Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Hurst in to the dealer today to replace all the TPMS sensors under warranty. While removing a tire they scratched the hell out of a rim.

The service manager came and got me and showed it to me. He said he will be ordering a new rim at no charge, of course. I wonder if he has any idea how much the 20" Hurst rim costs? MSRP is $2995 for a set. I wonder how much a single rim will end up costing them?

All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't the technician who did the scratch.'

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Kudos to him for his honesty. A lot of places wouldn't say anything, and then when you find it a couple days later, they'll swear it wasn't them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Glad they were stand up! Don't seem to find that a lot anymore. Hate it for the rim though.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, kudos to them. I gave this dealership good props in a previous thread for their service. Here's another one for their honesty.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The SRT8 Alcoas are a thousand bucks a copy. Those are probably in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good on the dealer for owning up. Raises an interesting point - when I got a set of aftermarket wheels shipped to my house from a supplier, I had a hard time finding a place to have them mounted. All the major name tire shops wouldn't do it - said they were afraid of scratching up the rims with their equipment. They all recommended a place that uses a "touchless" computerized system - I went to that place and they said they had one of those systems and could mount my rims without any scratches or damage to the finish. Sure enough - no problem.

I only mention it because as many have noted - some places won't own up to it, or mention beforehand the risk of damage associated with their equipment. I think I was lucky all the tire guys pointed out the risk and declined, but provided me a solution to getting the rims mounted without damage.

·
Registered
726 Posts
x

Good on the dealer for owning up. Raises an interesting point - when I got a set of aftermarket wheels shipped to my house from a supplier, I had a hard time finding a place to have them mounted. All the major name tire shops wouldn't do it - said they were afraid of scratching up the rims with their equipment. They all recommended a place that uses a "touchless" computerized system - I went to that place and they said they had one of those systems and could mount my rims without any scratches or damage to the finish. Sure enough - no problem.

I only mention it because as many have noted - some places won't own up to it, or mention beforehand the risk of damage associated with their equipment. I think I was lucky all the tire guys pointed out the risk and declined, but provided me a solution to getting the rims mounted without damage.
You're exactly right. If you've ever watched them cranking down on the tire to seat it on the rim using a solid steel bar while the whole assembly spins, it would make you cringe with the potential for damage. What's the name of your shop and are they national? Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I bought some Torq Thrust wheels that came with a plastic ring to protect the rim during mounting. Took it to a local place I trust and they mounted them very slowly using the protection rings. Not a scratch. Paid the guy operating the tire machine a little extra. I watched him mounting the tires and he was extra careful.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You're exactly right. If you've ever watched them cranking down on the tire to seat it on the rim using a solid steel bar while the whole assembly spins, it would make you cringe with the potential for damage. What's the name of your shop and are they national? Thanks
I used a local tuner shop in northern VA called "Performance Tuning" or "P-Tuning" as they are commonly known around here. Not national, but I've also been told that some upscale car audio shops that also deal in expensive rims also use that "touchless" system. We have one of those in my area too (its also just a local shop).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kudos to him for his honesty. A lot of places wouldn't say anything, and then when you find it a couple days later, they'll swear it wasn't them.
Seriously, when I got a supposedly good Audio shop to install my rear speakers (cause they are a huge pain and nonstandard mounts so some customization had to be done for the speakers I was putting in), they chipped the paint on the edge of the door, then completely denied it. I just washed it that morning, I would have notice the chip, and it was the passenger door, no one else had opened that door but them. Jerks.

The last time I let any shop touch my car....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts