Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After close to 20 years of driving this is my first car accident EVER. Definitely not my fault. If anyone have any tips on what I should do and look out for please let me know. I'm doing everything I think I should but have no experience in this. I've only had this car for less than 6 months too! It's a 2016 RT Plus manual with 22,000 miles. All options except sunroof and the 500 watt stereo.

Already contacted both insurance companies and going through theirs cause I don't want to pay a dime since its not my fault. Mine has all the info but they know I'm going through the at faults insurance.

None of her Cadillac airbags even went off which was sad and surprising. Does my car look totaled? I was going to work when this happened. Can I make them pay for $$$ from a missed day of work? Can I make them pay for a rental car? I'm expecting to talk to her insurance claims guy in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would guess your car is totaled - would assume from the angle of the impact that the front subframe is tweaked, along with the obvious sheet metal and airbags to be replaced. Interesting that the CTS fared as well as it did - side impact from a 4200lb car and I would have expected worse damage. I am guessing a car that old had airbags that didn't work - as that much of a side impact should have set off the side curtain and seat mounted airbags in the CTS. In any case, push to have your car totaled and glad you are OK.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Just watch for their insurance trying to lowball you. I was involved in an accident a few months ago that was clearly not my fault and the other guys insurance only offered to cover 70% which was not even close to what I wanted. My car was totaled so I went through my insurance and they paid out top dollar. The case went to arbitration for a few months which was nerve racking because if my insurance didn't get enough money back, I was going to have this accident on my record with me being partially at fault. Well luckily a few weeks ago I got called and was told they won the case 100% and I'm off the hook completely.

It's hard to tell from the pictures if yours is totaled or not but I guess that's for the adjuster to figure out. My only advice is just do not instantly accept any offer handed to you. The insurance companies want nothing less than to make this go away as quick as possible and saying that they will cover 70-80 % will seem appealing to most people. But if you know for a fact this accident was not your fault, don't take anything less than 100%

Glad you're okay and hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Probably totalled. When my wife's car was hit while parked on the street the insurance from the other party took care of everything and paid for the rental car. It was very easy and the car was repaired like new.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only advice is just do not instantly accept any offer handed to you. The insurance companies want nothing less than to make this go away as quick as possible and saying that they will cover 70-80 % will seem appealing to most people. But if you know for a fact this accident was not your fault, don't take anything less than 100%
Thanks for the tips. This one especially will come in handy. If offered 80% I might have just went along and accepted without knowing any better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know all this will be handed but... man am i disappointed tonight. I spent 5 months car shopping until I found the Challenger I wanted with the right options, wheels, mileage, price, and color. This is the only vehicle in the last 20 years that made me go out and buy one. Before this car I was perfectly happy driving my F150 until the wheels fell off. Didn't even make it 6 months and there is a chance its totaled. ugh.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm a collision repair professional. Your car is definitely a total loss. It has substantial structural damage. Do not allow it to be fixed. The insurance companies will attempt to swing you to one of their "recommended" shops.

This is a scam. Recommend shops work for the insurance companies, not you. These shops (many of them) will cut corners and do unsafe repairs, that are not inline with OEM procedures. The insurance company will most definitely screw you on your value.

Go here:
Collision Safety Consultants

Hire him. I believe his fee is a flat $400 but he will likely get you several thousand additional on your total loss value. He will also prevent that hunk of crap from being repaired. And trust me, you don't want it repaired.

It's also not surprising that her airbags did not deploy. The SRS system makes many determinations before allowing the airbags to fire.

Which brings me back to unsafe repairs.... on many cars the door is pressure sensitive. Basically, (and this is very over simplified), you have what is basically an electric whistle. The force of impact pressurizes the air within the door, if the air is pressurized quick enough, it blows the electric whistle. Blowing the whistle tells the side curtain airbags to fire.

I have pulled apart many doors, that have been worked on at other shops, where things like vapor barriers and hole plugs have not been replaced or installed. Air leaks will prevent the whistle from blowing or increase the impact force need before it blows.

The owner would never know that they were driving something in which passenger safety had been compromised.

This could be why her side curtain airbags did not deploy, or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically, (and this is very over simplified), you have what is basically an electric whistle. The force of impact pressurizes the air within the door, if the air is pressurized quick enough, it blows the electric whistle. Blowing the whistle tells the side curtain airbags to fire.
I'm always amazed at how much thought/engineering goes into these cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At least you weren't seriously hurt!!! You may want to get some legal advice so you don't get taken advantage of……

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm always amazed at how much thought/engineering goes into these cars.
I just want to say that I'm not affiliated with Collision Safety Consultants in any way but I do know and respect the work Billy does. He is one of the few people in this industry that is really working for positive change.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Remember their (and your) insurance is not there to make you whole. Their whole job is to get the claim settled for as little as possible. As others have said, push to have your car totaled and then tell the insurance company to either give you full retail price or another car just like yours in exactly the same condition with the same mileage. Make your accepting the car subject to inspection by a mechanic of your choice. DO NOT give either insurance company an inch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After close to 20 years of driving this is my first car accident EVER. Definitely not my fault. If anyone have any tips on what I should do and look out for please let me know. I'm doing everything I think I should but have no experience in this. I've only had this car for less than 6 months too! It's a 2016 RT Plus manual with 22,000 miles. All options except sunroof and the 500 watt stereo.

Already contacted both insurance companies and going through theirs cause I don't want to pay a dime since its not my fault. Mine has all the info but they know I'm going through the at faults insurance.

None of her Cadillac airbags even went off which was sad and surprising. Does my car look totaled? I was going to work when this happened. Can I make them pay for $$$ from a missed day of work? Can I make them pay for a rental car? I'm expecting to talk to her insurance claims guy in the morning.
I would delete any estimated speeds you were traveling at off of a public forum.

Am not sure what year Cadillac she was in? But it may not have had side curtain air bags? It looks older & thinking 2007 was approximately when those were becoming standard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
car is definitely totaled after I read up on airbag deployment and structural damage. I don't think they would even think about fixing it.

Anyway. I've already got both insurance companies up to date and lawyered up with the best I have locally. This has been quite an experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
First off anytime you talk to the either insurance company they are recording everything you say. I was involved in an accident the doctor gave me pain pills. The next day they called to see how I was feeling, I said right now I feel good on these pills. During negotiations they played the I feel good part. As far as fixing your car, don't let them repair if it needs to be totaled.
I'd advise getting a lawyer, best of luck.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't forget Carfax and such - everyone will know your car was close to totaled, if not.
That could be the other 20-30% in value to you on resale, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts