Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the dealership to order mopar coolant and they gave me 2 bottles of 3.78 liters ones.

I dont think thats enough for our 3.6L engines? or is it?
Its my first time doing this coolant change, bought a new coolant reservoir too as it looks like grandad fungus toe nails.

Whats the coolant capacity?

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
I know that the coolant capacity on a 3.6 2018 Jeep is 14 quarts. Look in the back of your owner's manual to see if this is also correct for your Challenger.

7.56 liters converts to 7.99 quarts. You should always use at least a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. If you have a 14 quart system, 8 quarts of antifreeze and 6 quarts of distilled water would be correct (i.e., a 57% mix) to give your engine proper heating and cooling protection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hope this helps-

Engine Coolant (3.6L Engine)
We recommend you use MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology).
11.1 Quarts
10.5 Liters
68163848AB
68163848GB

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the coolant capacity on a 3.6 2018 Jeep is 14 quarts. Look in the back of your owner's manual to see if this is also correct for your Challenger.

7.56 liters converts to 7.99 quarts. You should always use at least a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. If you have a 14 quart system, 8 quarts of antifreeze and 6 quarts of distilled water would be correct (i.e., a 57% mix) to give your engine proper heating and cooling protection.
I got the pre-mixed ones so no need to add water, states on the bottle itself. Im missing one more bottle then! The counter should have checked the number of bottles needed for my car, so careless.

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
I got the pre-mixed ones so no need to add water, states on the bottle itself. Im missing one more bottle then! The counter should have checked the number of bottles needed for my car, so careless.

Bear in mind that there will be about .5 to 1 gallon of coolant left in the engine block after a standard flush. So, if your engine's capacity is 11.1 quarts, you will not be able to add this exact amount back in. It looks like you will need 2 more quarts of the 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hope this helps-

Engine Coolant (3.6L Engine)
We recommend you use MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology).
11.1 Quarts
10.5 Liters
68163848AB
68163848GB
The number is 68163849GB on 2 of my bottles.
MOPAR Antifreeze / coolant
50/50 prediluted
10 year / 240,000km (Organic Additive technology)
3.78 liters.

Will that do?
Just need one more bottle of this which makes 11.34 liters.

Regarding the coolant change, this is how i plan to do it.

1. Remove cap from reservoir
2. Turn drain plug 90 degrees anti-clockwise
3. Drain all the coolant out.
4. Fill in same capacity tap water
5. Drain coolant system
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 till water comes out clear
7. Take out bleed plug
8. Fill in new coolant
9. Put back coolant bleed plug after all the air comes out and some drains out.
10. Fill coolant up to cold level marked on resevoir
11. Turn car on and put heating to max
12. Give a little bit of gas around 2k rpm for like 5 mins so that the coolant cycles around the system properly
13. Drive around and check coolant level

Are these steps correct? If i've missed anything out, please jot in!
Oh forgot to mention that ill need to change the reservoir to the new one also which I have with me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bear in mind that there will be about .5 to 1 gallon of coolant left in the engine block after a standard flush. So, if your engine's capacity is 11.1 quarts, you will not be able to add this exact amount back in. It looks like you will need 2 more quarts of the 50/50 mix.
I wont be doing a standard flush, will be doing full flush where I flush it several times and then add the new coolant.

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
I wont be doing a standard flush, will be doing full flush where I flush it several times and then add the new coolant.

To get all of the coolant out of the block (not really necessary), you have to remove the engine's drain plugs. Are you doing this? If not, no matter how many times you flush the system, there will still be .5 to 1 gallon of water in the block.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To get all of the coolant out of the block, you have to remove the engine's drain plugs. Are you doing this?
Well I will be removing the bleed plug and the drain plug thats all, which engine drain plugs are you talking about?

If im only doing the bleed plug and the drain plug, you recommend me to get one more bottle of 3,75 liters of antifreeze / coolant 50 50 mix?
Which is another 4 quarts, and you mentioned I will need another 2 quarts, I dont see why i need more if there will be .5 or 1 gallon of coolant left in the block?

Sorry im a newbie to this so im kinda confused.

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
Here is the simple math. You have an 11.1 quart cooling system and need to achieve a 50/50 mix for protection. Since approximately 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) will be left in the block, you will need 9 quarts of coolant mix (11 quarts minus 2 quarts). The mix you are buying comes in 3.78 liter jugs. This converts to 4 quarts. Since the MOPAR jugs, apparently, only come in this size, two jugs (8 quarts) will not be enough. You will need 3 jugs and will have approximately 3 quarts left over (12 quarts minus 9 quarts).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To get all of the coolant out of the block (not really necessary), you have to remove the engine's drain plugs. Are you doing this? If not, no matter how many times you flush the system, there will still be .5 to 1 gallon of water in the block.

Great thanks for that info, but are the below steps correct?
Do I have to turn the car on after every water fill I do and then drive around and drain it out again ?

1. Remove cap from reservoir
2. Turn drain plug 90 degrees anti-clockwise
3. Drain all the coolant out.
4. Fill in same capacity tap water
5. Drain coolant system
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 till water comes out clear
7. Take out bleed plug
8. Fill in new coolant
9. Put back coolant bleed plug after all the air comes out and some drains out.
10. Fill coolant up to cold level marked on resevoir
11. Turn car on and put heating to max
12. Give a little bit of gas around 2k rpm for like 5 mins so that the coolant cycles around the system properly
13. Drive around and check coolant level

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
Great thanks for that info, but are the below steps correct?Do I have to turn the car on after every water fill I do and then drive around and drain it out again? QUOTE]

The steps are basically correct for adding pure antifreeze. The only change I would suggest would be to use distilled water instead of tap water (no impurities). In your case, instead of pure antifreeze, you will be using a 50/50 mix.

You can let the car idle while performing the steps. After you are done, it would be a good idea to check the level in the coolant tank, again, after a few days of driving. Then, if necessary, add a little more coolant mix to bring it up to the proper level.

Here is a DIY video that may help you. The only difference is that the guy uses pure antifreeze and distilled water, not a 50/50 mix. You will not have to add water because it is already part of the mix.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...dbbd12b851a14c23e46f8fd30ab41d81&action=click

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great thanks for that info, but are the below steps correct?Do I have to turn the car on after every water fill I do and then drive around and drain it out again? QUOTE]

The steps are basically correct for adding pure antifreeze. The only change I would suggest would be to use distilled water instead of tap water (no impurities). In your case, instead of pure antifreeze, you will be using a 50/50 mix.

You can let the car idle while performing the steps. After you are done, it would be a good idea to check the level in the coolant tank, again, after a few days of driving. Then, if necessary, add a little more coolant mix to bring it up to the proper level.

Here is a DIY video that may help you. The only difference is that the guy uses pure antifreeze and distilled water, not a 50/50 mix. You will not have to add water because it is already part of the mix.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...dbbd12b851a14c23e46f8fd30ab41d81&action=click
Thank you so much bro, much appreciated, I will start the coolant change this afternoon, Saudi Arabia time lol. Thanks to everyone else for their input too, will let you all know how it goes! I know its a 240,000km lifetime of the colant but i badly need to change the reservoir bottle!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im currently doing the coolant change and after putting in some water in the reservoir to clean out the old coolant, theres still some water coming out of the drain plug, like slow drip only, am i supposed to push and turn the drain plug so it seals tight or apply some glue to it when tightening it? To drain out the water i turned it 90 degrees anti-clockwise and turned it back to do another fill and its still leaking slightly from the drain plug. What should i do to keep it sealed tight when putting in the new coolant?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bad news.....
I put in the first bottle of coolant, the drain plug was closed and all that coolant leaked.... now what to do?Was i supposed to put on some UHU or locktite superglue to it before putting in coolant?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Took out the drain pet**** this morning and saw one of the O-rings on it was cut in half :brickwall:
But then i looked at the part online and the pet**** only has one O-ring on it and that was on the top of my pet**** so I moved that down to the bottom position, about to put it back in, lets see if this works.

Thats what was causing the leak I guess.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All sorted now, it was the split O-ring that caused the leak, weird it had 2 O-rings on it when it was supposed to have only one on the bottom, there was another one on the top part too, so I moved that one to the down position where the split O-ring was before and now its all sorted and running good.

Started the car, let it warm up to engine temp and saw the coolant went down abit which is normal and filled it up to the cold mark on the reservoir, shes all good!

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
Bad news.....
I put in the first bottle of coolant, the drain plug was closed and all that coolant leaked.... now what to do?Was i supposed to put on some UHU or locktite superglue to it before putting in coolant?
No! The rubber O ring seals the drain plug. NEVER use Locktite or glue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts