Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The challenger with its huge ass rear light bar that can be seen from the moon.... why on earth do they think that this setup looked " Musclecar" ?
This weekend I'm painting over the center trunklid part of my tail lights and save the reverse light and blinker/stop/tail on the far end

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
I think that the Challenger's tail lights are very cool and work well with the retro styling. The 2008-2018 Challenger tail lights were supposed to mimic the ones on the original 70s Challenger. In addition, they have prisms built into them to pop, at night, like the LEDs did in the 2006 concept car. The designers did a fantastic job. Watch these two designer interviews.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally I love the taillight setup. Blacked everything out with a stone white body is very nice looking.
Also Have sequential installed so all 4 lights on each side are for signals and brakes. Love it!

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
The tail lights on the '08-'14 are unmistakable at night- and it was one of those features on the '70 that make it unique as well. And having the sequential turn signals is that additional 'pop'.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To each their own, one of the few things keeping me from updating to the updated 15+ model are the tail lights, I prefer the old style..its fitting for a big strong car

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had a 14 and now have a 17. Love both sets of lights. It goes well with the body style and you know when you have a Challenger infront of you.

I guess it's a matter of choice/preference.
I'm happy with both designs, it's what people see the most as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
The challenger with its huge ass rear light bar that can be seen from the moon.... why on earth do they think that this setup looked " Musclecar" ?
This weekend I'm painting over the center trunklid part of my tail lights and save the reverse light and blinker/stop/tail on the far end
Young man,

You sound like the entertainer/sports stars that put their political view at the front not realizing that they just pissed off half of their fan base.

I love the early style, that's what got me to jump off the bench and buy a 2014 before the new design 2015 models came out.

As other have said you can buy all sort of overlays to suit your taste.

:pokeowned:

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I preferred the taillights of my 09 over the ones on my '15. This is really going to be the case when warranty is out and one of these silly LED units that everybody cried around for fails vs $2 for a taillight lamp that only failed every 10-20 years anyway.

All that said I never see the taillights of my Hellcat except when doing a safety check so it doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Happen to see a Cuda tail light treatment tonight coming home and it looked great but I do prefer the pre-15 tail treatment especially with the sequential treatment.

You don't have to like what I do to my car, I don't have to like what you do to your car.

But I will respect it and give you a rev and a wave on the road.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I specifically bought my 2014 RT Plus because I LOVED the front grill and taillights. Didn't care for the 2015 style and still don't. Installed my sequentials to even improve the look. I have been to many art museums where people claimed to be an artist. I didn't see it. Then again....opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.:grin2:

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,709 Posts
I'm one of the ones on here that like the 2015+ tails better than the earlier versions.

Retro is nice to a point, but I like the modern look of the newer models better. It looks cleaner to me and suits the car better.

Once again, just my .02 and usually you get what you pay for! :D

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I'm one of the ones on here that like the 2015+ tails better than the earlier versions.

Retro is nice to a point, but I like the modern look of the newer models better. It looks cleaner to me and suits the car better.

Once again, just my .02 and usually you get what you pay for! :D
I've owned both and liked both of them - I like the more rounded off edges of the fascias on the '15+ better - along with the rear fascia, the black lower trim and rear valance took some of the visual "mass" out of the rear.

The '08 - '14 have a more blocky fascia - the rear bumper looks pretty bulky compared to the newer design which refined the design a bit more.

I've seen a '15+ and earlier style ahead of me on the road in neighboring lanes - the '15+ looks a little smaller - the curves give a different effect.

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
I specifically bought my 2014 RT Plus because I LOVED the front grill and taillights. Didn't care for the 2015 style and still don't.
When the Challenger made its debut in 2008, the grill and tail lights were modeled after the 1970 Challenger because that was the most iconic design and the one most remembered. The design on the 1971 model was not as well received by the buying public.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OP, so, why did you BUY it again? Here is a 1970 that the "light bar" treatment is emulating. Granted this is not the best angle, but it has been 32 years since I owned that car, I only have 2 pictures of it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,945 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the big red tail on the pre 2015s. It doesn't look bad, but my eye goes more towards the minimalist designs.

A Guy

1 - 20 of 90 Posts