Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to grab a '10 R/T but the only ones I find I want the dealership wont budge on price, so I decided to go after an '11 with the options I want and I think I will have/want to order.

Whats the "normal" process. Is price negotiated before the order is placed or upon delivery? I assume incentives and such still apply? I want a refundable deposit, if they make me put one down, is this normal?

Any help is appreciated as I am in new waters here.

Thanks -- Joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
I settled on a price prior to the car being ordered, but my experience was somewhat convoluted for a number of reasons. There wasn't really any negotiation because they made the best offer I'd had from any of the dealers I'd worked with, and I figured at that point that it was about as good a deal as I was going to get.

Any current Dodge incentives should apply.

I also put down a deposit of $500, but that was actually for an existing car with the same options - for several reasons, that deal wound up falling through and I took my deposit back - after the failed deal, the dealer placed an order for me and told me that I wouldn't be obligated to buy it. Apparently they feel confident that they could sell it even if I did not buy it from them.

So I guess it works out best for me as a purchaser.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am safe to assume I could go into a dealership with a configuration in hand and have them price it out for me? I figure if I do it this way I can try to shop around at a few local dealerships for the best price before I order.
Thanks -- Joe

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was trying to grab a '10 R/T but the only ones I find I want the dealership wont budge on price... [...]
You should be able to get pretty good discount on 2010 RTs, I just got mine and the deal was very good.

It depends on the dealer, mostly. I found a dealer that had 13 on the lot and in a week they sold 6, the price was that good.

Just shop around if you are looking for 2010.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I am safe to assume I could go into a dealership with a configuration in hand and have them price it out for me? I figure if I do it this way I can try to shop around at a few local dealerships for the best price before I order.
Thanks -- Joe

Don't waste your time shopping around. Go to the delaer with a price in mind. If you're going to order, that price should be no higher than invoice. What I do when I order a car is tell them I want it $500 under invoice + any incentives at time of delivery. When you order a car it isn't ever going to make it to dealer stock so the dealer will pocket the 3% holdback as profit. While I have no issue with a dealer making a profit I feel they should share that holdback with me because the car will cost them absolutely nothing. The car comes in, I pick it up, and they get paid.

The holdback is for the dealer to pay interst on the car for the first 3 months and any advertising/stocking costs etc. The dealer is still making money on the car even if he splits the holdback with me because often there are manufacturer incentives.

My advice would be to configure the car on carsdirect.com and see the invoice price. Then subtract $500 from that price and walk into the dealer. Tell him/her you want to order, these are the options, and this is the price. If he says no then you go to the next dealer.

Two weeks ago I was ready to buy a car that had just arrived on the lot two days prior, I told them I would take it right then and there for $500 under invoice. They started at $5K over sticker and went to $2K over. I told them when they're ready to sell, call me.

Don't forget, depending on the color you want, there are retrictions in place because of the Japan earthquake. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Poncherello. As for 2010s, they seem scare within a decent drive from me(Rochester NY), but I am still keeping my eyes out and will until I order a 2011(which will hopefully be in a month or two as I want to get it before the snow falls here).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info Poncherello. As for 2010s, they seem scare within a decent drive from me(Rochester NY), but I am still keeping my eyes out and will until I order a 2011(which will hopefully be in a month or two as I want to get it before the snow falls here).
2011 ordering will be finished (for the available colors) within about 6 weeks. 2012 ordering will start sometime in July, I suspect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the 2012s being slated to be released sooner than the 2011s were? I didnt realize that orderign would end so soon. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are the 2012s being slated to be released sooner than the 2011s were? I didnt realize that orderign would end so soon. Thanks
I'm not 100% sure when 2012's are going to make the run but I remember reading something from Dodge that ordering for the 2012 Challenger would commence on June 25. So that tells me that 2011 ordering will end relatively soon. I'm only guessing, but I figure you should see 2012 models begin arriving by late July or eary August...... dependant of course on the color restrictions being fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts