Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer about a two months ago and they said there was an update for the car relating to the pcm. They do not get the specifics on the updates from Dodge...and no my car was not part of the 2011 auto tranny drive-ability reprogram since the cars serial was not part of that program.

Result The Hard downshift in my 5sp auto is completely gone now.....smooth as silk. Wanted to wait before posting to make sure before posting. Avg gas mileage is up too 1.5 to 2mpg. :bouncy:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine must have gotten the same update yesterday. I feel the transmission shifts even better now, but I had no complaints before! The paperwork doesn't list the update as one of the services performed. It was in for a remote start installation.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
The downshift is a little harsh on my 2013 R/T auto.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anything concrete appears. If there is something I can do to smooth it out I'll take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The flash information PCM Reflash 18-19-0655 this number is the Dodge "working" number....use this at the dealer and they will know the flash update per Steve White Tech Team.

"Driveability"

This is not the tranny reflash for the very early 2011 5 sp autos by serial number...it is a new flash mine was done 10/23/13.

The transmission does not "slam" hard into downshift anymore.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
10% better MPG is a lot for a Flash. My '12 SRT downshifts hard in sport mode but I love it. Kind of like an engine brake.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have an 09 r/t and have noticed a hard downshift for years. Whenever I bring it to the dealer they can never reproduce it. It seems to happen when im cruising at 75-80 mph and then have to come to a hard stop. maybe I should just drive slower lol!! One time the dealer flashed the tcm and it seemed to be better but it got progressively worse again and I've just learned to live with it. When I bring my car in for the timing chain recall i'll mention it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
KJ392.......I drive a SE I get typically 31 mpg on the highway.....so that is .0645% increase....sure the V8's would do less on the mpg.

But this is not about the mpg it about the very harsh shift pattern of 3rd gear.........this fixed it, and there is a reason that Dodge fixed it behind the scenes...I will guess that (from experience) that the Getrag transmission which has never has a history of hard downshifts from 4th to 3rd at highway and 3rd to 2nd in traffic would eventually create a future tranny or maybe a rear end issue.

That is a very hard downshift in these cars....so they have reprogrammed the shifting points for the auto tranny solenoids to cure the problem.

IHMO the hard shifts will eventually strip the input or output shafts over time or possibly tear up the bearings or ring gears.

Either way if you don't like the hard shift, you now have the Dodge flash/work order number to fix it not posted here that came out in October 2013.

Once they do it you will feel the difference in your tranny immediately, shifting is smooth, responsiveness is increased and the shift points are enhanced. :thumbsup: Also the drive by wire lag is reduced too.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Good info... I run a different ECU with the rev limiter set to 6650 for racing I also have raised shift points to 6400 so maybe this flash isn't for me at this current time. Mine shifts soft (upshift and downshift) in normal mode but firmer in sport mode. I only use sport mode at the track so haven't really had an issue on the street in normal mode. Will make note of the TSB # as well as the others for when I return her to stock. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
The downshift is a little harsh on my 2013 R/T auto.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anything concrete appears. If there is something I can do to smooth it out I'll take it back to the dealer.
You are free to take the vehicle back to the dealer. If you need any assistance, please contact me.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Plus
85 Posts
Is there a way to check the current version of the pcm vs the updated? My car was in the the tc recall and I asked them to check it, they're saying I have the most updated version. My car was last there in Oct for an oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yaanufs

Just an FYI we are all getting getting tired of the we need concrete evidence "nay sayers" posters coming on here...the number given is the work order that related to the drive-a-bility update for the auto transmissions I believe is for the late spring production 2011 auto transmissions up to 10/13 cars (?) when the updated arrived.

This is not for the early 2011 transmission flash update in 2011 performed by vin number.

If you have a car that can take the "Driveability" flash then take your car over to the dealer.........here is concrete evidence

The work order number is correct from my dealer, I have had the flash installed, and the hard downshift is gone.

I am quite familiar with Getrag trannys since 1968 to date..............I can personally assure you that that hard downshift will eventually turn into a very expensive exchange or rebuild....the shift point parameters were too harsh in this tranny and they have corrected the problem.......so take your car in as Dodge is on here now...to help you and anyone else.:rocker:

Cannot imagine how that happened...............:angel: Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Just an FYI we are all getting getting tired of the we need concrete evidence "nay sayers" posters
Eh?

I just dumped a throw away post in here to make sure I was registered on this thread so I could keep an eye on it and check later to see if I felt it was worth me following up with the dealer. Not a huge fan of automatic transmissions anyway, I thought they are all crap shifting wise. Just bought it as its a daily driver in heavy traffic. Didn't realise that maybe there was a small problem with mine that could be easily remedied.

Where was the nay saying? Sorry if the word concrete was so offensive to you. Shouldn't your post be on the Timing chain thread. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took my 2013 R/T to my dealer this past weekend to get this latest flash and it did reduce the hard downshift. And I asked them, hey while you're at it, could you enable the DRL's (daytime running lights), which they did. All of it was done free of charge, and the tech told me that they also applied a steering sensor update.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Crap: my '13 R/T needs it. I hate going to the dealer and can't believe they don't have the TCM programming right by now. Dodge is turning into Microsoft! :slant:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
supposed to down shift hard if you're going fast enough specially going from 4th to 3rd or 2nd just like the 6speed manual with out the clutch... mine down shifts normal depending what gear you are in...

If its banging hard that is a different story?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm always in AutoStick and I typically downshift myself. But when I let the transmission downshift by itself I'm usually not driving fast, like coming to a slow stop in the city. And at certain unpredictable times the lower gears are engaged brutally, I mean one will get slammed (I'm guessing 2nd) and you can hear and feel it like someone took a big hammer to it. 'Bonk!' Frankly I figured it was just a not-so refined NAG1 quirk until I read this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts