Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a Ford dealership just a few miles from my house, i always drive by it as slow as traffic permits lol. I do love the new 5.0. All of a sudden i spot a silver scat pack with a 2019 hood in the used section. Of course i had to go look. Salesman comes out, and perks of a small town, i know him. It's a super slow day, he had the key fob with him already and said let's go and handed me the fob. Turned out some rich gentleman put 1800 miles on it before he realized he actually wanted a new Bullit.

I had never actually test drove a scat pack because they were always out of my budget and i knew if i did i would be in trouble. The power was freakin AWESOME but i must admit, being an A8 just didn't really do it for me. Welp i think I'm in trouble cause I've started the ol internet car search thing lol.

Anyways, just a little story i felt like sharing. Anyone else feel like the A8 just wasn't meant for them? I know they are faster than the M6 but honestly my car will never see the track.

Edited: Sorry everyone, I'm a dumb @ss and thought you all are supposed to know what i know haha. I do own an RT challenger with the m6.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There's a Ford dealership just a few miles from my house, i always drive by it as slow as traffic permits lol. I do love the new 5.0. All of a sudden i spot a silver scat pack with a 2019 hood in the used section. Of course i had to go look. Salesman comes out, and perks of a small town, i know him. It's a super slow day, he had the key fob with him already and said let's go and handed me the fob. Turned out some rich gentleman put 1800 miles on it before he realized he actually wanted a new Bullit.

I had never actually test drove a scat pack because they were always out of my budget and i knew if i did i would be in trouble. The power was freakin AWESOME but i must admit, being an A8 just didn't really do it for me. Welp i think I'm in trouble cause I've started the ol internet car search thing lol.

Anyways, just a little story i felt like sharing. Anyone else feel like the A8 just wasn't meant for them? I know they are faster than the M6 but honestly my car will never see the track.
I had an A8 Charger 5.7 and been wanting a Scat Pack. I knew I would love it without test driving one first. I love the A8 and about 1/2 of my personal (not family's) cars have been manuals. When I looked for a Scat Pack Challenger, I didn't even bother to consider the transmission, I knew I would like both. And I think I am glad I ended up with the A8, but yeah, nothing like dropping the hammer on the man pedal and going heavy on the loud, and rowing through up and down. Until, traffic jam, on a hill, with slippery roads, for 30 minutes straight. Plus slightly better performance, economy, comfort, and remote start, all for $400 (difference over gas guzzler tax). I know why I got it, and I fully understand why someone else wouldn't. Odd thing is, if damned Dodge would just put the thing IN A CHARGER, I WOULD buy a manual Charger! I almost bought the 4 door Chevrolet SS for that, hell, Cadillac did it, IN A WAGON. GM (Australia) does muscle better than Dodge, just they don't know it, or market it correctly. Anyway, rant over, play with the A8 in all 3 modes, you may learn to appreciate it more.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Migs...does it matter if ALL of us said to get an Auto and YOU would not really be happy without a Manual?

You should get what truly would make YOU happy....since WE are NOT making the payments!!

Personally I have never "followed the Jones's". I always try to be different and get what makes ME happy.....since I am paying for it. I chose the A8 because of decades of shifting gears.......and the new Autos are amazing. I must admit in stock form....the shifts were lackluster. But after a good Tune....it bangs each gear and is much faster than a manual....and that matters to me. Plus...I am way more relaxed when I drive it...and for me...more enjoyable.

If your heart is on a Manual trannie......get one and enjoy one of the sweetest rides you will ever have my friend.....Gene:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
My 16’ 426 charger with an a8 is the first auto I’ve owned in many many years. With the amount of power on hand and the speed of the shifts in track mode, there is zero love lost for a clutch. I drive it in manual mode 99% of the time. Only time sees auto is racing. It’s an unbelievable trans. Definitely don’t let that be your deciding factor. These cars are amazing. Happy hunting!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Love the A8 too. I always drive in Sport Mode, and has already been stated, I don't miss the clutch pedal in the least.

I don't track my car in any format. All that I can say is that the 392/A8 combo is killer on the street, from puttering around to throwing it around.

The above is me, and do what makes you grin. It's your money and smile that counts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Migs...does it matter if ALL of us said to get an Auto and YOU would not really be happy without a Manual?

You should get what truly would make YOU happy....since WE are NOT making the payments!!

Personally I have never "followed the Jones's". I always try to be different and get what makes ME happy.....since I am paying for it. I chose the A8 because of decades of shifting gears.......and the new Autos are amazing. I must admit in stock form....the shifts were lackluster. But after a good Tune....it bangs each gear and is much faster than a manual....and that matters to me. Plus...I am way more relaxed when I drive it...and for me...more enjoyable.

If your heart is on a Manual trannie......get one and enjoy one of the sweetest rides you will ever have my friend.....Gene:)
Thanks Gene! They are all awesome cars! Maybe my post reads a little misleading (not my intention) i will get whatever car makes me happy of course. I was only wondering if anyone else has more love towards the m6.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I've owned MANY manual transmission cars over a period of 5 decades. The last three were an '06 Mustang GT, '10 R/T Classic, and '11 SRT. When the the A8 became available in 2015, and there were so many overwhelming positive reviews of it OVER the 6 spd, I made the transition from manual to automatic the following year in 2016. I ordered my SRT A8 equipped without ever test driving one. I'm really glad I did since I don't miss the manual in any way, shape, or form. If and when I buy another Challenger, it will definitely be another A8, it's that good.
If you're in serious doubt, by all means drive one vs. the other to see for yourself what suits your needs best.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Love the A8, I am always driving mine in manual mode. I decide when it should up-shift and downshift gently.
I like going back to seventh and letting it pull up the hill at a little higher RPM than eighth. Sounds good also.
The engine and A8 have a good natural feel of when to go to 7th and back to 8th. Let the torque converter lock up and it motors down the highway (y) its just a fun car to drive. Scat pack is awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts