Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT Pitch Black Clear-coat
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently, well, last night I went to a small car meet. I was the only person at the meet who had any sort of "Muscle Car" and the others had some Infiniti's, Honda Civics, and just regular personal cars.

After an hour or so, a guy with a 2012 Challenger SXT pulled up and he had RT badges on it, not Hemi badges. He immediately came over to me and started talking to me and wanted to see the car and the stuff I had done to it, etc..

Well, after we went over to his, he wouldn't pop his hood until finally, I told him I knew he had up-badged his car. He popped it and it was the 3.6 with the 5-speed transmission. I wasn't mad, I just laughed and asked what the RT badges were for, and he said just for looks. I explained to him that it's like someone wearing a corset to appear thinner when in reality, it comes off and you are still the same size. He agreed and I told him that's exactly what his car was. Mind you, he did have a muffler delete, a new exhaust, and an aftermarket CAI installed, but you could tell just by hearing it that it wasn't what the eye presented or what the ears had heard.

I suggested getting some aftermarket SXT badges with the red and chrome or red and black to put on it and he said he'd look into it and would de-badge it.

My opinion?

It's your car, you know the specifics or should. You want to add badges that aren't specific to the car, fine by me, but don't play it off like it's something it isn't. If you know what it is, daily drive it, care for it, no one has any right to trash talk until you start playing around with the idea during conversation and make excuses. It made me a bit unhappy and shameful because I own a '19 Challenger RT and this guy attempted to say his car was an RT. He even asked to race mine.

As for de-badging, I think you can do what you want to the car. Keep people guessing and on they're toes. Is it an SXT? an RT? SRT? What's under the hood, at the end of the day, it's a Challenger, and she/he is a beauty of a car regardless. It's when you claim it's something it's not that needs to be brought up.

·
Registered
2014 RT Anniversary 5.7 M6
11 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't ever up-badge because its nice to show off a car faster than higher trim levels. At the end of the day this whole obnoxious up-badging/down-badging issue is just a result of car culture being 95% consumerism in a world where money is far more important than anything else. People hate up-badgers because it devalues their purchase and makes them feel insecure. People love up-badging because they're already insecure and it raises the value (from their perspective) of their purchase without spending thousands more.

Take the cover off the book and car culture is just people bragging about how much money they spent. At the end of the day its just class warfare and IDGAF. If I met someone at a car-meet who upbadged an SXT to a Hellcat I would treat him like everyone else there: a person who loves cars. Why would I confront someone for claiming to donate more money to corporate overlords than they actually have? People do far worse; FFS this enthusiasm of ours literally kills the planet.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
Couple weeks ago I saw one of the most beautiful looking Challengers I've seen around here locally. It had one of those color shifting paint jobs done to it for one.

I caught up to it with my daily driver Magnum RT and is custom license plate itself I think was "V6PWRD".

It had been debadged but I thought it was pretty awesome that he was owning what he had and rocking it that way.

No matter the engine, these are a beautiful design and I think anybody that finds a way to own a Challenger should be proud that they are driving a piece of art!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack. 6 speed manual.
226 Posts
I have debadged in the past. Never up-badged, that's silly. Thinking of pulling the Dodge off the trunk....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,796 Posts
Debadged, but I am what I am

Keeps the Mustangs from revving at me :)

A Guy

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Believe it or not, this car rolled off the truck like this. A brand new SXT with R/T Classic stripes. Window sticker showed the SXT "Challenger" stripe, guess they ran out and installed these instead. 100% factory original. So a Brampton upbadge!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Debadged, but I am what I am

Keeps the Mustangs from revving at me :)

A Guy
Love the clean look of your car and honestly never bothered to notice it was an SXT.

That blacktop package is great and was looking at some like that originally before I found mine, 4 states away and out of the rust belt.

The yellow letters of your custom plate have a great contrast. YOU could have the yellow splitter guards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it or not, this car rolled off the truck like this. A brand new SXT with R/T Classic stripes. Window sticker showed the SXT "Challenger" stripe, guess they ran out and installed these instead. 100% factory original. So a Brampton upbadge!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That’s still a beautiful car. I’d take the RT off and keep the decal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the clean look of your car and honestly never bothered to notice it was an SXT.

That blacktop package is great and was looking at some like that originally before I found mine, 4 states away and out of the rust belt.

The yellow letters of your custom plate have a great contrast. YOU could have the yellow splitter guards.
I complete agree, it really is a beautiful car. I’m debating going with tint covers or getting the tint sticker decals for it.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
That’s still a beautiful car. I’d take the RT off and keep the decal.
The car looks great but I would do the same. Even though it was done by Brampton, I would feel up-badged.

It would be awesome if reflective concepts or someone could make a smaller font, stacked,

S
X
T

that could replace the RT with the same height and angle to flow with the stripe.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
It's just a matter of R/T envy. Anyone who does that is not fooling car guys.

Here's a hard lesson that I learned. My first car- a Plymouth Belvedere- had a 225 slant-six engine. Being 17, I wanted something with a lot more power, but my father wisely insisted that I learn to drive on a practical car. Because I couldn't change the engine, I slapped every appearance item that I could think of on it, including a glass-pack muffler. My upbadging was two 383 Four-Barrel emblems on twin hood scoops. Was my car cool!

One day, I was stopped at a traffic light and a 1969 Charger R/T pulled up along side me. He looked at the 383 emblems and the racing stickers and just laughed. He knew! After his 440-powered car blew me away at the light, I vowed to never upbadge again.

PlymouthBelevedere 001.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Up Badging is nothing new. OLDSMOBILE Up Badged the 442’s in 1972. Olds built Cutlass 442’s with 455’s that was the 442 performance package. Now, they offered a Cutlass 442 with a 350 this was the 442 Appearance package. This only came with 442 emblems, some pinstripes and a notched rear bumper for the exhaust tips. It looked like a real 442 performance car but not having the performance. Haha....
Well my SRT8 is debadged except for the rear spoiler. I like it. It doesn’t look 👀 like an old 2009. At first I did miss my 6.1 hood emblems but after many years now. I really don’t miss them at all. This is where my 6.1 emblems landed. Yeah, that’s right. Wall Art..... When it comes to emblems. I say each his own. Don’t go away pissy when your called out on it!!!
2BBD8DFC-C7EC-4589-A812-4EB45618AA7D.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,796 Posts
Lol, I have never polished my car. Had it paint corrected and coated when I got it, have just maintained it since. I did sort of hand polish it once with CarPro Essence Plus and a finish pad. It's all in the upkeep for me ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
970 Posts
I like the de-badged look as well. I removed the dodge letters from the tail lights and took the 392 emblems off the sides. I did put the 392 emblems back on after a while, but honestly I’m not a fan of them. I did find the ones in the photo that I really like. I’ve been trying to paint them blue because I eventually want to paint the calipers blue. I really like the all black with blue accents. However, I can get any paint to work, it always ends up bubbling. If it doesn’t pan out I’ve been considering de-badging again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
North Carolina does not have a single plate choice that goes with my Challenger. I will have to go with the standard plate for my permanent plate. Any thoughts on what I can do to the three small holes left after the "DODGE" letters are removed?

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,447 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,796 Posts
The DODGE letters are stuck on, no holes beyond the dimples from when the panel was made, hardly noticeable, and not really covered by the letters

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,796 Posts
I like the de-badged look as well. I removed the dodge letters from the tail lights and took the 392 emblems off the sides. I did put the 392 emblems back on after a while, but honestly I’m not a fan of them. I did find the ones in the photo that I really like. I’ve been trying to paint them blue because I eventually want to paint the calipers blue. I really like the all black with blue accents. However, I can get any paint to work, it always ends up bubbling. If it doesn’t pan out I’ve been considering de-badging again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm, what are they made of? Tried Adhesion Promoter, followed by sandable primer, then the color coat/clear?

A Guy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts