Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down at my local dealer getting the oil changed on my 2017 SXT Plus and see they finally got a couple of R/T Plus cars in stock. I took one for a spin and have to say it won't be long till I talk myself into it. I figured I could get some more motivation here. I have a company car for work so my SXT is a weekend driver with about 7K in 2 years. I did all the bolt on mods and have her looking pretty mean. Pitch Black with blacktop package. I could always lease now to get into the car and buy it out after. I'm breaking even on my SXT so not underwater. Just had to vent cause this will overrun my mind that I have to have it. I just love the V8 active exhaust note. Still needs to be lower so another set of springs will be a must. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I was down at my local dealer getting the oil changed on my 2017 SXT Plus and see they finally got a couple of R/T Plus cars in stock. I took one for a spin and have to say it won't be long till I talk myself into it. I figured I could get some more motivation here. I have a company car for work so my SXT is a weekend driver with about 7K in 2 years. I did all the bolt on mods and have her looking pretty mean. Pitch Black with blacktop package. I could always lease now to get into the car and buy it out after. I'm breaking even on my SXT so not underwater. Just had to vent cause this will overrun my mind that I have to have it. I just love the V8 active exhaust note. Still needs to be lower so another set of springs will be a must. Thanks for letting me vent.
See if you can get the dealer to install Mopar Stage 1 springs on the R/T as a condition to buying it. (Like they throw in mudflaps if you ask).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Idea. The Stage 1 on an R/T should be about a 1 inch drop. I did the Eibach Pro kit and dropped the SXT 1.5 inch. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
My dealership offers me free oil change for this exact reason. I try not to look and stay in the service area. There is a green one that reminds me of my uncle's Barracuda.

If you can afford it, get it. Know that they will profit from the new one, and you will "loose" money on the old. You sound like you already know what you are doing.

Challenger is a car to enjoy.

Go for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealership offers me free oil change for this exact reason. I try not to look and stay in the service area. There is a green one that reminds me of my uncle's Barracuda.

If you can afford it, get it. Know that they will profit from the new one, and you will "lose" money on the old. You sound like you already know what you are doing.

Challenger is a car to enjoy.

Go for it.
Yes, the nature of the car dealer. But hey you only live once. I'm heading down now to get some real numbers. I know to the dealer my mods are worthless, but I'm sure they will profit from them when they sell my SXT. I may or may not pull the trigger tonight but get some numbers. My car should bring 22k wholesale and at least 3k off the new one. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
many dealers dont like any mods done and it will hamper resale, so dont be surprised if they come back with an offer for less than expected.
Others dont care eitherway.
Exhaust mods or anything violating emissions, or safety is a no go, even in less restricted states..in which case, I hope you saved your oem parts, ask me how I know..lol
best of luck, hope you snag the R/T!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many dealers dont like any mods done and it will hamper resale, so dont be surprised if they come back with an offer for less than expected.
Others dont care eitherway.
Exhaust mods or anything violating emissions, or safety is a no go, even in less restricted states..in which case, I hope you saved your oem parts, ask me how I know..lol
best of luck, hope you snag the R/T!!
I just did a cat back, CAI, and springs and have all OEM parts in the garage but true they will usually hit you but nothing that made a warranty impact and could be changed back to stock if needed and with OEM parts I should not expect too much of a mod impact on the trade value. I may even try to list it myself as its a decent looking SXT Plus with less than 7k on it and get fair retail. Good to have options.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
If it were me, I’d take the Eibach springs off the old one and put them on the new one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If it were me, I’d take the Eibach springs off the old one and put them on the new one.

Great idea. The SXT plus and R/T I believe they will fit. I like the 1.5 drop as its close in stance to an SRT8.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I just did a cat back, CAI, and springs and have all OEM parts in the garage but true they will usually hit you but nothing that made a warranty impact and could be changed back to stock if needed and with OEM parts I should not expect too much of a mod impact on the trade value. I may even try to list it myself as its a decent looking SXT Plus with less than 7k on it and get fair retail. Good to have options.
you could put your original springs back on your car before trading it in and then have them swapped on the R/T. Advantage, cost of springs plus you do not need to wait for them to settle to get an alignment done.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Great idea. The SXT plus and R/T I believe they will fit. I like the 1.5 drop as its close in stance to an SRT8.

As long as both cars are RWD, they should fit. If either were an AWD, you’d be out of luck (unless both were AWD).

If you trade the SXT in at the same time, there is no reason to leave the Eibach springs on it IMHO. The credit you are given for the trade-in value of the SXT will not have anything extra in it to reflect the lowering springs. In fact, it is not out of the question that a truly unscrupulous place could actually lower the trade-in value they offer for the car because it is lowered on non-OEM springs. That’s not likely, but not impossible either.

So if you already know you want the new Challenger lowered (and I agree the stock ride height is too high), it seems only natural to me to utilize the lowering springs you already posses. Granted they will have to be removed from the old car, but that’s a small annoyance in the grand scheme of things, I do believe.

The alternative is to leave them on the car (assuming it’s traded in), thereby giving them away for nothing, or worse yet, paying someone to take them (by virtue of getting a lowered trade-in value simply due to their presence on car at time of trade-in) and then still having to go buy another set for the new Challenger.

That’s a no-brainer to me on which way to go with that decision. :grin2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jp, best of luck with negotiations. R/T's are great rides.

For God's sake though, don't test drive a Scat Pack. It'll mess with your mind! Lol

I’m sure I would end up with a Scat Pack. There was one sitting next to the R/T Plus. Very tempting

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I have been trying to get a solid quote. I always negotiate the sales price before I tell them I am going to lease as I think buying the car(now) will put it out of reach payment wise. I even took my trade out of the picture and was going off their website price of 6K+ off sticker. I wish dealers where more transparent with internet pricing, have to live here and be a member of that, you know the drill. Well I am no further a long and just might hold onto my SXT Plus for another year. I gave it a try but the Local Dodge dealers (NJ) are a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Yes, it would be hard to let her go at this point. I stand to lose over 10k for 7,000 miles. I think I talked myself out of it for now. The 2020 refresh is coming and may make the 2019's a better deal. Still hard to find a decent dealer. After thinking, the dealer experience made me change my mind. Not a bad looking SXT. IMO

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
That whole headache you're encountering is definitely a pain to deal with, and you can't escape it, dealerships everywhere are like that. There is a very successful business (Autoflex Leasing) here in the Metroplex that started out as a way for ordinary people to lease a vehicle without all that hassle. They deal with the dealerships for you, and you just worry about the important stuff, like what color and mileage allowance.

You know the dealerships are intentionally being hard to deal with when their tactics are so extreme that whole "middlemen" businesses sprout up in response to their tactics.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personally, I'd hold on to the current ride and wait for the next model "refresh" before trading it in.

Yes, it would be hard to let her go at this point. I stand to lose over 10k for 7,000 miles. I think I talked myself out of it for now. The 2020 refresh is coming and may make the 2019's a better deal. Still hard to find a decent dealer. After thinking, the dealer experience made me change my mind. Not a bad looking SXT. IMO

I like this advice. Whatever upgrade FCA will make, it will make you feel better "paying" for it monthly knowing that it's the latest and different than what you got.

But honestly, your Challengers looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
I know it's not the same, but you can achieve a damned good WOT sound with the 3.6L if you replace the air intake tube and its integrated noise baffle with the right kind of aftermarket CAI (read: one which is not meant to maintain the noise reduction at WOT like the stock design does):

I saw that you mentioned you had already installed an aftermarket CAI. What kind/brand is it?

As a point of reference, I was able to achieve the sound recorded in that YouTube clip with the CAI model Injen sells for the 3.6L in these cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I gave it a try but Dodge dealers are the worst to deal with.
Don’t categorize all Dodge dealers by the results of your individual findings.

Additionally.......don’t be afraid to work a deal through email and email only.

I sought many deals via email when I bought the T/A for my daughter. I had previously bought her a 2016 SXT Plus, but I bought it at such a good deal that I received within $1,460 of what I paid for it two years and 12k miles previously.

Be diligent and keep searching......the deals are out there. I bought my T/A Plus at Cogdill Dodge in Knoxville, TN. The rebates in my region amounted to $4,000 plus I got $3,404 off (all the profit of $2,010 and 100% of the $1,394 holdback). Keep in mind this was on a 400 day old 2018.......but it was the trim level and color the daughter wanted. It was hard to get her to contain her excitement during the test drive as well as during pickup of the car. I also had them knock off $400 off of their documentary fees. Having a 797 credit score helped, as well as telling them I’m looking at a similar car in Nashville, TN.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
17 Participants
GSBrockman
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing