Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most recent UOA contained an anomaly which had me scratching my head - elevated silicon level. That's usually an indication of a problem with the air filter (either inefficient or clogged or otherwise not doing its job very well), but I knew there was nothing wrong with mine (same filter as in last UOA and no problems with it then).

So WTF???

Then it hit me - my most recent cleanup attempt involved replacing some rubber hose on my catch can install, so I could have introduced a vacuum leak there which was sucking in unfiltered air. Sure enough, once I checked it, there was a split in the new hose which would have been letting dirty air in if it indeed was a leak.

I have fixed the hose, but I won't know for sure that was the source of the higher silicone until I get this current OCI analyzed. Assuming the silicone is back down to expected levels, I will be confident in assuming that was my culprit.

So just a reminder folks, get a UOA done every now and again so you can watch out for little gotchas like this!

Nuke, OUT!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
U need to stop posting this crap, I LEARN TO MUCH !!!!

Your Pal

Angelo

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts
Hey @Nuke

Did you know that you can click the box “export without personal data” and it removes everything?

Attachments

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
The solution is to use braided lines. (y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
UOA is a good idea, at least once in a while. For kicks I did one for nearly every oil change on my Charger posted here, which is a 3.6 V6. and tested different oils and change intervals. I could see differences, and I was also able to gauge oil wear and determine that longer intervals are not so bad-just watch accumulation of silicon, because a little always gets through. You can see on one of my recent changes it picked up a dirty filter. I use a Mopar CAI with a dry filter and it had gotten very dirty and needed a deep cleaning, more than normal. Once I did that Silicon went right back down. My opinion based on UOA is that oil generally lasts a long time-10-15k and is still pretty good. In my case it is the accumulation of Si. Actually, on a per 1000 mile basis, the Mopar CAI does a pretty good job, at about 0.6 to 1.2 ppm/1000 mi. in comparison to 1.67 as universal average, except for the two bumps-both in summer driving through dusty central valley highways. BTW-the long gaps are missing UOA. I have the samples, just haven't analyzed them all yet. But I mainly go about 15k change intervals. Also, the Y axis is a log scale, so differences are larger than they appear.

EDIT: I've started this on my Challenger, but the dealer forgot to sample the factory fill, and I am only just coming up on the second change-These will be done at recommended intervals by the dealer.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
216 Posts
Alright, I’ll ask. What the eff is a UOA and how do I do one?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I’ll ask. What the eff is a UOA and how do I do one?
Used Oil Analysis

In a nutshell, you save a sample of used oil when draining it from the engine for an oil change, and you send that off to be analyzed to see what it contains and what condition it’s in.

A single UOA won’t necessarily be of great use (unless something really bad has recently gone wrong with the engine), but a string of them will be.

There are several options for having a UOA done, here is the place I have been using: What is Oil Analysis? | Blackstone Laboratories

I believe NAPA stores offer a method to obtain a UOA, but I don’t have the link handy for that one.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
216 Posts
Used Oil Analysis

In a nutshell, you save a sample of used oil when draining it from the engine for an oil change, and you send that off to be analyzed to see what it contains and what condition it’s in.

A single UOA won’t necessarily be of great use (unless something really bad has recently gone wrong with the engine), but a string of them will be.

There are several options for having a UOA done, here is the place I have been using: What is Oil Analysis? | Blackstone Laboratories

I believe NAPA stores offer a method to obtain a UOA, but I don’t have the link handy for that one.
Cool thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every engine is different, and every family of engines is different from other families of engines. That’s why a single UOA by itself may not reveal much. What is best is to have several UOAs for the engine done so that trends are established. That way, if one of the elements’ counts in a single report breaks its established trend, you know that area of the engine needs attention.

That’s what occurred with mine and why I created this thread. Silicone is normally introduced into the oil by dirt getting into the air charge and into the combustion chambers. Dirt isn’t supposed to get past the air filter, so an elevated level of silicone could mean a clogged or incorrectly installed air filter (or inefficient filter media being used in the filter), or (as i believe it to be in my case) it could mean there is a vacuum leak upstream of the filter element allowing unfiltered air into the air charge.

I plan on having another UOA done on my next oil change, and if the trend goes back to normal on the silicone, I will be satisfied I have resolved my silicone ingress problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts