Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I apologize upfront for the length of this post, but after I got started I wanted to make sure I covered everything.
I'm starting this new thread because after searching numerous other threads and posts, there still seems to be no one straight answer to some of these issues. I think that a thread dedicated to the specific topic of “hands free” operations and microphone, cables, connections, and placement. In my vehicle's users guide there are "two" Uconnect 130 units listed. There is the base "Uconnect 130" that is just AM/FM/Disc with an Aux for Audio Jack and that's it. I don't know why they even use the name "Uconnect" on this unit since it has none of the functions listed as part of the "Uconnect" features. The next model is the "Uconnect 130 WITH SiriusXM SATELLITE RADIO" and the picture shows both the "Voice Command" and "Uconnect" buttons, but the note bellow says "Your radio may or may not be equipped with Uconnect Voice Command and Uconnect Phone features." My 2013 Challenger SXT came equipped with the Uconnect 130 WITH SiriusXM SATELLITE RADIO, but my unit doesn't have either of those two buttons. When I was preparing to buy my vehicle I specifically asked about the buttons to control the “Uconnect” features and the salesman said it must be controlled with the buttons on the steering wheel. I still didn't see how to work it and he said “the manual should show you all that.” As I was still caught up in the “wheeling and dealing” of trying to buy my Challenger and didn't come back to that issue. Afterwards I was told that the “Uconnect 130” in my car would not operate the “hands free” functions, but if I installed one of the higher level units then my “hands free” will operate. Now after a year I managed to get a MyGig RHR (730n) and the harness Part #82212906 to bypass the “hands free” module in the car. I got everything ready and pulled the 130 and removed the glove box to be able to reach the “HF” module. As much as I looked at what was behind the glove box, I'll be damned if I can identify anything that could be the “HF” module. Either I'm just not finding it or it was never installed, contrary to what was implied by the “Window Sticker” and the salesman; of course the salesman is no longer there. I would love to get comments, input, and possibly pictures from others who are attempting this upgrade.
Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
here is what you are looking for..the three connectors are small(USB)...med(mirror communication)... larger(Radio)

Attachments

Reactions: Pistol_Ridge

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
You can have the Uconnect 130 with Sirius satellite radio on an SXT and still not have Bluetooth / Voice Command. The BT/VC is a $395 option and the SAT radio was $195. If you ordered BT/VC it required that you also order SAT, but not the other way around. You could order SAT only without BT/VC and many cars were equipped this way. On your steering wheel, if no VR and Phone buttons appear on upper left and only a blank pad, then your car does not have it, sorry, shame the salesman didn't know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably should have given this thread a different title as I wanted to have the focus be on "hands free" operation and the parts needed for it. Just as there are a number of different head units that will work in our Challengers, I would think that there could be a number of different Uconnect mirrors, microphones, and steering wheel controls that are compatible. I tried to search out the mirror issue because I found one that is priced at $18.00, but the part number (04389936AB) comes up being for a Dodge Avenger. Would the BUS speed have anything to do with the Uconnect mirror or the microphone? In searching I found two other part numbers (05081702AB and 55157457AC) that could possibly work in the Challengers. Since my car doesn't "have hands free" I don't need the bypass harness Part #82212906, but I could use the plug to create a harness to connect up the mirror. There are wiring charts available the show what each pin does and I'm sure I could come up with enough wires and connectors to do the job. It would be cool and helpful to those who follow if would could create a list of compatible part numbers for external Uconnect controls. Another part I'm wondering about is the Uconnect controls on the steering wheel. I saw one for sale, but it was for a Dodge Ram and it said it was "not" compatible. I would rather have the controls on the steering wheel so I don't need to take my eyes off the road, I mean, that's the whole idea isn't it? I wonder how much of the wiring is installed at the factory to make it simpler there and for a dealership's service department to work on. I still don't want to get too carried away on my SXT because it is a stepping stone to a more loaded R/T.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There are two mirrors for uconnect. One is 2011-2014 Challenger only(68088624AA) and the other is 2010 and below (68020439AB) and used by LC,WK,KK,LX,JS,HB,HG. What’s the difference, I have no clue. The headliner jumper harness for handsfree mirror is 04607680AA. Steering wheel harness is purchased to what options you have/want (there are three different ones). The SCCM (clockspring) should accommodate the steering wheel controls. They make two. Both cover all steering wheel options but one includes heated steering wheel circuitry.
Adding a RER/RHR to a car without the controls would probably be the easiest since the HFM is built in. The RHB would require a separate HFM and that would require activation more than likely and something I don't believe the dealer can do. YMMV

·
Registered
828 Posts
"Media Center 130 (RES)
NOTE: Uconnect™ Phone and Voice Command are vehicle options which must be ordered separately. The buttons on the radio will only be active if the vehicle has been equipped with the option."

this is what the dodge website says.... your radio is a 130 and then it is an option to have the Uconnect.

I swapped in a RER and then I just used the small external micophone that I installed on the windshield above my mirror out of site. You can get the mic on Ebay pretty cheap....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts