Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've searched around the forum for this question but can't find the answer I'm looking for. I can get a uconnect 8 radio from my pull a part for 100 bucks out of a wrecked 15' ram. It's an ra3 and I want to replace my uconnect 5 to the 8. But how do i figure out what the unlock code is? I don't want to pay almost a thousand for a new one from infotainment just to get an unlock code and radio when I can get the radio for 100 bucks lol

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!

My only worry is that my dealer close by would void my warranty. Would that be a possibility? I would think it would not be a possibility because it is a Genuine Mopar part. But then again these people said I risked my warranty being voided by putting in a dang Puralator air filter instead of a Mopar brand one.....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Thanks for the response!

My only worry is that my dealer close by would void my warranty. Would that be a possibility? I would think it would not be a possibility because it is a Genuine Mopar part. But then again these people said I risked my warranty being voided by putting in a dang Puralator air filter instead of a Mopar brand one.....
Your powertrain warranty should not be affected but heck give them a call and see if installing a different Mopar radio will void your warranty?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uconnect 8.4 upgrade 2016 sxt

Problems... read around and saw people losing their sport mode. Does anyone have solid instructions for how to keep your sport mode?

Some people have gotten radios from other vehicles and their sport mode works fine sometimes they don't.

Also I've seen on here people get 8.4s from other challengers and LOSE sport mode. Can anyone Please weigh in on these issues to clear up my confusion and worries? I have a 2016 sxt with 5.0 uconnect right now. Have a uconnect 8.4 from a ram

Brandon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If noone answers in here should I make a new thread? I'm asking because I don't want to irritate anyone with all these uconnect threads. There just isn't anything solid out there for 2016 with a list of Do's and Don'ts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Problems... read around and saw people losing their sport mode. Does anyone have solid instructions for how to keep your sport mode?

Some people have gotten radios from other vehicles and their sport mode works fine sometimes they don't.

Also I've seen on here people get 8.4s from other challengers and LOSE sport mode. Can anyone Please weigh in on these issues to clear up my confusion and worries? I have a 2016 sxt with 5.0 uconnect right now. Have a uconnect 8.4 from a ram

Brandon
Chally gave all the info you need. If you LOSE sport mode its because the 15 Ram did not have a sport mode. If you want it back you can get a Tazer to enable it, or chance the dealer to reflash the radio with proper sales codes for your car, this would also put the sport code back into the radio. However if your car is a 16 I personally would not put a 15 speced radio in your car. Get a 16 speced radio. You can also use the vin number from the donor car to get firmware updates when they become available online to keep the radio current. 100 dollars for radio 250 for tazer, total 350 for maybe working maybe not working. 1000 dollars for working 8.4 radio, the question is really what you want to spend the 550 dollars on. Spending time troubleshooting possible issues and dealers hassling you or time for someone else to have done all that already.

Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points sir. This stuff is confusing as heck. Some people that made the Initial upgrade thread that was ages long used ram radios that worked fine and kept sport mode but some people lost is so it was a crap shoot. Tazer will not reactivate sport mode if new radio disables it. Verified that with another member here. 900 bucks for a prepared guaranteed radio from infotainment is too steep for me. I was finding a cost saving way but given the crap shoot is there other suggestions to improving sound on uconnect 5.0?
I have already replaced all speakers. They just aren't very loud unfortunately

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good points sir. This stuff is confusing as heck. Some people that made the Initial upgrade thread that was ages long used ram radios that worked fine and kept sport mode but some people lost is so it was a crap shoot. Tazer will not reactivate sport mode if new radio disables it. Verified that with another member here. 900 bucks for a prepared guaranteed radio from infotainment is too steep for me. I was finding a cost saving way but given the crap shoot is there other suggestions to improving sound on uconnect 5.0?
I have already replaced all speakers. They just aren't very loud unfortunately

Thanks
Brandon
The Tazer only ADDs/SUBTRACTs sales codes from the radio, this enables/disables features that are in the radio. The radio should not be capable of deleting those. It either has or has not those codes. The rest of the car needs to have the hardware needed to support those sales codes. Like your Hvac controller has the sport button, push it and it tells the PCM to do whatever the PCM controls and tells the TCM to do what ever it does and the radio to show you those settings. I am not saying the radio wont disable it as if it has different codes to enable sport mode or even if it has NO code to enable sport mode then you wont be able to see sport with that radio. However it would be possible then you may still have the flag in the EVIC as your dash and BCM would still the control code to use the button. Not really sure on that as I have said in other threads I personally would not do that. If I used JY parts I would take only from same year or newer, same model, and if newer take everything that connected to the radio(Center HVAC controls, usb stack, BCM's).
Its not that you cant get this stuff to work, its you cant get most dealers to help you do this and they have all the hardware to make the software function, and you cant get the hardware needed unless your in the dealer service department. If you take everything from the same car you know all that stuff used to work together. Lots of work and or money depending however again you should have a pretty good expectation it would all work since it all worked in the car it came out of.
If you only want better sound from the radio you have I dont have any advice for you there.
Instead of buying speakers I would have bought the better radio. The problem for me is I am a computer tech, I am not an electrician. I know how to troubleshoot computers and isolate problems, I dont know how to wire anything like amp's to make it "better". I can tell you kenwood makes radios that work with aftermarket can bus controllers that will replace your OEM radio, however after all is said you WILL spend the same or more than getting the OEM radio and you WILL lose sport mode for almost certain.

Ron

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Also if the head unit you intend(ed) to purchase has already been upgraded to the latest firmware 17.11.07 then there is a good chance sport mode may not work despite it being plug and play with your challenger.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also forgot to add though:

Those that added the radio at the start, the screw holes are not in the right spot and they had to use zip ties to hold the radio in. Even though the bezel covers that up I dont see how that would not rattle after a while, and even though not a big deal as its out of site/mind, that type of thing would bug the crap out of me and I personally would fight myself all the time wanting to like the "upgrade" while every mile wondering why I spent even a dime to ziptie a radio to my new car. That is just me and even though I know its a little thing personally I would not be able to "like" it in my own car that cost me 30k.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,639 Posts
I don't think the Sport Mode bug affects the 2016 SXT with just a Sport mode button. It didn't affect mine. It seems to affect those with Sport Mode settings beyond just the steering feel, and unknown "performance" settings our cars have.

SPORT MODE — WITHOUT PERFORMANCE CONTROL

Your vehicle is equipped with a Sport Mode feature. This mode is a configuration set up for typical enthusiast driving. The engine, transmission (when equipped with automatic transmission), and steering systems are all set to their SPORT settings. Sport Mode will provide improved throttle response and modified shifting for an enhanced driving experience, as well the greatest amount of steering feel. This mode may be activated and deactivated by pushing the Sport button on the instrument panel switch bank.
A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Are you sure? My RT+ just has a sport button (no STP) and 3 levels of steering adjustment and it affected me. What does your sport mode button control...just steering? Or does your engine and shifting improve as well?

Reason I ask is I saw a someone with and SXT complain they lost sport mode using SRT pages enabled by Tazer. I know it is not uconnect firmware related and it is only one complaint but it sounds like the SXT sport mode might not be as robust as we once though?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Challenger/comments/6se75j/tazer_issues_on_2015_sxt/?sort=top

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,639 Posts
No, I'm not sure, but I never noticed any difference before to after. Really all I notice with sport mode on is a little higher shift point, and slightly different sound driving around. I have the steering set to sport all the time, regardless of turning the sport mode button on. I suspect the effect is more noticeable with the Hemis

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
My sport mode used to give a little kick when activated around 30mph. It also would change steering from normal to sport. Now it does nothing but illuminate the sport flag...but the Tazer will deny me that pleasure if I enable STP.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys,

Z auto is being difficult and isn't being all that nice lol. Their website for the tazer is very contradicting. On the FAQ section it says performance pages won't be unlocked in uconnect but in another part of the site it says if you upgraded from uconnect 5 to uconnect 8.4 the tazer will be able to add performance pages. It also says if your car has a factory 8.4 then performance pages won't unlock.

What is the difference? Just upgrading to the 8.4 radio gives me access to the performance pages on uconnect? They wont explain if this is correct or how it works so I'm at a dead end with all this confusion their site is causing

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Guys,

Z auto is being difficult and isn't being all that nice lol. Their website for the tazer is very contradicting. On the FAQ section it says performance pages won't be unlocked in uconnect but in another part of the site it says if you upgraded from uconnect 5 to uconnect 8.4 the tazer will be able to add performance pages. It also says if your car has a factory 8.4 then performance pages won't unlock.

What is the difference? Just upgrading to the 8.4 radio gives me access to the performance pages on uconnect? They wont explain if this is correct or how it works so I'm at a dead end with all this confusion their site is causing

Some radios get PP and some don't. I can get it if I rest my 8.4 but then it drops out once the 3G connection pops up. My radio is not registered and the 2 Uconnect reps I have spoken to insist my account is deactivated but some say it most likely is not which is the reason PP won't stay on permanently. I suspect the 5 year travel link trial might have something to do with it. I would say if your 8.4 is not linked to the Uconnect network there is a good chance PP will show up. Main thing for me is the EVIC shows the same info that PP does accept I don't get the nice gauges popping up on the 8.4 screen.

Infotainment sells a PP programmer but if you read their note...you must not have an active subscription/trial.
https://www.infotainment.com/collec...odge-jeep-performance-pages-programmer-c-ppmp

I think the folks at Zauto don't know the fool proof way of getting PP primarily due to the differences among the units in terms of software/hardware.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I'm thinking too because they seem to dodge the questions and answer in riddles lol. I finally got a message back from them and they told me donor car doesn't matter and that performance pages will be available on uconnect since it's coming from a different car. They said I will have performance pages because my computer and vin isn't registered as having no access to PP since it was only a 5.0 uconnect and it wasnt a factory 8.4 already programmed to not have PP with uconnect. Does that make any sense? I'm not smart with this stuff yet so no clue lol.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Makes total sense to me. LOL.... Anyway your vin is in a database with the type of radio you have. Uconnect can access your car only through the 3g cell tower in your car calling the vin# they have on file for that tower. Since the radio from the donor car can only be registered with uconnect with the vin from that car when you put it in your car the 3g tower will update to only connect to your car. Uconnect will still have the original vin so the push of anything (updates, service status, ETC) to that radio will get dropped as not being for the correct car, is that more understandable? Basically even if it was registered like Chally's was it will no longer accept any data from unconnect(to disable PP, enable features, deactivate features ETC) because the radio is no longer using the vin number of the original car so all of that data is invalid to use. Another way to look at that is in order for Uconnect to be able to update your car now with the new radio in it would be if you called them, gave them your vin number and all the other data from the radio to make everything match in their DB. People have tried this and it also fails as they mostly refuse to update the data needed for it to work. This is why you cant add the features that cost money(phone app starting/locking/unlocking/hot spot, ETC).

Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. This uconnect stuff is new for me so thank you for explaining. Just to clear myself up to make sure I understand, Upgrading my radio to the 8.4 from the donor vehicle should allow me to have performance pages on my uconnect screen due to uconnect not being able to connect to my challenger to restrict access to my performance pages?

Thanks for taking the time to explain this it is heavily appreciated sir!

Brandon

1 - 20 of 47 Posts