Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if this following modification is possible, feasible, and worth investigating.

I thought that having a Hellcat that looked like an SXT would be the "ultimate sleeper". Can you take a Hellcat, replace the front facia, hood, deck lid with ones from an R/T or SXT? (stock hood scoops/chin spoiler/foglamps, etc...). Might have to use the functional R/T hood scoops and customs connect them to the Hellcat air-box. Is there anything about this that wouldn't work?

If that body mod was possible, I'd replace the stock Hellcat wheels with something that approximates the appearance of some stock SXT brushed aluminum wheels (even thought they'd be 20's instead of 18's). Remove all Hellcat badging. Maybe even add SXT badge for the final "sheep's clothing" touch.

I'd do this in Silver, Gray, or white....something that looks like a rental-car Challenger SXT, but would be a Hellcat underneath.

Is this madness? Or something to look into further?

I'm remembering my youth, when people dropped big-block Chevy Rat motors into rusty old Chevy IIs or Impalas, on painted steel wheels, and gobs of bondo still showing, and called them "sleepers". A buddy had a 327 in a Rambler wagon. Looked like grandma's grocery getter. I'd love to see the look on modern GT500 or SS Camaro driver's face when dusted by what looks like a V-6 Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
15,351 Posts
Does anybody know if this following modification is possible, feasible, and worth investigating.

I thought that having a Hellcat that looked like an SXT would be the "ultimate sleeper". Can you take a Hellcat, replace the front facia, hood, deck lid with ones from an R/T or SXT? (stock hood scoops/chin spoiler/foglamps, etc...). Might have to use the functional R/T hood scoops and customs connect them to the Hellcat air-box. Is there anything about this that wouldn't work?

If that body mod was possible, I'd replace the stock Hellcat wheels with something that approximates the appearance of some stock SXT brushed aluminum wheels (even thought they'd be 20's instead of 18's). Remove all Hellcat badging. Maybe even add SXT badge for the final "sheep's clothing" touch.

I'd do this in Silver, Gray, or white....something that looks like a rental-car Challenger SXT, but would be a Hellcat underneath.

Is this madness? Or something to look into further?
The fascia on the 'Cat is different as there are coolers for:
*engine supercharger
*transmission cooler
*remote engine oil cooler

which are the reasons why the foglights are deleted - engine oil cooler on one side and the s/c is on the other. The ACC is n/a as well since it would be in front of the s/c cooler.

The 'Cat fascia is also flatter in shape vs. the versions used on other models, where the center is peaked and the 'Cat is flatter across - likely to provide clearance for the cooler modules

So those mods to install a different fascia would probably defeat the performance of a 'Cat. The engineers did all these changes for a reason - not just simply for styling. So you'd end up with a neutered 'Cat if the SXT / R/T fascia would even fit.

The standard hoot might fit - IIRC, the mules had standard hoods - hard to say if clearances would be tight thought. The IHI s/c unit does sit tall on that engine.

The development mules for the 'Cat driveline ran in the earlier "LC" body ('11-'14 version) and they likely encountered the cooling system needs as well as being able to run it for the 20 laps at the track w/o going into heat soak conditions.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,531 Posts
Hope you don't go too narrow in tire size....that sucker would be difficult to launch without a big smoke show.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IF it were to come to fruition, I'd have to keep the wide HC tires, and try to disguise them with the plain/jane stock looking aftermarket wheels.

Based on all of the "cooler" clearance issues, this mod probably won't happen. I was hoping to go to the dealer's body shop, plunk down some $$$ for some R/T and SXT body parts and say "Here you go, boys. Bolt these on." Maybe even take it to the local High School Vo-tech and have them use it for education purposes. I'm not skilled enough to make the modifications that it sounds like would be needed to adapt the SXT front clip to the HC's coolers, and it sounds like the dealer body shop or HS vo-tech teacher probably won't either.

I do plan to 'de-badge" my next Challenger. Hoping for a T/A 392 (stripe delete) in Maximum Steel with the satin black roof and hood. Remove the badges and T/A stripe. Add the black hood pins. Rather than "down badging", going for "no badging".

·
Registered
274 Posts
Probably to 90% of the population, there is no difference in appearance between any Challengers. SXT, RT, Scat Pack, SRT or Hellcat all look the same to them.
Save your money.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
To pull this off, it's going to take some $$$. I'd love to see the end results if you follow through with your plan though. :rocker:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Might be easier with an R/T or Scatpack. For the R/T i think you just need to remove the spoiler and splitter. Harder on my scatpack, but I kind of debadged mine. I removed my 6.4L badge on the sides when I did my clear bra, I haven't reinstalled it yet. From the back it looks like a regular R/T minus the scatpack vinyl. From the side without the badge it looks like an SXT. You would have to speed and get in front of me to see my red R/T badge and bigger splitter guard to know it's a scatpack.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,531 Posts
What would be an ultimate sleeper (and death trap) is a Dart with kitty motor. 9 times out of 10 people can't tell the difference between a Challenger and Charger, let alone the difference between a HC and an SXT.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
How will you hide the whine? if you were trying to fool other racers, it won't happen. A Guy

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
The visual mods may be possible with some reduction in air flow. But since you would be using the power in short bursts with cool down time in between it could be possible. But how would you mask the WHIIINNNNEEEN? (Superchargers are not quiet)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
How will you hide the whine? if you were trying to fool other racers, it won't happen. A Guy
Tell them your power steering pump is bad. :D

The Huge brakes are a give away too, so you could change the brakes to something smaller (SXT brakes) and then fit you "Sleeper" with some 275 M/T drag radials (Mickey Thompson 3754R) that they use in the X275 drag class.

They'll dead hook a car with 1000 horses to the wheels, so they should work pretty well on your stock Hellcat/SXT/Sleeper.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Remember to turn down the exhaust before the rear fascia, replace the rear fascia with one that has no exhaust outlets, and have a single rusty 1.5 inch pipe clearly visible below the fascia.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Why do you want to do this? Just to street race? I wouldn't do it.

If I had a Hellcat, I would be proud to show it off- not hide its identity. If it were me, I rather spend my money making my Hellcat faster than trying to convert it into a sleeper "SXT."

·
Super Moderator
15,351 Posts
Tell them your power steering pump is bad. :D
Or tell them you have Ford power steering...

I swear how does a manufacturer design / build something (on their RWD vehicles) that groans and whines like a worn-out 20 year old system?
Ford figured out how...

You have an Econoline van, Crown Vic, Explorer - and close your eyes...you can hear one a block away coming up. Brand new their p/s setup groans and whines.
-makes you want to put it out of its misery...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts