Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, no one bought their Challenger for the gas mileage, but let's face facts. Gas is going up, no one knows where it will peak, and I would bet the MPG factor is on the minds of at least 75% of the people on this forum. There's too many threads started and responded to if it wasn't.

That said, (and this is for 6M owners) has anyone definitively figured out where the optimum RPM shift point is for in-town driving that delivers the best fuel economy and doesn't let the engine bog down. I personally believe you can granny the car too much and get into a region where you're hurting your mileage instead of helping. Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The answer is dependent on brake-specific fuel consumption. Would that we had a chart that showed that number on an RPM scale. I tend to top out around 2k, but my memory is fuzzy, since I haven't driven the car since September.

·
Super Moderator
15,969 Posts
For in-town driving and going for higher MPG, shifting ~ 2 - 2.2k is a good compromise, then upshift will have you ~ 1,500rpm which won't lug the engine and allow acceleration.

Any lower rpm than that, and you're holding the throttle more open and the higher % of throttle with high engine load means longer injector "on" cycle and less MPG.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts