Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker and at the 40k mile mark. The touchscreen began delaminating a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse, now affecting the performance of the system, this includes the screen going "berserk" and randomly begins selecting the options on screen on its own. So I cannot listen to the radio nor can I keep the climate control set properly as it also gets changed due to the screen delamination. Essentially, my Connect is useless at this point.

Since I am out of warranty, will the dealership cover this defect or will I have to get this screen replaced out of pocket? Any assistance is much appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I read somewhere on this forum that there is a company that will replace the touchscreen without replacing the entire unit. I believe there was also a U-Tube video showing how they replace the touchscreen. It might be a lot less expensive going this route. Let us know what you decided to do and the results. The dealer's will only replace the entire unit at great expense, from what I have read.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had this done on a 2012 Dodge Journey. Exact screen. Over here in Canada it was about $300-$400. It can be done. Mine had cracked lower left corner.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Hey @mike3077 --

If you'd like us to look into this for you while you work with your dealer, feel free to send us a DM!

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

Reactions: mike3077

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive got a 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker and at the 40k mile mark. The touchscreen began delaminating a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse, now affecting the performance of the system, this includes the screen going "berserk" and randomly begins selecting the options on screen on its own. So I cannot listen to the radio nor can I keep the climate control set properly as it also gets changed due to the screen delamination. Essentially, my Connect is useless at this point.

Since I am out of warranty, will the dealership cover this defect or will I have to get this screen replaced out of pocket? Any assistance is much appreciated as this is driving me nuts.
Mine was a few hundred miles over they replace mine through a good faith effort replacement I only had to pay 100 , to extend the warranty on the new radio for two more years it’s worth a try good luck , but I believe the need to update and fix this issue it is a factory default for sure

Mine was a few hundred miles over they replace mine through a good faith effort replacement I only had to pay 100 , to extend the warranty on the new radio for two more years it’s worth a try good luck , but I believe the need to update and fix this issue it is a factory default for sure
Factory defect lol

Dodge and Chrysler needs to find a solution and fix the delaminating screen displays on these dodge /Chrysler vehicles as much money we spend on these vehicles there is in fact a defect causing the radio to delaminate on the inside the won’t withstand to much heat and humidity it destroys the stereo to become in a non working condition

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having the same exact problem! My screen in unusable. Please help @DodgeCares !!!
Any positive response from @DodgeCares? My 2017 Challenger SRT has the same delamination in the screen and now it’s just blacked out. This car was far too expensive for such a faulty screen. We bought ours new and tried to get the extended warranty, but they stopped offering it for the SRT. Mine is out of warranty as well. Any solutions for this being offered now?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a 2017 Challenger Scat Pack with the same issue. Tiny bubble appeared last year 1 month past warranty and has been slowly growing. I didn't have time to take it to a dealer prior to putting it away for the winter, but now that I have it out again I need to make this a priority. It's starting to flip out and press buttons on its own. Very disappointing manufacturing defect on an otherwise great car. I'll follow up with what the dealer says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat; 2017 5.7 TA, starting to bubble in the top left. If it's going to get worse I'd like to take care of it sooner rather than later. Any insight or updates on your experience is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm extremely sorry to hear that you're experiencing bubbling in your Uconnect touchscreens. Please know that you may visit Official Mopar Site | Warranty Information to learn more about your warranty. Since your dealer is equipped with the resources to properly diagnose the concern and appropriately apply the terms of your warranty, I kindly recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer to get this addressed. Your dealer may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information. If you would like our additional assistance while working with them, please feel free to follow up once you have a confirmed appointment and we can certainly offer that extra support!

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Durango R/T that’s doing the same thing. Called today to get in for the warranty only to find out the first owner purchased the vehicle in Oct. 2017, so now we’re out of luck. Was told approx $1500 for the dealer to replace it. But I also heard there was a $200 fix that you can do yourself. I’ve not looked into that yet though. Sucks to pay so much money to only continuing to shell it out on crap like this! I bought a screen once when I purchased the car. I shouldn’t have to buy another every two years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I took the '17 challenger to the dealer today to have the screen looked at. As expected, they simply quoted me a replacement unit and suggested I try Dodge Cares since it was out of warranty. The screen wasn't acting up/pressing buttons while there, but it started hitting the clock again on the way home. Its crazy that a garaged car driven 7 months of the year with 27000 miles on it has a failed screen!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
So I took the '17 challenger to the dealer today to have the screen looked at. As expected, they simply quoted me a replacement unit and suggested I try Dodge Cares since it was out of warranty. The screen wasn't acting up/pressing buttons while there, but it started hitting the clock again on the way home. Its crazy that a garaged car driven 7 months of the year with 27000 miles on it has a failed screen!
Hey there,

Sorry to hear about that. Just so you know, you're always more than welcome to get a second opinion from another dealer nearby. The dealer may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information. If you'd like an additional layer of support while working with whichever chosen dealer, I'd be more than happy to look into it.

Just let us know!

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Dodge Charger with the same issue. I just left North Point Chrysler Dodge in Winston-Salem, NC about 20 minutes ago. My extended warranty through The Warranty Group (TWG; aka Assurant) denied the insurance claim because the NP Chrysler Dodge service center told them that the cause of my radio (along with climate control, phone, GPS, and all things related to the screen) behaving sporadic and glitching was due to “screen is delaminating.”

My insurance company (TWG) said the radio and system works, and therefore they could not cover replacing it. Their rationale is that it is the actual touch screen that is the issue, and not the system. Only problem is, the NP Chrysler Dodge service center did not offer any other option to me but to replace the whole unit/radio/system.

I also spoke with Dodge Cares by phone (today) and they told me that I was out of warranty. It only lasts for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Long story short, I paid NP Chrysler Dodge $1,065.72 today out of pocket for a defect that Dodge is fully aware of. This covers parts and labor. They will call me in 4-5 days when the part arrives so that they can install it.

I am very disappointed in this. This is a KNOWN issue, and what’s to stop this from happening again since this is seemingly due to humidity and very warm/hot temperatures? I don't want to replace my radio every couple of years. This should be a class action lawsuit.

Thankfully, they didn’t charge me for the initial inspection, as you will see below in the photo. But still, I'm out of over $1,000 that I didn't plan on spending today. I had hoped to only pay a $200 deductible. This is unacceptable.
559A7E17-639A-40A2-BC28-4E0CBBC45BBA.jpeg
8C5AFA7E-6859-47BD-83B2-FE1E69F168FF.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,678 Posts
On Assurant TV warranties, they cover screen delamination if the technician confirms it is not physical damage or fluid damage. Delamination is a "natural" occurrence that is actually a defect in the display construction

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
On Assurant TV warranties, they cover screen delamination if the technician confirms it is not physical damage or fluid damage. Delamination is a "natural" occurrence that is actually a defect in the display construction

A Guy
I wish they saw things the way you described. Or at least the individuals who handled my claim.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
830 Posts
One of my buddies is dealing with this right now and is waiting to hear back from his @DodgeCares case manager. He has a 2018 Challenger SRT 392 that is just 3-weeks beyond its 36-month warranty ... and only has 5,000 miles on it. His car has spent its life in a climate-controlled garage so it hasn't been subjected to wide swings in temperature or humidity.

When he called the dealer where he bought his Challenger (and a previous Challenger ... and a 2019 RAM Big Horn ... and a Dodge/Chrysler Mini-van) he was bluntly told that he was out of warranty and that he'd have to pay a diagnostics fee for them to look at the vehicle. So ... he called Dodge Cares and is now waiting for a callback.

It's definitely a problem. Beyond what I've read on this board and others, another buddy just went through this last year with his 2017 Charger Scat Pack Daytona.

Are the newer (2019 - 2021) cars still experiencing this issue? Because ... frankly ... the screen delamination issue appears to be so prevalent with the newer model radios that it makes me think I can live without Apple CarPlay. And that means I'm not buying a new Dodge. At least not until Dodge extends the warranty and instructs their dealers to stop making customers jump through hoops when this manufacturer defect occurs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts