Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2012 Black Challenger, gave it the first good washing over the weekend and noticed on the hood between the scoops that the paint was peeling. I was heart broken does anyone know if this would be covered under the factory warranty, and what could of caused it. Looks like something got on it and ate away some spots in a almost cat paw type shape ( I know sounds odd) I took it to a body shop and they want to charge me $780 to sand it down and repaint the whole hood, there has to be a easier fix suggestions? Its not really noticeable but it is to me so it drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,694 Posts
If the clear coat or clear & color coats are pealing, there's not much that can be done except repainting of the whole body panel. And that sounds like the case if that's what the body shop told you they would have to do.

I can't speak to it being covered under the general warranty or not. If it is a paint defect, and not something caused by something external, e.g. vandalism, I would think it would be covered under the 3yr/36K mile warranty. But that's just my educated guess, I don't know that for a fact.

Reactions: jstark125

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your feedback, I am thinking about taking it up to Dodge on Friday on my day off t see what they say fingers crossed on the warranty. I was looking at those hood scoops to put on it as to cover it up but thats only going to be a temporary fix, or of course there was always going with the racing stripes but was trying to avoid that route to.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Not sure if you bought the car new off the lot, as an old year still sitting there, or used from a dealership or private sale. But if you are within the warranty period then take it in and get it looked at. They will have to take pictures and send a claim in to Chrysler for approval or denial. The more info you have the better off you are in getting a paint claim approved for warranty.

You should also take a really careful look at the rest of the car and see if there are any other panels that have any issues. There have been more than a few paint quality issues over the years with the LC/LX platform cars that have been covered. Good luck.

Reactions: jstark125

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I plan on riding up there Friday when I'm off. The only other issue was small hail damage on the roof but I don't think the warranty is going to cover that. I just feel for a yr old vechile with around 20k in mileage the paint should be in top notch condition for the most part

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
hail damage is usually a pretty easy fix by a reputable PDR (paintless dent repair) person. You are right in that unless the hail damage was done while the car sat on the dealership lot and you did not pick it out it will not be covered.

BTW - to fix our roofs PDR has to be done via hot glue, rubber pulls and a great eye. You cannot get in behind our roofs without pulling the head liner and even then it can be really tricky because of the way our cars are built. Just make sure you find someone who knows what they are doing and for a couple hundred they will usually go over your whole car and see stuff they even you did not see.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just bought a 2012 Black Challenger, gave it the first good washing over the weekend and noticed on the hood between the scoops that the paint was peeling. I was heart broken does anyone know if this would be covered under the factory warranty, and what could of caused it. Looks like something got on it and ate away some spots in a almost cat paw type shape ( I know sounds odd) I took it to a body shop and they want to charge me $780 to sand it down and repaint the whole hood, there has to be a easier fix suggestions? Its not really noticeable but it is to me so it drives me nuts.
Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately, there's no way for any of us to comment on what could have caused it, as we haven't even seen it. Unless your car is beyond the mileage limit, it's still covered under factory warranty, so take it to the dealer and have them inspect it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headed to the dealer first thing Friday morning, I will let you guys know how I make out. I appreciate everyones help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to update everyone went to the dealership and of course they dont want to file the warranty. There trying to tell me it is tree sap on the hood and if I bought a bug and tar remover it would come off. I went to pepboys and picked some up and of course it didnt work. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Wanted to update everyone went to the dealership and of course they dont want to file the warranty. There trying to tell me it is tree sap on the hood and if I bought a bug and tar remover it would come off. I went to pepboys and picked some up and of course it didnt work. Any suggestions?
Detailing clay is the best thing for tree sap, but seems odd they say its just sap and body shop said paint defect.

Can u post a pic or two of the spot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you can tell me how to post a pic on here sure, sorry still kind of new to the forums.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
if you can tell me how to post a pic on here sure, sorry still kind of new to the forums.
Below the text area where u type ur message for a new post, there's a "Manage Attachments" button, hit that button and it will open a new window. On that window you can use the "Browse" button to locate the pic on ur phone or computer, then hit "Upload" button to attach it to the post.

Once done, click "Close Window" at top or bottom of that attachment page, and you will end up back on the original page where you type your messages in. Then it's just like you have been doing - type message and click "Submit" to post it to the thread for others to see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill have to take them tomorrow, its to dark out tonight and the flash on my phone is putting off a really bad glare. Im suppose to be getting my hurst comp stick and plate in tomorrow so I plan on installing it, any idea how difficult it will be?

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Duplicate post removed

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Ill have to take them tomorrow, its to dark out tonight and the flash on my phone is putting off a really bad glare. Im suppose to be getting my hurst comp stick and plate in tomorrow so I plan on installing it, any idea how difficult it will be?
It can be difficult to get pictures up close on the paint to turn out well, especially when the flash is used. I have found that shining a flashlight on the area to be photographed and not using the flash sometimes works, but if you are going to try in daylight, you won't have to worry about that.

Also, if the spot you are photographing is not contrasted enough against the paint color, the camera may not be able to focus on it, and you'll get blurry pics. If that happens, just put your finger on the paint next to it, like your pointing at it, and the camera can focus on your finger and hopefully show the targeted paint spot as well.

As for installing the Hurst stuff, I have no idea how easy or hard that is. I do know I see "Hurst" in a lot of thread titles in the Interior section of this forum, so you should be able to find some installation info there.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I was incorrect earlier, when the "Manage Attachments" window pops up, the button you click to select pic for upload from phone says "Choose" on it, not "Browse" like I stated before.

Also, the attached pic is an example of peeling clear coat. If yours is peeling, I would think it would look similar to this in some fashion.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't look like thankfully, I tried taking some pics today but it was raining. It would be where the white spots are in the attached pic, there extremely rough to the touch as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
That does look like tree sap or a bird dropping that was allowed to bake itself onto the finish. You can try a clay bar, or you could check with a local detail shop that does paint correction, but if you can feel it then it may be too far damaged. You mentioned not wanting stripes, I don't know if that was a personal preference or if the cost was a factor, but that might actually be your cheapest option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it to a local paint and body shop here in town and they told me I would have to get the hood sanded down and repainted I'm looking at roughly $400 to do it. I've thought about stripes just to cover it up but finding something unique and doesn't take away from my cars appearance is the hard part, plus finding a place to install them. I'm going to try the clay bar like you suggested I've never used one before so any tips or suggestions be deeply appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Claying a car, or a panel for that matter, is quite simple. Just follow the directions in the kit and you'll be OK. My only real tip is that if you happen to drop the clay on the floor (or ground), don't use it ever again, you will get a scratch. Your best bet is to use the bar in smaller pieces in case this happens, then you're not trashing the entire piece. Most any parts store will have the Maguires kit containing the clay bar and lubricant, its under $20.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts