Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this happen several times, mainly over the last month, more than last year for sure.
Seems to be worse after long drives.
Only real downside was can't turn down music or even turn it off other than shutting down the car opening door, and "rebooting" it all. BUT when that happens, also, NO BACKUP CAMERA, and since that is now a mandatory safety item from May 2018 on, I think that there should be some type of extended warranty for mandatory items like that. I don't know, but I don't think it is touchscreen related on mine, BUT I'll find out soon. I just remembered today I had an appointment for state inspection, and dropped it over lunch. Then I walked back in and asked if they could check
1 - My in service date to see if I was still under bumper-bumper
2 - check if there was a known update/issue for the lockup uconnect issue.
He said well, I just checked and your in-service-date was... 7/21/2018! So tomorrow is my last day, lucky me!
So at least I got it documented while still under warranty, now I have the "OH NO, What else is wrong that I don't know about" feeling.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
420 Posts
I have had this happen several times, mainly over the last month, more than last year for sure.
Only real downside was can't turn down music or even turn it off other than shutting down the car opening door, and "rebooting" it all. BUT when that happens, also, NO BACKUP CAMERA, and since that is now a mandatory safety item from May 2018 on, I think that there should be some type of extended warranty for mandatory items like that. I don't know, but I don't think it is touchscreen related on mine, BUT I'll find out soon. I just remembered today I had an appointment for state inspection, and dropped it over lunch. Then I walked back in and asked if they could check
He said well, I just checked and your in-service-date was... 7/21/2018! So tomorrow is my last day, lucky me!
So at least I got it documented while still under warranty, now I have the "OH NO, What else is wrong that I don't know about" feeling.
This happened to me multiple times on my 2019, but not more than maybe 10 times over the 2 years I had it. It was really, really annoying but wouldn't act up on demand so the dealer couldn't do anything.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine has all the same issues as yours since two updates ago, lockups, bluescreens, backup camera issues, the radio keeps playing even with the car off and door open.
My 18 RT goes in Monday for a radio replacement. It's been about 4 weeks since the radio was ordered. I was advised to record the issues when it's happening for proof since it's not always reproducible. The dealer ordered another radio after I emailed them the videos I took. They state that it's common on all 18+, not just Challenger.

They added the new radio to my XM account already and it looks like a 2019 replacement. I know this because it turned off my XM subscription and attached it to the 2019 radio already... Here's to hoping the new radio is better.
My car has almost 9k miles on it. My 3-year warranty runs out in November.

I've found that if I let the car warm up for a little bit the radio has far fewer issues than just jumping in and putting it in reverse. I also tried removing my USB drive for a while which didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,355 Posts
Your Uconnect is "bricking"
If its anything like BOTH of mine that did same/similar, it will continue to get worse until one day its done for and will not self correct.
Dodge had to replace the head units each time, there is no repair and during summer, the units were backordered for months. do with that info what you will...

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I do have a USB drive plugged in that I don't typically with a ton of media, old radio shows type of stuff.
They are keeping it overnight to download from Dodge the update, and apply it to my car.
I'm just glad I got it documented today.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,512 Posts
See attached

A Guy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See attached

A Guy
I believe that is what they are doing today, thanks. And today is my car's 3rd birthday of being on the road, all grown up, no more security warranty blanket covering everything. It was 11 months on the road when I got it, time flies.

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,512 Posts
Happy Anniversary (y) I hope they get it fixed soon

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, as the screen turns continues...
They just called. Took until 11am to download the update from Chrysler. Took all lunch break to update to my car, which locked it up. Took them a couple more hours to get it back so the radio itself actually turns on. And I am getting a brand new (rebuild?) unit! And any repairs typically have a 1 year warranty, right? So I'll take that deal I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Mine has all the same issues as yours since two updates ago, lockups, bluescreens, backup camera issues, the radio keeps playing even with the car off and door open.
My 18 RT goes in Monday for a radio replacement. It's been about 4 weeks since the radio was ordered. I was advised to record the issues when it's happening for proof since it's not always reproducible. The dealer ordered another radio after I emailed them the videos I took. They state that it's common on all 18+, not just Challenger.

They added the new radio to my XM account already and it looks like a 2019 replacement. I know this because it turned off my XM subscription and attached it to the 2019 radio already... Here's to hoping the new radio is better.
My car has almost 9k miles on it. My 3-year warranty runs out in November.

I've found that if I let the car warm up for a little bit the radio has far fewer issues than just jumping in and putting it in reverse. I also tried removing my USB drive for a while which didn't seem to make a difference.
Hi Pioneer4x4 and F8HemiRT,
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your UConnect infotainment.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, I am told we get refurb units. It seems they have run out of 2018 models so we get the 2019 model. I joked I wanted the latest greatest for wireless android auto.

As I understand it there isn't really an aftermarket radio that works completely with the newer vehicles.
Most things can be controlled from the radio so when mine has issues the knobs did not work either.

Good Luck @Pioneer4x4 I hope everything turns out perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm in the wait and see holding pattern. I wonder what they did to get it back to functioning "temporarily". It still had all my personalization's, but kept prompting my phone for permissions. That is also another recent symptom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts