·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some 8.4 units on Ebay. These are less then infotainment.com
some are low like $399 most are more like $499
I have the 5.0 screen size 2015 SXT Challenger
I just want the larger screen size, no need for XM or Nav

If I buy one of these will it be compatible?
I really do not want to loose Sport Mode
Any help would be much appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-JEEP-CHEROKEE-UCONNECT-8-4A-VP3-RA3-AM-FM-SXM-GPS-NAVIGATION-RADIO/142635306071?hash=item2135ba0c57:g:EzEAAOSwvR5aQBpF&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I found some 8.4 units on Ebay. These are less then infotainment.com
some are low like $399 most are more like $499
I have the 5.0 screen size 2015 SXT Challenger
I just want the larger screen size, no need for XM or Nav

If I buy one of these will it be compatible?
I really do not want to loose Sport Mode
Any help would be much appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-JEEP-CHEROKEE-UCONNECT-8-4A-VP3-RA3-AM-FM-SXM-GPS-NAVIGATION-RADIO/142635306071?hash=item2135ba0c57:g:EzEAAOSwvR5aQBpF&vxp=mtr
I would ask which firmware is installed. If it is the 17.11.07 then I would be hesitant to buy as that is the version that seems to drop sport mode for many.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! thats what I want to avoid
I just want the larger screen Size. I dont care for Apple Car Play or Navigation or even Sat Radio
HD Radio would be cool but its not worth it to me

So which version do i want to buy? Am I stuck buying from infotainment.com

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have you searched the forum? I found this old thread that has some good info. The PDF details the swap.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/2015-challenger-uconnect-5-0-8-4-upgrade-guide-357034/?357034=#post4901818
I would not be too sure that thread helps the OP much. That mostly talked about a radio from Infotainment or getting it from a Plus speced car with all the same options as the car the replacement radio is going into. If the radio is not programmed for the car(either by infotainment or by the chance it came from a car with all the same options as OP's car) things dont seem to work. IE either the media stack or SW controls, ETC wont work correctly.

As far as "being stuck with" a radio from infotainment.com not really. If you manage to get enough data from an ebay seller where the options from the donor car matches the options for your car it should be plug and play super easy swap. You could even use the utube video made by infotainment.com for this. You will also need the security code so make sure you get a radio that has one. There are actually "shady" places on the net where you can give them 35 dollars and the radio serial number and the vin# and they will give you the code so that is not actually a NEED either if you willing to pay the added fee of finding the radio code on your own. Depending on your google fu this may take a while to find or may not. Finding a place I would feel comfortable giving a CC# to that would actually give you the code though is where my personal hesitations would be.

Ron

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's not as easy as I would like it to be....Thats what I have been reading
I think I read that 66 pages of banter up and down a few times i always end up thinking wow what a PITA this is

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
So it's not as easy as I would like it to be....Thats what I have been reading
I think I read that 66 pages of banter up and down a few times i always end up thinking wow what a PITA this is
You could always go aftermarket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will a aftermarket u it control everything? Do they make a aftermarket 8.4 radio?
I dont need nav or xm I really just want the larger screen size. The 5.0 is weak

·
Registered
185 Posts
You actually can't go aftermarket, at least on the 2015's and up - can't speak to the prior iterations. The head unit controls just about everything.

If you want to make the switch (and I would argue it's worth it...), just save your pennies and suck up the $799 cost of buying it through infotainment and it's a simple plug and play. Will literally take you 15 minutes to swap out and you'll be off and running. It's not worth the gamble of buying it off ebay in my opinion when you know you'll get something that will absolutely work and have a company with a reputation for customer support and standing behind the product like you have with infotainment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the Firmware the problem or the unlock code?
I been in contact w/ the guy
he said the firmware 17.11.07 is installed and will provide unlock code
it is way less $ also

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can actually go aftermarket. There are companies that will allow after market radios to work in 15+ cars. However I would still agree with NWO about being worth it. The cost of a new radio is going to run you 2-5 hundred depending on options, you need a radio that will work with the car, you need other aftermarket items that are also a few hundred dollars that work with the car and the radio. By that time you spent the same or more than just getting one that works from the dealer, ebay, amazon, ETC. Plus you get an aftermarket radio and you will lose some features of car control that the radio does have(steering options and such) so you spend the same amount but lose the continuity of the car and a few features for controlling the car. You car may not come with those features though so you may not care(steering option, drive modes, DRL options, ETC.) I lean toward the OEM look in this car and spend the money somewhere else if you are not going to get a better OEM radio.

Ron

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best move I made!
The 8.4” screen is so much better the sound has improved as well
The dash is not 100% flush bit I will fix that

Huge Improvement over the weak 5.0” radio

·
Registered
387 Posts
The dash is not 100% flush bit I will fix that

Huge Improvement over the weak 5.0” radio
This is done by removing the "pegs" on the bottom of the bezel. The procedure is explained in one of the large replacement threads. I believe you know this already as I also believe you mentioned you read that in one of your posts....

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome the dremel tool worked perfect!
Dash sits way more flush then before
This has transformed the car if your car dosent have the 8.4”