Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You have a beautiful ride there. No way would I take a 10k hit. You’ve made a wise decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the input guys. I also did not want to bash all Dodge dealers as I had just spent a couple of hours at one when I wrote the post. I am sure there are plenty of great dealers out there, just my local dealers have not been very transparent and hey they are in business to make a profit and the car I was looking at was fresh off the truck. Thanks for some great idea's like swapping springs.

GS...I did reach out to a couple of dealers via email. Thanks for the tip. They are out of my area but have the right car and I already have a response from them. I think I will at least get a solid quote on a lease and an out the door price to run payments buying the car and finance with my CU where I have my loan now and make a decision based on my 3 options. Keep, Lease or Buy.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I know it's not the same, but you can achieve a damned good WOT sound with the 3.6L if you replace the air intake tube and its integrated noise baffle with the right kind of aftermarket CAI (read: one which is not meant to maintain the noise reduction at WOT like the stock design does):

Pentastar with Injen CAI in the Passing Lane - YouTube

I saw that you mentioned you had already installed an aftermarket CAI. What kind/brand is it?

As a point of reference, I was able to achieve the sound recorded in that YouTube clip with the CAI model Injen sells for the 3.6L in these cars.
Thanks for the video, sounds great. My CAI is a K&H and I have the Flowmaster Cat Back. I have a very similar WOT but you have it nailed. Best V6 WOT IMO. I will research the air intake tube. I also take the ring out of the drivers headlight to open up even more airflow. My car has never seen rain so not to worry about my filter getting wet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just wanted to update as I found a very good dealer who gave me something to think about. I found an F8 Green R/T I can trade my car and have a lower payment, drawback...it's a lease. I am almost 2 years into paying off my SXT Plus. If I lease the R/T I have nothing after 3 years, if I keep my car I will almost have a clear title after 3 years. Numbers for a Scat Pack coming today but still thinking of keeping my car. One thing I did not mention before is that I'm 4-5 years away from retirement and keeping my SXT Plus will give me a payment free Challenger. If I lease I will have to buy the car out and make payments for another 4-5 years. The cost of those 2 cylinders. LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
To me, it's a no-brainer to keep your current Challenger - *especially* considering that you are retiring soon. Do you really want a car payment while retired?

How often will you *really* need/use the extra power provided by the V8? While it may be fun every once in a while to "punch it", the vast majority of the time, the power provided by the V6 is more than enough, unless you are going to the track or something.

Something else to consider - insurance costs will be significantly higher for a V8 Challenger than they are for a V6 Challenger. Obviously, there will be more fuel costs as well.

There is something to be said about having a payment-free vehicle. :)

But in the end, only *you* can make the decision as to what's worth it or not. :) I just know that retired folks typically have to manage their money better than someone that is actively working.

You already have a beautiful Challenger.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
To me, it's a no-brainer to keep your current Challenger - *especially* considering that you are retiring soon. Do you really want a car payment while retired?

How often will you *really* need/use the extra power provided by the V8? While it may be fun every once in a while to "punch it", the vast majority of the time, the power provided by the V6 is more than enough, unless you are going to the track or something.

Something else to consider - insurance costs will be significantly higher for a V8 Challenger than they are for a V6 Challenger. Obviously, there will be more fuel costs as well.

There is something to be said about having a payment-free vehicle. :)

But in the end, only *you* can make the decision as to what's worth it or not. :) I just know that retired folks typically have to manage their money better than someone that is actively working.

You already have a beautiful Challenger.
Thanks and yes keeping my car is the best way but it was fun thinking about it and everything you said is correct. This was my plan when I first purchased my Challenger. I have a company car so I can keep the Challenger in the garage and in like new condition and have her paid off at retirement.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,207 Posts
Something else to consider - insurance costs will be significantly higher for a V8 Challenger than they are for a V6 Challenger.
Is this opinion.....or fact?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Is this opinion.....or fact?
It's what I've heard... I actually heard it could be up to twice as much! However, I can't say that I know that from first-hand experience.

I would be interested to hear from someone that went from a V6 Challenger to a V8 Challenger - or vice-versa...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Was curious so I did a search - first thing I found this YouTube video:

His insurance for an SXT V6 was $250/month

His insurance for a Hellcat was $800/month (!!)

Granted, we are talking SXT vs. Hellcat here, but it's still V6->V8. :)

Obviously, he rates are sky-high becuase he is 17 years old, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless... The actual cost isn't what is important - but the difference in costs.

Curious to hear the difference between an SXT and an R/T.....

No idea how in the hell a 17 year old can afford $800/month for insurance alone! Geez...

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
It's what I've heard... I actually heard it could be up to twice as much! However, I can't say that I know that from first-hand experience.

I would be interested to hear from someone that went from a V6 Challenger to a V8 Challenger - or vice-versa...
2016 Challenger SXT Plus (B5 Blue) $498.40/6 months for full coverage
2018 Challenger T/A Plus (Yeller) $545.10/6 months for full coverage

Premiums increased $46.70/6 months I’m 54 but have an 18 year old daughter covered on another car...she can drive all of them. Needless to say....she drives Yeller all the time.

Not trying to be a dick....it just irks me when people pass off opine as fact, then someone else on a forum or the internet gets seriously misinformed.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
2016 Challenger SXT Plus (B5 Blue) $498.40/6 months for full coverage

2018 Challenger T/A Plus (Yeller) $545.10/6 months for full coverage

Premiums increased $46.70/6 months I’m 54 but have an 18 year old daughter covered on another car...she can drive all of them. Needless to say....she drives Yeller all the time.

Not trying to be a dick....it just irks me when people pass off opine as fact, then someone else on a forum or the internet gets seriously misinformed.
Even that is still almost a 10% increase, which could be significant for some, especially a retiree... I guess "significant" can mean different things to different people - whether or not a 10% incease is significant depends on ones "opinion". :) It's also just one data point. There are many factors involved - the increase could be more (or less) depending on where you live, age, credit history, etc.

It was my actually insurance agent that mentioned the a V8 Challenger would cost significantly more to insure when I called to put my Challenger on my insurance.

I'd be curious to hear how much of an increase some others have had to get a better idea of how much it goes up going from a V6 to a V8.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I have to chuckle at how you non-chalantly say “it’s just one data point”.....but yet your previous blanket statement using the word “significant” came over so matter-of-factly......

$46.70 ends up being a 9.37% increase.....over six months. That’s $0.26 per day. I am sorry.....$0.26 per day.....I gotta laugh. If I were a guessing person, I’d almost bet a large percentage of new shoppers would laugh at a $1.00/day increase.

Mentioning the fact that your insurance agent stated the “significant increase” versus yourself running along with the idea most likely would have lead to less discussion of this topic.

Reactions: nvoges

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As I said, I had heard that it was significantly more to insure a V8 Challenger than it was a V6 Challenger - and heard it from an insurance agent, who does this stuff every day, so why wouldn't I believe them? However, if someone takes that line from an internet forum post as absolute "gospel" without checking up on it themselves for their exact situation and their exact car, then they deserve to be "seriously misinformed".

Relax man...

How about this - I'll revise my statement to be "It *will* cost more to insure a V8 Challenger compared to a V6 Challenger. It's up to you to determine if that increase is *significant* or not." Happy now? <sigh>

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Change / edit what you want.

At this point in the conversation, it’s quite obvious that you’ve found an adequate length of rope and have hanged yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I just purchased a new 2019 RT and traded a 2015 SXT Plus. My insurance went up $38 annually.
Sounds like a “significant” increase. >:)

Reactions: nvoges

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,555 Posts
I went from $150/month for full coverage on a V6 LX to $120/month for liability only on a V8 LX.

Continuing the full coverage on the V8 LX would have doubled installment payments to almost $250/month.

Note: i have several factors working against me that increased policy amounts - previous at-fault accident, state awarded points for too many speeding tickets in a short amt of time, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
WOW WEEEEEEE! These numbers are killing me!!!! Outright thievery. My Scatpack I pay $657 per YEAR! That is up $50. from the first year. I was mad about that.
Are you putting those things through College or what? I am SO sorry. Could not imagine.... I'm over 60 with 0 kids married with the homeowners discount but still...
OUCH!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
WOW WEEEEEEE! These numbers are killing me!!!! Outright thievery. My Scatpack I pay $657 per YEAR! That is up $50. from the first year. I was mad about that.
Are you putting those things through College or what? I am SO sorry. Could not imagine.... I'm over 60 with 0 kids married with the homeowners discount but still...
OUCH!
Can you imagine the *$800 per month* insurance rate that 17 year old is paying for his Hellcat?!?! That is insane. I would never even pay that much for the car itself, let alone just for the insurance!! That comes out to $9,600 per year just for insurance!

$657 per year is pretty damn good for full coverage.

I'm 47 and and even without any "at-fault" claims (just had my first at-fault accident, but don't know how much of an increase it will be for that yet) and multple "discounts", such as:

Accident Free, Multicar, Vehicle Safety, Antitheft, Annual Mileage

I still pay 844.78 per year for full coverage on my 2018 Challenger GT (V6). I'm hoping the increase from my accident isn't more than 10%...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well I had pretty much decided to keep my SXT Plus but while I was looking I had some dealers sending email's of inventory and one caught my eye. Ready, A 2018 pitch black R/T Plus loaded with more options than my car. The car has 4K miles on it and can buy the car at 7K plus my car. I pulled the window sticker on the R/T and MSRP was $43965. I also asked that my springs be moved to the R/T and they where cool with that. Got my credit union to approve the loan at a great rate. I think this may be the car to get. They are asking 30.5K for the 2018 R/T and giving me 23.5K for my car. It's to good to be true. I can finance for 5 years and still be on track to have it paid by retirement. This R/T is like new and the right color, equipment and price. I think this is the one.

Reactions: GSBrockman
21 - 40 of 69 Posts