Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been poking around the threads and have come up with a list of mods I'd like to do on my 2009 SRT-8 6spd.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :scratchhead:

1) Tropical Storm from speedlogix $699.00 - maybe 28 hp gain? $24.96 per hp
2) MBRP Cat-Back S710249 $990.00 - 29 hp gain? $34.14 per hp
3) Arrington 85mm TB $499.00 - 15 hp gain? $33.27 per hp
4) Manacharger Supercharger 01-23-61-063-BL $6,299.00 - 125 hp gain? $50.39 per hp

Base HP - 425
Added HP - 197
Total HP - 622

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good list but you will see virtually no HP gains until you get to option #4. I'd be surprised if options 1-3 got you 10hp combined, would sound better though!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I can only speak to the #3 option myself. Yes its making a difference but I haven't had my SRT* re-diabloed & tuned in order to find out. Honestly though if your going with the #4 option, I think you might be better suited going with the 90mm tb. Please keep in mind that a lot of performance parts companies out their take a very "liberal" use of their supposed performance gains. Take for example your #2 choice. AFAIK, all the performance cat-back exhaust systems put out roughly +15 HP, that's it. From that standpoint your trusting your hearing as to which one sounds best. Checkout a website I found on the web; 2011 Challenger - Everything Dodge Challenger » Challenger Nut. This dude has put a whole bunch of sound clips from the various exhaust manufacturers all in one place. So I don't have a clue as to why they claim there's will make close to twice the average amount? Ask to see hard documentation regarding this.
My mission with my SRT8 is take it it to the edge as far as performance goes without voiding my factory warranty. I'm sure you're aware that putting the supercharger on you'll be voiding your warranty, just a helpful "head up".
Hope you found some of what i said useful.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The mods I'd suggest are as follows;

- MBRP or Corsa exhaust
- SRTMax cam
- Predator
- CAI
- dyno tune- make sure you get a good tuner who know's six speeds
- Skip shift eliminator
- Hurst shifter with billet mod

All in about $4,000. Car feels like an entirely different beast- totally alive from idle to redline.

How I know- it's the mod list I used.

Anything more than this, you need to start working on traction.

Other stuff I installed is mostly bling.

·
Registered
978 Posts

- MBRP or Corsa exhaust
- SRTMax cam
- Predator
- CAI
- Skip shift eliminator

All in about $4,000. Car feels like an entirely different beast- totally alive from idle to redline.

If you got the car dyno tuned, wouldn't that negate having a Predator tuner? What would you use it for if your car is professionally tuned?

Also, I thought you could shut off the skip-shift feature WITH a Predator so if he had a Predator, why would he still need the skip-shift eliminator?

:scratchhead:

When you get your car tuned, is it a one-time deal or does the car become a finicky PITA???

How much $$$ are you looking @ when considering a tune?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The cars are tuned with either a Predator or Trinity. Well, I should say that's how the tune is loaded to the car.

You are correct about not needing a skip shift eliminator though. The Predator shuts that off. B

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

- MBRP or Corsa exhaust
- SRTMax cam
- Predator
- CAI
- Skip shift eliminator

Did you take a big MPG hit? This car is my daily driver and at the rate gas prices are going I don't want to take a big MPG hit. I don't get in the pedal much and most of my driving is highway so I see an average of around 22 mpg with my stock car.

·
Banned
928 Posts
I've been poking around the threads and have come up with a list of mods I'd like to do on my 2009 SRT-8 6spd.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :scratchhead:

1) Tropical Storm from speedlogix $699.00 - maybe 28 hp gain? $24.96 per hp
2) MBRP Cat-Back S710249 $990.00 - 29 hp gain? $34.14 per hp
3) Arrington 85mm TB $499.00 - 15 hp gain? $33.27 per hp
4) Manacharger Supercharger 01-23-61-063-BL $6,299.00 - 125 hp gain? $50.39 per hp

Base HP - 425
Added HP - 197
Total HP - 622
you definately won;t see 29 hp from a cat back system.. less than 10 more likely!..Same with the other items except the blower.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When my car was mostly stock i dynoed it then put a bigger throttle body and catback on and i gained 6hp at the wheels. A catback and bigger throttle body are useless in the performace area unless you have a good bit of other mods. Catbacks are good for sound and thats it, dont forget your getting rid of the 3'' mandual bent exhaust and putting another 3" mandual bent exhaust (srt8). When i had all the mods that are listed in my profile except i had hhp's less aggressive stage 2 cam i was repeadidly getting 26 mpg on the highway. Now with the 6speed stage 2 cam im getting 22mpg. Good luck with your car!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ironside- it's not just the Predator which is one way to upload your tune. A good tuner will have expensive dealer Predator software ($3,500) and a highly developed file they upload into your car. Some PCM's respond differently than others, so it can take a few uploads and tweaks before it's exactly as you like it (warm up time, idle speed, surging, max rpm, how it lopes at idle, as well an array of fuel and ignition curves).

Lars09- mileage stayed about the same, but I should disclaim up front that I don't care a lot about mileage- I hammer my car a lot of the time; I don't do any hairy burnouts or high speed stuff, just solid acceleration to the speed limit. Zero "good mileage" techniques employed. It gets about 12 mpg; about the same as before and after the cam, which is an SRTMax, moderately stiff cam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts