Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many owners can attest to, the Uconnect iPod interface cable that comes with '09 Challengers like my own plays music, but does not charge iPhones and newer generation iPods.

I've tried an adapter (the Scosche model), but the results were mixed as the adapter would charge the phone, but the physical connection was very flimsy and would cause it to lose sync to the stereo while playing music on a regular basis, which can be partially attributed to the lack of a "locking" mechanism on the adapter, like the factory cable has. This omission ended up making the adapter kind of useless.

Anyway, I just came across this aftermarket cable, and I was wondering if anyone had tried it yet:

Dodge Challenger 3G iPhone iPod Integration Harness

...or if there's a newer factory cable that can be ordered that charges iPhones and newer generation iPods?

·
Registered
241 Posts
As many owners can attest to, the Uconnect iPod interface cable that comes with '09 Challengers like my own plays music, but does not charge iPhones and newer generation iPods.

I've tried an adapter (the Scosche model), but the results were mixed as the adapter would charge the phone, but the physical connection was very flimsy and would cause it to lose sync to the stereo while playing music on a regular basis, which can be partially attributed to the lack of a "locking" mechanism on the adapter, like the factory cable has. This omission ended up making the adapter kind of useless.

Anyway, I just came across this aftermarket cable, and I was wonder if anyone had tried it yet:

Dodge Challenger 3G iPhone iPod Integration Harness

...or if there's a newer factory cable that can be ordered that charges iPhones and newer generation iPods?

Yea..the Scosche adapter is junk. The adapter you linked to in your above thread is actually NOT aftermarket (note it's covered by a Mopar warranty). The part you found is actually the new Mopar adapter cable that you need (it has a white instead of black end on it) so you have the right part. It's Mopar part number 82212001 and you can buy it online or pay a lot more and get it from your local dealer. I purchased it and it works great with my ipod touch 2nd gen and my wife's iPhone 3G, neither of which would charge with the black end cable that came with my 2009.

Hope that helps.

Eric

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome Eric, thanks for the heads up. Does that cable have the locking feature like the black cable did, that keeps the device physically locked to the cable?

Oh and is that about what you payed for it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Awesome Eric, thanks for the heads up. Does that cable have the locking feature like the black cable did, that keeps the device physically locked to the cable?

Oh and is that about what you payed for it?

It does lock on very well as your orginal cable did and yes I think that's a decent price...I think I paid $29 with free shipping but I can't recall where I ordered it from... :notallthere:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It does lock on very well as your orginal cable did and yes I think that's a decent price...I think I paid $29 with free shipping but I can't recall where I ordered it from... :notallthere:
Cool, I'm going for it. We'll find out whether these work with the iPhone 4 or not when it gets here. I'd imagine it will, because from what I've read, the reason iPhone 3G and newer devices don't charge on these older adapters is because somewhere along the line, Apple changed the voltage requirements for their charge/sync cables and standardized all their portable devices to that voltage ever since. I believe Apple devices used to support both Firewire and USB voltage levels for charging, then eventually they dropped Firewire from the mix, hence the reason the old factory cable only charges older Apple devices.

So by that logic, since my few-year-old iPod dock that charged my iPhone 3G also charges the 4th gen iPhone I have now, I'd be pretty surprised if this new cable worked with 3G phones, but not the 4, since they very likely use the same voltage to charge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Based on what I read you should be good to go with your 4th gen as well...let me know if you happen to think of it once you get it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the cable today, and I can confirm it does charge the iPhone 4, and appears to function similarly to the old cable otherwise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. It looks exactly the same as the old cable, 'cept that the end that connects to your iphone/pod is white instead of black.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With what radio?
They claim this does not work with the rer (nav), I dont have the rer but plan to upgrade to it and would love for it to charge my phone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With what radio?
They claim this does not work with the rer (nav), I dont have the rer but plan to upgrade to it and would love for it to charge my phone.
Mine is the REQ. I don't see why it wouldn't work with any vehicle that's optioned with the ipod connector in the center console, but I'm no expert, either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts