Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started a few days ago,

My navi shows my car all over the place sometimes miles away. I usually just leave it on the navi screen but now shes all screwed up. Ive heard everything from replacing the radio to replacing the antenna, but i have no idea to find the culprit. Out of warranty (damn 75k mi cap).

Ideas?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Ive been weary of updates. Ill have to dive into it After work.
FCA sent me an email saying an OTA update was going out to address a potential GPS error issue. They warned that if the update was not applied after 11/3 (??) the GPS will have serious issues.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FCA sent me an email saying an OTA update was going out to address a potential GPS error issue. The warned that if the update was not applied after 11/3 (??) the GPS will have serious issues.
Never got that letter. Sounds like she could be the culprit?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Never got that letter. Sounds like she could be the culprit?
It was a hot topic for a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 18.45.01 update should solve the issue, pretty much what it was released for. Go to DriveUconnect.com and input your VIN to see if its available for you. There seem to be some (lots?) of VINs that UConnect doesnt seem to think NEED the update, but they really do. There is a post on RAMforum with details about the update and links directly to the update file if UConnect doesnt seem think you need it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 18.45.01 update should solve the issue, pretty much what it was released for. Go to DriveUconnect.com and input your VIN to see if its available for you. There seem to be some (lots?) of VINs that UConnect doesnt seem to think NEED the update, but they really do. There is a post on RAMforum with details about the update and links directly to the update file if UConnect doesnt seem think you need it.
Just checked, looks like im due :(. Lets see if this will mess with my tazer and drive modes! I just got it to work and turn trac off when i hit sport mode

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just checked, looks like im due :(. Lets see if this will mess with my tazer and drive modes! I just got it to work and turn trac off when i hit sport mode
I dont think it will. I looked into the update file and compared it to 17.43.01 and there were very few changes.

The biggest one will be the GPS fix, which is why a lot of people that did the update are kinda wondering WHY they did the update.

I would unplug the Tazer from the OBD port while updating, just to be sure, but I still dont think it would be an issue.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
I had the tazer plugged in when I did mine (was too lazy to go diving in the trunck) and everything works. Heck I don't remove it even when I upload tunes with HP tuners.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
This just started a few days ago,

My navi shows my car all over the place sometimes miles away. I usually just leave it on the navi screen but now shes all screwed up. Ive heard everything from replacing the radio to replacing the antenna, but i have no idea to find the culprit. Out of warranty (damn 75k mi cap).

Ideas?
Hi, it sounds like your Uconnect system needs to be updated. The files for software level 18.45.01 is currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Alison
DodgeCares

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, it sounds like your Uconnect system needs to be updated. The files for software level 18.45.01 is currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Alison
DodgeCares
Im a RAM guy here, but over on RAM forums as well (and also Jeep Cherokee Club), there are PLENTY of people who see no update available when they input their VIN. Which is strange, because the TSB for this update says basically every RAM (Challenger, Charger, etc) with an RA3 or RA4 NEEDS the update.

If possible, please let the powers that be know the website seems inaccurate for at least some of that population.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here. Started about 2 weeks ago, where my GPS is off by 10-15 miles. I've got a 2017 T/A Plus.

According to the UConnect website, no updates are available for my VIN Number.

I was at the dealership on Saturday, and they were stumped --- their only advice was "Your radio is up-to-date, so you should contact UConnect."

Already tried the basics --- pulled the Radio fuse, and disconnected the battery for 20+ minutes. Hopefully the UConnect folks can help.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,957 Posts
Uconnect has suggested in the past going to an empty area, without guardrails or other large metal objects (like an empty parking lot ), and driving counter clockwise at least five times in a tight circle to recalibrate the GPS

A Guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Uconnect has suggested in the past going to an empty area, without guardrails or other large metal objects (like an empty parking lot ), and driving counter clockwise at least five times in a tight circle to recalibrate the GPS

A Guy
Should have mentioned, already tried the circle trick (2-3 different days).

At this point, I think it's just a software/update issue. Waiting for UConnect Tech to call me back.

Approx Nov 3, many of the radios "dropped" GPS/Satellite service. Various updates (either OTA, or USB Drive) were supposed to take care of this.

But the updates are specific to certain Model Years --- and I don't think 2017 MY is available yet? Or I think I might even have MY 17.5 (yes, a half-year Model). That's why going to UConnect and entering my VIN doesn't do any good, because UConnect hasn't "released" my update yet.

In a perfect world, the Tech is going to say "No problem, I'll email a link to you, and you can download the latest update to USB Drive." But I have a bad feeling it's going to be:

1) Sorry, your update won't be ready for a few months, or
2) Take your car to the Dealer, and they'll figure it out (even though I was @ Dealer 10 days ago, and they were stumped)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the TSB.

NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turn-by-turn, date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Here is the TSB.

NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turn-by-turn, date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
Yes, there was another large thread talking about this and also where the TSB was posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Should have mentioned, already tried the circle trick (2-3 different days).

At this point, I think it's just a software/update issue. Waiting for UConnect Tech to call me back.

Approx Nov 3, many of the radios "dropped" GPS/Satellite service. Various updates (either OTA, or USB Drive) were supposed to take care of this.

But the updates are specific to certain Model Years --- and I don't think 2017 MY is available yet? Or I think I might even have MY 17.5 (yes, a half-year Model). That's why going to UConnect and entering my VIN doesn't do any good, because UConnect hasn't "released" my update yet.

In a perfect world, the Tech is going to say "No problem, I'll email a link to you, and you can download the latest update to USB Drive." But I have a bad feeling it's going to be:

1) Sorry, your update won't be ready for a few months, or
2) Take your car to the Dealer, and they'll figure it out (even though I was @ Dealer 10 days ago, and they were stumped)
If you look on the System Information screen you should see your head unit part number. Can you relay that part number?

I have an RA4 that I transplanted into my RAM and the VIN of the donor truck STILL does not show the update available on Uconnects website. The interesting thing about my RA4 is that it was form a very late MY17 truck, and if I Google the part number it actually crosses back to a 2018 Cherokee head unit, so it might very well be equivalent to your MY17.5 unit. I think either UConnect hasnt manually updated the "needs an update" database yet, or they just arent good at making sure every possible VIN is covered. However, I got a copy of the update file and it installed just fine on mine.

You might want to do the same. There is a thread over on RamForum about it. A bunch of people have taken the file from there because UConnect's website is still convinced they dont need it. Their broken GPS is proof otherwise.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts