Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new Panasonic Uconnect 8.4N units are complete garbage. After waiting for 2 months for my dealership to receive and install the update, I am still experiencing random Bluetooth failures and as of today a completely unresponsive Uconnect blank screen, that only magically came back when I attempted to place a call using the iPhone directly. These kinds of issues, and especially FCA's apparent inability to resolve them properly, spoil the impression of an otherwise amazing car. Old firmware version was CANADA-MY_R14.9.0-20161108-C01F, the new one is CANADA-MY17.5_CR16.8.0-20170321-C03K.

I really hope they can find some real engineers and developers to fix these problems once and for all, but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's been three weeks since my update completely rendered my uconnect unit and care useless. Car has been sitting at dealership for two weeks now waiting for a new head unit. Was informed today that they are producing new units that should fix all these issues. Not sure if this is correct info. If so, I would insist on a new unit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been three weeks since my update completely rendered my uconnect unit and care useless. Car has been sitting at dealership for two weeks now waiting for a new head unit. Was informed today that they are producing new units that should fix all these issues. Not sure if this is correct info. If so, I would insist on a new unit.
I feel your pain, man - I guess I should feel lucky my car isn't totally bricked. Best of luck getting this fixed though, I don't how FCA thinks this level of QA is acceptable. To not be able how to figure out how to implement bluetooth in this day and age - the technology is 20 years old by now !

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I just bought a 2017 SRT 392 two weeks ago. You're correct. The Uconnect sucks. I've had to delete and pair my iPhone 6 three times, each time deleting the device. Now the Uconnect won't even let me delete the phone. I contacted the dealer and they gave my the number for Uconnect. I called them and was told I needed to update the software and they emailed me the file and instructions on how to do so. Based on previous comments, I'm hesitant to do this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T
5 Posts
Just bought my 2017 RT 3 weeks ago and I have random issues with my uconnect system. At least once every couple days the entire system will just reboot while I am cruising. I also have intermittent issues where CarPlay won't work and it won't even charge my phone on the accessory port. I will check my version next time I get in the car. Also, I think the 2017s have a new manufacturer of the head unit (Panasonic?). Very frustrated with the bugginess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought a 2017 SRT 392 two weeks ago. You're correct. The Uconnect sucks. I've had to delete and pair my iPhone 6 three times, each time deleting the device. Now the Uconnect won't even let me delete the phone. I contacted the dealer and they gave my the number for Uconnect. I called them and was told I needed to update the software and they emailed me the file and instructions on how to do so. Based on previous comments, I'm hesitant to do this. Any suggestions?
This is exactly how mine started. The software update totally fried my unit causing a reboot every minute. The dealer could not get the new update loaded. Two weeks in car still at dealership waiting for new head unit. Was informed by Dodge SRT customer service that they have a "new" unit that are now replacing the existing 2017 units that are having issues.

I would have the dealership do it and if it crashes, they will have to provide you a "new" unit.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
This is exactly how mine started. The software update totally fried my unit causing a reboot every minute. The dealer could not get the new update loaded. Two weeks in car still at dealership waiting for new head unit. Was informed by Dodge SRT customer service that they have a "new" unit that are now replacing the existing 2017 units that are having issues.

I would have the dealership do it and if it crashes, they will have to provide you a "new" unit.
I appreciate the advice. I had a 2015 SRT and a 2016 RAM. No uconnect issues with either. I don't want to take a chance with this one. Dealer it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
9x At The Shop

I bought my '17 Challenger on November 28, 2016. It's first trip to the shop was December 1st and it's most recent was just this past Monday, June 26th. The radio has been replaced, the media center has been replaced, it's had updates, etc. The shop insists the issue lies with Dodge and tells me that after the most recent repair attempt, they've opened yet another STAR ticket.

My case manager with Dodge never has information to help, he won't even get the "information" he claims he is working on and leaves us to dig up the info ourselves. Me and my husband are the ones making calls, numerous trips to shops, etc while the guy we're dealing with literally has done nothing. He informed us yesterday (after inquiring of a co-worker (?! really?!) after my husband asked for the 3rd time in 3 weeks) that Dodge does software updates "maybe" 2-3 times a year. While this is info I don't think was really confirmed because the case manager says he can't talk to the STAR team, I laughed out of sheer frustration after hearing that my brand new 2017 Challenger isn't going to be operating correctly for maybe another year and I'm supposed to just "wait" for it?

I've recorded numerous instances of the issues with the head unit, as has my dealership. On Monday, after their latest repair attempt it got so bad that even shutting off the car and opening the doors didn't turn off the system and this horrid sound was just coming out of the speakers. All recorded. I'm wondering if posting it on YouTube would garner more assistance. It's gotten so bad, I can mainly rely on the usb/head unit issue being in action almost every time I get in my car now. Oh, btw, my car just hit 5000 miles last night. Whoopey.

I've asked 2x this month to speak to a supervisor and am told one will call. Hasn't happened. My husband was told 2 days ago that his request to speak to a supervisor was being "reviewed", oddly yesterday, when he opened an online chat with Dodge, the rep told him they saw no request in to speak with a supervisor and when my husband asked why we were told multiple times there was, the Dodge rep oddly "disconnected" from the chat, not bothering to call or anything as you would expect of an unexpected disconnect (they always get your phone number and or case number in case of such a disconnect issue), but hey, at least I got to save that for more documentation of the ongoing non-assistance we've been getting.

This is our 3rd Dodge product in 5 years ('13 Challenger/ '15 Ram 1500 / '17 Challenger) and this will be the last. In the meantime, my very new car has no ETA on a fix. Thrilling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my '17 Challenger on November 28, 2016. It's first trip to the shop was December 1st and it's most recent was just this past Monday, June 26th. The radio has been replaced, the media center has been replaced, it's had updates, etc. The shop insists the issue lies with Dodge and tells me that after the most recent repair attempt, they've opened yet another STAR ticket.

My case manager with Dodge never has information to help, he won't even get the "information" he claims he is working on and leaves us to dig up the info ourselves. Me and my husband are the ones making calls, numerous trips to shops, etc while the guy we're dealing with literally has done nothing. He informed us yesterday (after inquiring of a co-worker (?! really?!) after my husband asked for the 3rd time in 3 weeks) that Dodge does software updates "maybe" 2-3 times a year. While this is info I don't think was really confirmed because the case manager says he can't talk to the STAR team, I laughed out of sheer frustration after hearing that my brand new 2017 Challenger isn't going to be operating correctly for maybe another year and I'm supposed to just "wait" for it?

I've recorded numerous instances of the issues with the head unit, as has my dealership. On Monday, after their latest repair attempt it got so bad that even shutting off the car and opening the doors didn't turn off the system and this horrid sound was just coming out of the speakers. All recorded. I'm wondering if posting it on YouTube would garner more assistance. It's gotten so bad, I can mainly rely on the usb/head unit issue being in action almost every time I get in my car now. Oh, btw, my car just hit 5000 miles last night. Whoopey.

I've asked 2x this month to speak to a supervisor and am told one will call. Hasn't happened. My husband was told 2 days ago that his request to speak to a supervisor was being "reviewed", oddly yesterday, when he opened an online chat with Dodge, the rep told him they saw no request in to speak with a supervisor and when my husband asked why we were told multiple times there was, the Dodge rep oddly "disconnected" from the chat, not bothering to call or anything as you would expect of an unexpected disconnect (they always get your phone number and or case number in case of such a disconnect issue), but hey, at least I got to save that for more documentation of the ongoing non-assistance we've been getting.

This is our 3rd Dodge product in 5 years ('13 Challenger/ '15 Ram 1500 / '17 Challenger) and this will be the last. In the meantime, my very new car has no ETA on a fix. Thrilling.
Check your rights under the lemon law. Sounds like you may have a case to force them to take the car back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check your rights under the lemon law. Sounds like you may have a case to force them to take the car back.

We have, and we do (Virginia) and oddly, when we stated as much a few weeks ago in trying to get this resolved, we were told we were wrong, that it has to be 30 days and 3 repair attempts, and to contact our states Attorney General. We sent a certified letter at that point so that they understood we'd already checked what our rights are. We got a letter back stating they'd contact us. Our "contact" has been assigning this really bad case manager that I guess, wants us to go ahead and pursue a lemon law claim, because he is literally doing nothing to make the issue any easier to deal with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wicked V, sorry to hear about your problems. I have been dealing with similar issues with my 2017 SRT. However, the SRT customer service rep has been nothing but excellent through the entire process. My car was out of service, due to the head unit, for seventeen days while I waited for the new unit to arrive. I was called at least twice a week with updates from them and the dealership. I was informed that a new and improved head unit are now being manufactured to replace the ones in the existing 17's. My customer service rep even called the dealership when she determined that they ordered the old head unit and informed them to reorder the new unit. All seems to have been fixed with this new head unit.

Not sure when they replaced your original unit but it may be worth a shot to have them try the new one.

It is terrible when you buy a car and this happens. My 2017 just turned 500 miles and I already have had the seat fan replaced, a new differential, and a new head unit. Believe me if these things continue, I will not be holding on to this car. Fortunately, I have an excellent dealership and an equally excellent mechanic that has been working on my Challenger the whole time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fix update- no fix

Wicked V, sorry to hear about your problems. I have been dealing with similar issues with my 2017 SRT. However, the SRT customer service rep has been nothing but excellent through the entire process. My car was out of service, due to the head unit, for seventeen days while I waited for the new unit to arrive. I was called at least twice a week with updates from them and the dealership. I was informed that a new and improved head unit are now being manufactured to replace the ones in the existing 17's. My customer service rep even called the dealership when she determined that they ordered the old head unit and informed them to reorder the new unit. All seems to have been fixed with this new head unit.

Not sure when they replaced your original unit but it may be worth a shot to have them try the new one.

It is terrible when you buy a car and this happens. My 2017 just turned 500 miles and I already have had the seat fan replaced, a new differential, and a new head unit. Believe me if these things continue, I will not be holding on to this car. Fortunately, I have an excellent dealership and an equally excellent mechanic that has been working on my Challenger the whole time.
Thank you, golddogs. My dealership, at least the one I've been taking it to this past month, has been wonderful, even though Dodge has tried to state at least once no ticket was opened (we had a copy proving it was) and has been awesome in documenting the issues as well.

The supervisor that finally called us back a few hours ago now (Erica) just told us that yes, Dodge was aware of the issues and a fix would likely not be available until the end of the year as they only release patches "a few times a year" and there was no guarantee of even that time frame. Erica also stated that since it wasn't a "mechanical defect of the vehicle causing it to not operate or not run" (Erica's exact words there) that they are under no obligation to abide by the lemon law, but that she'd call tomorrow after she "reviewed it". When my husband informed her she was mistaken and to check the laws for VA as well as please note we'd sent a certified letter in at the beginning of June, she persisted in stating she'd call tomorrow.

Fix issue-first call from Erica today: Erica stated in a call to us at 3:26 pm today after informing us there might be a fix towards the end of the year that, "they release them 2-3 times a year, but if anything comes out sooner, we'll absolutely let you know." My husband stated, "But there is a possibility this could take longer, correct?" Erica then stated, "I mean, that always is a possibility, but umm, based on the nature of everything being documented here we're hoping that our technicians and the team on that end will be able to expedite the process. But it could take significantly longer than we're anticipating." Husband states, "Right and realistically the exact situation right now is that there is not a fix for this." Erica states, "At the moment we are waiting on an update, yes."

Approx 5 minutes later (3:32 pm), she called back and stated that, and I quote, "because there was an 'intermittent' connectivity issue with the iPod and UConnect radio, umm, the vehicle at this point doesn't qualify for anything we would review for repurchase or replacement on this end and umm,it has now been declined through the research we've been able to do and where we would escalate it to. I can refer you to that booklet [car manual paperwork] for any further info or request in regards to a buy back or replacement of your vehicle. On this end we would not be able to review that further." These are EXACT quotes of what she said, and my husbands responses, btw.

My husband then stated, " Okay. Just to clarify then, you guys [Dodge] don't feel as though the Uconnect system not operating properly as a feature of the vehicle that is covered under the warranty meets the criteria for the Lemon Law replacement, correct?" Erica then stated, "At this point, since it is an 'intermittent connectivity issue' it wouldn't qualify for any repurchase or replacement on our end. If you want to look into the action further on your end through the owners rights booklet [assuming they mean the blurb in the lemon law stuff given when you get the car manual, entertainment/media info, etc.], you are absolutely within your rights to do so." Husband then states, "You are aware that is more than just an 'intermittent connectivity issue' right? Like the radio actually shuts down while driving which then stops all features that go through that head unit, climate control, Sirius XM/Guardian/radio, USB, Bluetooth, phone, everything that's controlled through the head unit no longer functions when it freezes up like that." Erica then states, "I do understand the concern and the frustration there." My husband states he will then pursue the remedy as listed in the booklet (which we've already sent a letter initiating and they're playing coy about what the law details for our state).

My head unit was replaced in February (they did this due to Sirius Guardian issues and the head unit going blank and we were told just try a new cable for the USB stuff because at that time, they wouldn't even admit there was an issue with the 17's). They performed an update at that time as well. The media center was replaced just this past Monday, 2 hours later we were back at the dealership with the car to open another ticket, and video was provided to the service manager of the issue persisting. On Tuesday, more video was sent to the dealership when the unit wouldn't even shut down with the car off and the doors open. At no point since then has anyone suggested replacing the head unit with anything newer, and it was confirmed today there is no ETA on this fix. No person we've spoken to has even hinted at one.

It's very upsetting and at this point, I'm so angry that I don't even want their car or truck in my driveway if this is how they are going to treat us.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wicked V, I would deal directly with your dealer and have service inquire about the "new" head unit. My car was doing the exact same thing. Wouldn't stop rebooting. On the day I was to take it in for service, the car was dead, completely drained the battery. My customer service rep definitely said that the new units have a completely different part order number. It is early in, but so far everything seems to be working. Its is unfortunate that FCA outsourced the uconnect units to Panasonic (due to Apple and Android being added). We have owned over 10 Chrysler vans and never once had a problem with the uconnect systems. My service rep is out til Tuesday. I will try to ask her if these new units are definitely an upgrade to the current 17's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wicked V, I would deal directly with your dealer and have service inquire about the "new" head unit. My car was doing the exact same thing. Wouldn't stop rebooting. On the day I was to take it in for service, the car was dead, completely drained the battery. My customer service rep definitely said that the new units have a completely different part order number. It is early in, but so far everything seems to be working. Its is unfortunate that FCA outsourced the uconnect units to Panasonic (due to Apple and Android being added). We have owned over 10 Chrysler vans and never once had a problem with the uconnect systems. My service rep is out til Tuesday. I will try to ask her if these new units are definitely an upgrade to the current 17's.

golddogs- Thank you very much. This information is appreciated and I will contact the dealer first thing in the morning about this.

I just finished gathering all of paperwork and documentation. 11 visits to the dealerships since purchasing the car. I'm getting ready to put all of the audio/video documentation on a flash drive as well.

The worst part of all this is that until yesterday, Dodge themselves would not admit to us that this was a "known" issue that other owners are experiencing and just kept parroting at us to "take it to the dealership" when the dealer was telling us they could do nothing about it. We know now, of course, we are far from alone as we found out through a simple Google search, leading me to this forum, another Challenger forum and a Chrysler 300 forum and YouTube vids all detailing the issues we've had.

I've meticulously filled out every survey I've received from Dodge (the most recent one was June 7, 2017) and am so disappointed with the level of service we've [not] received so far on this issue that I'm at a loss for words. We sent the email in to Mr. Pietro Gorlier as recommended by MN-ScatPack (ty again!) and I hope it helps, but all of my surveys read:

"We hope your 2017 Dodge Challenger is performing to your expectations.

It is important that we provide you the best possible service experience. To help us do so, we invite you to complete our brief survey regarding your recent service experience. Your feedback is a valuable tool to help improve the experiences of our customers as well as guide future product development efforts. Your participation in the survey process is completely voluntary.

Please complete the survey at [link withheld for this post]

This survey will be available until 07/07/2017 [for this latest survey I filled out]

Thanks again,

Pietro Gorlier
President and CEO
Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care
and still, even utilizing the 4000 character allotment when filling them out to be sure I'm as detailed as possible, I feel like I'm not being heard. I will keep you all updated and again, the assistance and advice is deeply appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts

Hi Wicked V,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns with your vehicle. If you would like to PM our page with your VIN I'd like to further document your concerns in your case and look into this further for you.

Andrea
Dodge Social Care Specialist

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Wicked V,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns with your vehicle. If you would like to PM our page with your VIN I'd like to further document your concerns in your case and look into this further for you.

Andrea
Dodge Social Care Specialist
Hello Andrea,

I apologize for the delayed response. I was up quite late last night working.

I have sent you my VIN, my case number, the dealership name and address, the name of shop foreman that has been working on the vehicle and the service manager that has been working with us.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pherko,

In reference to your post about updating your radio .... I can tell about my experience so that you can add the info to your decision-making process.

Granted, my experience is from a year ago now, but I performed an update right after I bought my car (it was out of date), still had the paper plate on it!

I downloaded the update file and instructions from the Uconnect website and performed the update IAW the instructions. The update failed miserably resulting in the lockup of my radio completely, rendering it totally useless and in a continuous re-booting loop whenever the ignition was on. After talking with Uconnect support, ended up having to take the car to a dealer. They were unable to fix the issue and ended up having to order a whole new unit replacing my then current radio.

Until recently (see my other related posts), I had't had any further issues and also have not attempted any further firmware updates. During my subsequent calls to Uconnect Support, I have informed them that I will not be updating my system unless absolutely neccessary. Thankfully, my radio is up-to-date so far (as told to me by support). If and when I do have to update the system, I will be taking it to a dealer, letting them screw it up so its on them.

Recently, I also asked support if the current version had anything significant that would warrant an update, they told me no.

So, whatever its worth ........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts