Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe you said that your wheels have an 80 mm center bore. Are you really sure that there is no vehicle(s) out there with an 80 mm hub? Really sure?

Bottom line; a wheel isn't hub centric or not. It becomes hub centric when used in the correct application(s) or with an indexing ring.
Weld racing wheels are Lug centric

As per their web page :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok Back to our regularly scheduled programing...

The search continues..
Girlfriend saw some SRT chrome rims and loved them.
Found these https://www.oewheelsllc.com/DG05-20090-chrome-wheel-set-fits-Challenger-Charger-SRT-style
Found a couple of other places that list them but outta stock.
Plenty of good and bad reviews.
Has anybody had any dealings with them?
They say their aluminum alloy plated chrome but also around 35 lbs so I'm thinking their really steel rims.

Some cast aluminum wheels can weigh in pretty heavy. Even the forged aluminum oem wheels are ~28lbs.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Weld racing wheels are Lug centric
The only reason I can see for claiming that they can't be balanced with cones is if the center bore isn't machined carefully enough.
I have some older Weld Racing wheels and those were always balanced in normal fashion, with cones. But things may have changed.

There is one wheel that I know of that usually can't be balanced with cones, the so-called Rostyle wheel on later MGBs.
That's because the stamping (it's a steel wheel, looking much like GM Rallye wheels) was so poorly done that the "outer hole" can be off by 1/32, maybe more.

Easy enough to fix by chucking it up in a lathe and machining it until centered, but then the center cap wouldn't fit.

Sorry, skynyed, for straying again..

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just installed 5 spoke wheels on my 2017 T/A after much debate and very satisfied with results.

Vision 142 Legend 5

142-8890GB1018X8.505x115Gloss Black Machined Lip8310 offset

Those look pretty damn amazing!!!! Congrats!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Marty ;) Looks good, albeit small :crazy:

A Guy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I ended up getting chrome SRT replicas. 20x9 20mm offset and 72.6 bore.
Got some chrome valve stem covers and caps to complete the look.
Had a local tire store remove my stock tires and tpms sensors and put on the new rims. (only 2k on them)

Funny thing was one of the first things he asked was if I had the hub centric rings. Told him they were the correct bore.

Even funnier is they don't actually sit on the hub and the stock ones didn't either

So I guess they are lug centric.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
As I stated earlier in this thread, I agree that stock wheels are hub- and lug-centric. Primarily hub-centric, but the lugs also do play a small part in centering. This has nothing to do with what supports the weight of the car - this is, and always has been, about what *centers* the wheels. Nothing to do with what supports the wight of the car. As far as I know, hub-centric or lug-centric terms aren't about what supports the weight - only about centering.

By the way, Dodge never did get back to me - at least not yet...
HA! I just had this email pop up in my inbox this morning - only took Dodge a month to respond!

Here is the response, word-for-word:

Code:
James,

Thank you for contacting FCA US LLC.

VIN: 2C3CDZGG6JH306162

According to available information, the OEM wheels are hub-centric.

Sincerely,
Joe

ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Zt8zdC:ref
So there we have it - official word from the manufacturer! Hub-centric it is. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
HA! I just had this email pop up in my inbox this morning - only took Dodge a month to respond!

Here is the response, word-for-word:

Code:
James,

Thank you for contacting FCA US LLC.

VIN: 2C3CDZGG6JH306162

According to available information, the OEM wheels are hub-centric.

Sincerely,
Joe

ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Zt8zdC:ref
So there we have it - official word from the manufacturer! Hub-centric it is. :)

I thought we already figured that out(ps , this has been argued over and over on lx) ...... the stance I had and still do have is that the platform is lug centric , the hub centric wheels “assist” in alignment for the lug centric platform. No weight will ever bear on the hubs , hub centric simply helps in alignment until torqued. At which point, the weight of the vehicle is then centered on the conical lug nuts/seats onto the studs and clamping force is applied to where the weight of the vehicle is now resting upon said clamping force.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts