Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rubber trim in the front of the car, just above the headlight, front part of the hood. I suppose to creates the seal between the hood and the car.

It's tearing and I don't imagine why it would, other than just heat caused it.

Have this happened to anyone here?

A few questions:

Is this a DIY project? I don't want to have to remove the front bumper or something that complex.

Do you think rubber trims are expensive? I get ask, but asking here now so perhaps I won't faint that they want $120 for it.

Should I just rip it off? So without a seal, you think it will cause the car to whistle at higher speeds? Or let in air to create a turbulence in the engine bay? And lift the hood while I'm driving?

If there's is already a thread on this, just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep mine did that. at less than 30k miles. A very shotty peice of rubber. It was 35 bucks or so for a replacement. It goes on very easy with plastic rivets from the auto parts or hardware store. Mine started flapping once i got over 10 MPG so it had to go...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Follow up question.

So the plastic rivets are one-time use?

I think I'm ready for DIY.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I can do it anyone can. I do that really remember if it was possible to pull then replace them. Honestly when you order the new seal I'd order the rivets. The ones from the parts store were a pain to size right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
This has been an issue with Challengers since the very beginning. My 09 had this happen and now my 13 is about to need its 2nd replacement at just 45k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Seal to hood P/N is 68051392AB
Rivet P/N is 6500898. They are on Amazon for $9 for 25 of them. (FYI they are 5mm, 15/32 head, 15/64-25/64 grip (.234-.391)
Be careful when you drill out the center peg on the rivets to get the old one's out that the bit is no larger than the peg. Otherwise you will be enlarging the holes in the bumper cover. It's an easy job. Harbor Freight has a plastic rivet setter cheap. Make sure you get a plastic rivet setter not a metal rivet setter. Armor All the new one frequently and it will last longer. As you can guess, I was another victim of the cheesy hood seal.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
A permanent fix is to use thicker garage door weatherstripping. See the following DIY link:

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,970 Posts
This is the rubber trim in the front of the car, just above the headlight, front part of the hood. I suppose to creates the seal between the hood and the car.

It's tearing and I don't imagine why it would, other than just heat caused it.

Have this happened to anyone here?

A few questions:

Is this a DIY project? I don't want to have to remove the front bumper or something that complex.

Do you think rubber trims are expensive? I get ask, but asking here now so perhaps I won't faint that they want $120 for it.

Should I just rip it off? So without a seal, you think it will cause the car to whistle at higher speeds? Or let in air to create a turbulence in the engine bay? And lift the hood while I'm driving?

If there's is already a thread on this, just let me know.
Yup, as the others said, it does that, and no, the rivets are not reusable...

Reactions: O.J.Sakuma

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
233 Posts
Here is what I did:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make sure you fix it early on, I let mine go until it was about a foot long section. The thing ended up causing some dirty flat black marks on my gloss black hood. Ended up taking them out with a random orbital buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts