Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I wonder how many people (percentage-wise) are impacted by this issue. Of course, we'll never know for sure, but it would be interesting to see the numbers.

I also wonder if it impacts any model more than others - or any screen size more than others - for example, is it only an issue on 8.4" units with nav - and doesn't imapct 8.4" non-nav units (I believe that they are made by different manufacturers) - or does it only impact 8.4" units and not any 7" units?

I have a 2018 with the 8.4" non-nav model (aka "UAS") and have not yet experienced the issue. Does anyone here with an 8.4" non-nav unit have the issue? Has anyone with any screen size other than 8.4" experienced the issue?

Doesn't really help anyone, but I am kind of curious. May help us "predict" which units are most likely to experience the issue, so that they are at least somewhat prepared for it...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,657 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having issues with delamination of my touchscreen that recently started but has gotten progressively worse in the last month. It now goes crazy constantly and it won't even allow me to turn screen off. It tries to connect to everything, asks to change the time constantly, changes music, puts navigation on the screen when not in use. My warranty expired in November and this seems to be an issue that should be covered. Not sure what to do. I have tried sending a message to @DodgeCares but I'm unable to do that as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my new radio/touchscreen put in yesterday. It comes with a two year warranty, so thats good. Hate I had to come off $1000+ though. The car is only four years old! This shouldn’t be happening.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been waiting for two months for another radio to come in, original has minor delamination, compass outta whack, restarting constantly and rear camera going black.
The second one they installed didn't work right out of the box hence the waiting for another

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been waiting for two months for another radio to come in, original has minor delamination, compass outta whack, restarting constantly and rear camera going black.
The second one they installed didn't work right out of the box hence the waiting for another
Is an official Dodge Chrysler place installing it, or someone else? Mine was ordered, arrived and installed within a week.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
14 Posts
Before I take mine in, I just wanted to make sure this is the same issue. First noticed it about a month after the shop dealt with an issue of the screen just going completely black. At first I thought they'd just damaged it while working on it. Now I'm thinking I'm having the delamination problem. 2018 SRT 392 with less than 5k miles. Still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,589 Posts
If mine ever does that and isn't warranted, I would try disassembling it and ironing it back together. Hell, not like I'd make it worse!
Then I would buy a replacement screen and fix it myself.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
For those that are interested in fixing this themselves, I just found these on Ebay:

8.4'' Touch Screen LA084X01(SL)(01) Fit Jeep Dodge Chrysler Ram Radio GPS Navi | eBay

These have been hard to find. They accept offers, so offer them $100 or something and they'd probably accept.

From my research, this appears to be the correct one for the 2017+ 8.4" head-units (different ribbon connector than the older ones, from what I can tell).

Just FYI. $100 is a LOT better than $1k+ for a new radio. There are youtube videos showing how to replace them.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
For those that are interested in fixing this themselves, I just found these on Ebay:

8.4'' Touch Screen LA084X01(SL)(01) Fit Jeep Dodge Chrysler Ram Radio GPS Navi | eBay

These have been hard to find. They accept offers, so offer them $100 or something and they'd probably accept.

From my research, this appears to be the correct one for the 2017+ 8.4" head-units (different ribbon connector than the older ones, from what I can tell).

Just FYI. $100 is a LOT better than $1k+ for a new radio. There are youtube videos showing how to replace them.
Yeah, for $120, I have zero cares if/when mine fails. No different than replacing screens/digitizers in all the other tech stuff I have done, like 4 on iPod touches (2nd/3rd gen) and several phones. Looks like LG OEM screens, I wonder if they have been improved, or if a new version is coming down the pike. Almost worth getting one "on deck" for that price.
$1000 or anywhere near that is a whole other story, buying a complete new radio when only the outer screen layers are bad is stoooopid. And I'm sure you don't get your old one back for that $1000 either, which you could re-sell to someone that can repair it for $150ish.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yeah, for $120, I have zero cares if/when mine fails. No different than replacing screens/digitizers in all the other tech stuff I have done, like 4 on iPod touches (2nd/3rd gen) and several phones. Looks like LG OEM screens, I wonder if they have been improved, or if a new version is coming down the pike. Almost worth getting one "on deck" for that price.
$1000 or anywhere near that is a whole other story, buying a complete new radio when only the outer screen layers are bad is stoooopid. And I'm sure you don't get your old one back for that $1000 either, which you could re-sell to someone that can repair it for $150ish.
After posting, that is exactly what I did - I offered $100 and they accepted. I figured that it's likely to happen to me eventually as I tend to keep cars long-term, so I might as well get one while the gettins' good... :)

I couldn't find these anywhere for the longest time.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
After posting, that is exactly what I did - I offered $100 and they accepted. I figured that it's likely to happen to me eventually as I tend to keep cars long-term, so I might as well get one while the gettins' good... :)

I couldn't find these anywhere for the longest time.
Excellent, let us know in 6 weeks or whenever it gets here. Assuming it is the correct one, and you never need it, I'm sure you could always sell it for more than $100 "Part in hand" compared to shipped from China.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,657 Posts
So, do you change it when it arrives to make sure it works? Keep original for back up then? :devilish:

A Guy

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I definitely won't be changing it just to make sure it works. It's brand new, so I'm just going to assume that it works and keep it around for if/when I need it....

I'll post a follow-up when it does arrive though.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Before I take mine in, I just wanted to make sure this is the same issue. First noticed it about a month after the shop dealt with an issue of the screen just going completely black. At first I thought they'd just damaged it while working on it. Now I'm thinking I'm having the delamination problem. 2018 SRT 392 with less than 5k miles. Still under warranty.
Sorry to hear that. If you decide to get this properly addressed by your dealer and would like extra support, please send our team a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
14 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If you decide to get this properly addressed by your dealer and would like extra support, please send our team a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares
Thanks. Just scheduled an appointment but can't get in until July 20. I guess I'll see what they say and send a message if there is a problem. Still got 1.5yrs or 25k miles of warranty left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My uconnect 8.4 started delaminating and going crazy within the last month on my 2018 and my warranty just expired in May. The dealer told me I'd have to pay $1000 out of pocket for the replacement... I already paid so much to have this car just to have to deal with this factory error. Feels so unfair.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My uconnect 8.4 started delaminating and going crazy within the last month on my 2018 and my warranty just expired in May. The dealer told me I'd have to pay $1000 out of pocket for the replacement... I already paid so much to have this car just to have to deal with this factory error. Feels so unfair.
While you are waiting for July 20th to come around, I would look into getting a replacement screen and having your radio repaired. UpFix-Electronic Screen & Module Repair is one source. Their number is: (888) 979-9343. You may be able to find a shop closer to your location that will also remove your radio for you and reinstall it when the screen is replaced. There are also some u-tube videos on how to replace the screen.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread to say that I already received my new touchscreen from China.... Was packed VERY well and is definitely brand new (and a true LG part)....

Will now put it away in storage until/if my screen delaminates. Hopefully, I can actually find it if/when the time comes. :)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts