 wire connection on the bottom which is different than the block diagram you posted for the TSB. This diagram was very helpful in that it gave the pinout for the Fuel Pump Relay and how I was able to bench test it. From there the wire color codes appear to match my installation better than what you posted. I have a fuel pressure gauge that on other cars I would connect to the fuel pressure rail over the injectors via a Schrader style valve. It's possible the fuel pump is not running because the rail is already at full/normal pressure. My thought was to check to see if there is any pressure at all on the rail. BUT with all that said recall I don't have the DTC P062A which leads me back to the FPCM which regulates the duty cycle of the Fuel Pump to maintain pressure is not turning the pump on at all. I'm leaning towards buying a new FPCM.....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
The connections within the fuel hat are really nothing special. I have had my off and the pins/terminals are fairly exposed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Mondingo's input about a 20 year Master tech saying it's most likely the FPCM AND some posts I saw on Hellcat.org and another forum about U0109 = bad FPCM made me go that route. While mail order was looking to be about $80 + $10-15 shipping I went the buy local route for $120 from my stealership. Not in stock but will be here tomorrow so I'll report back ASAP if I have success after replacing the FPCM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So Mondingo's input about a 20 year Master tech saying it's most likely the FPCM AND some posts I saw on Hellcat.org and another forum about U0109 = bad FPCM made me go that route. While mail order was looking to be about $80 + $10-15 shipping I went the buy local route for $120 from my stealership. Not in stock but will be here tomorrow so I'll report back ASPA if I have success after replacing the FPCM.
Let us know how things go. Remember to disconnect the battery first before removing and or plugging the new FPCM in. After reconnecting the battery turn the key meaning push button to the on position and read for all dtc. Just in case they are still stored in PCM and didn’t clear when battery disconnected. Clear all codes. Cycle push button off and start her up. Hopefully you’ll be good to go without any issues. Keep us all posted. Good luck bud. ! 👍🏻

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So no luck here....replacing the FPCM didn't solve my problem. At the Dealer I mentioned my local Mopar Car Club by name and they gave me 20% off so was out the door right at $90 for the new FPCM. Before installing it I wanted to clear the DTC's so I powered up the car and with the back seat out thought I heard the fuel pump running. I put my hand on it and think it was vibrating but not 100% sure. Cleared the DTC's turned ignition on again but didn't hear the same sound as before, but I would think if the fuel rail was at pressure the pump wouldn't run so that almost doesn't surprise me. Pulled battery cable and swapped FPCM's, returned power still have same problem. Read the Chilton manual suggestions and lots of talk about Canbus communication failure/shorts to ground and needing to check the Powertrain Control Module first. I searched TSB's and saw several recommended flash updates for the PCM but they don't say exactly what they fix. Went back to CT's Fuel Pump connector TSB and I don't think it applies to the Hellcat. Started looking at Fuel Pumps for sale and see there are many different models used and it seems each engine has it's own model pump. Looking at Rockauto to purchase a replacement they don't even have the left side in stock yet all the other cars are available.

Hellcat_FuelPump.JPG

I have a friend who own's an auto repair shop and is the treasurer for our local Mopar Club so I might pay him a visit tomorrow with the Chilton Printouts for U0109 and P025A asking for some input/guidance. After that I may be stuck flat bedding it to the dealer for them to use their super special dealer tools.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just throwing this out for one more piece of additional information. When things stop working in the computer world the first thing you ask is what changed. So with similar thinking what changed since the last time I drove this car.....WELL the only thing that came to mind is I installed ORACLE LED Ghosted side marker lights. In theory lights shouldn't cause a fuel pump problem but recall our cars are computers with a network communication buss. It's possible, but I highly doubt it, that the LED lights could be causing some electrical noise/interference with the buss. What got me to thinking about this is the Chilton's manual diagnostic steps for the PCM have you check battery health first and aftermarket electronics installations second before delving into the communication buss. They basically want you to eliminate any owner induced problems first.

20200609_204324.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The solution is a GD Hammer! So I visit my friend the owner of Tommy's Top Wrench Automotive and explain where I'm at and he's like did you try beating it. What do you mean beat it? He said cars that are NOT driven enough get stuck, you gotta beat the fuel tank or the top of the fuel pump to break free whatever might be holding it up. So I go back home skeptical but grab my rubber mallet and beat on the top of the fuel pump hat. Turn the ignition on and can hear/feel it run so I beat it some more. After about 30 seconds I don't hear the pump any more so I climb out of the back seat. I cycle the power and try again and BOOM the MF starts like nothing is wrong! OMG I can't believe my problem was I didn't beat it with a rubber mallet but that appears to have been the solution.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Damn. Now I feel bad after giving advice from a guy I work with. He said he’s seen a few go bad. But never thought you would get a code like that for a stuck fuel pump. My bad. I guess you just have to drive it more often. Glad you got it fixed though. Sorry again. Maybe that’s why he left Dodge. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,519 Posts

A Guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts