Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's too soon to be asking this, as the order banks still have to opened. But what upgrades are you planning when you get your hellcat, I.E., cai, gear , pulley, bigger rear tires, free flow cats, please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
399 Posts
None, it's got 707 horsepower already for pete's sake, and a system to open up to straight through pipes that are as loud as I ever want to be when I put my foot in it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Really - performance mods - I can't see any really. I will:

- Skip Shift Eliminator
- Tinted windows
- Hood pins
- Some air brushing (design in place of Supercharged logo on front fender
- Door sills and pedal kit if not standard
- Hide away front license plate

CAI makes no sense given how it sucks air in, it comes with a tune, exhaust is free flow, no speed limiting (never on SRT's) - I don't know, just don't see performance upgrades worth the $$ - JMHO

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The elbow that goes into the air intake,, also,, what about a pulley, that would make a huge difference,, The Shelby makes 15 pounds of boost,, I'm sure the hellcat would be insane with a few more pounds of boost

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
There is another thread from a month or so back about the same...my thinking is still the same. In order:

Immediately:
Tint (rear 15% front 25% and windshield 80%)
Passport radar detector
Hood wrap (satin black custom cut) matching mirror and door handle wrap
Stage 1 Lowering springs (or cut down stockers only seeking half inch drop)
315/35R20 rear tires, Nitto NT05
Open the valves so exhaust remains opened -maybe a 3" exhaust setup..?
Rear seat delete kit

A few months in...
Port intake/blower snout and tb, polish interior surfaces
Some sort of CAI setup that flows a few % better than stock box
Replace passenger side false light with drivers side open one, route to CAI

12 months (once we can get into the ECU):
Long tube headers
180 degree T-stat
Tune and another couple lbs boost (whatever the electronic setting will allow it to go to)
--the pulley on these are already pretty small so not sure going much smaller would be a good idea...if we can get a couple lbs out of the electronic limiter (tune) then I think that will suffice for a while... my goal is 777 hp :)
If I can do headers and a couple lbs of boost and pickup 10% across the board that should hold me a while... to gain 70 from more boost, headers, tune and porting should be doable!

18 months:
270 cam (or the equivalent - not wanting the largest so if comp offers 3 like they do with the 392 I'd get the middle one this time, most average power and some lope --> goal 800+ hp so pickup 30 from cam is reasonable) at nearly 700 whp I think that's about as far as I'd take it...won't win every single race but won't lose many either lol.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like your plan, as soon as they break the computer I would do a boost increase, intake and pulley if possible. Later a Cam and headers, porting blower, bigger injectors, etc...

These things on my CTS-V picked up 200hp!

I would be happy with 800-850 flywheel.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I like your plan, as soon as they break the computer I would do a boost increase, intake and pulley if possible. Later a Cam and headers, porting blower, bigger injectors, etc...

These things on my CTS-V picked up 200hp!

I would be happy with 800-850 flywheel.
I have read somewhere that a whole computer will be needed to tune these cars which I wouldn't doubt..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have read somewhere that a whole computer will be needed to tune these cars which I wouldn't doubt..
Same has been said every year...12 months later the codes are broken... Brand new Vipers are getting twin turbo setups this way though...putting a whole new computer in place for a couple grand. I'd wait and tune that one it has... This was the case in 2011 with the Challenger 392 also...wasn't until nearly 2013 that we could tune so many were changing out computers to 2010 ones. With this complex a setup I'd like to avoid that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lowering kit.

Widen the rear wheel to ten inches (maybe.10.5) and a 305 or 315 tire if it will fit.

Possibly a shot of nitrous. More HP and cools down the intake/supercharger.

Tint.

Carbon fiber driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Tint right away......

Then run that Kitty cat stock for a bit....I want to know the stock #'s of the M6.....and get used to it.....know it's stock behavior.....

Then...fat meats out back....wider rims.....

Then I am most likely going to lower it if it doesn't settle down more out back....

That is all.....707 (prob underrated) ...is enough to do serious damage as is.....just need traction.....lots of traction :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A 305 tire will fit the stock rim, Tim CEO of srt calls it out in one of his videos, so if you put in drag tires at 305, that car will be a beast, plus high flow cats, i can't wait..

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Immediate: tint and wire exhaust valve fuse to a switch.
At some point down the road: lower via coilovers.
Possible at some point: aftermarket wheels with sticky rubber, offset size.

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Same has been said every year...12 months later the codes are broken... Brand new Vipers are getting twin turbo setups this way though...putting a whole new computer in place for a couple grand. I'd wait and tune that one it has... This was the case in 2011 with the Challenger 392 also...wasn't until nearly 2013 that we could tune so many were changing out computers to 2010 ones. With this complex a setup I'd like to avoid that.
I have a 2011 IE I remember that time of waiting for tuning to become available along with the harness/computer swaps. I would rather have a new plug and play computer with all parameters available for tuning than having some tuning features not available for a while if and when it has been broken into.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It took two years for the codes to be broken on a NA 6.4 engine, and the Active Intake Manifold is still making stock pistons do the Mexican Hat Dance when going FI. A couple of months ago on another forum AJ from Arrington made a thread highlighting these issues, showing an AFR difference of more than one point from bank to bank on the same dyno pull. So nearly 4 years after introduction tuning for the 6.4L Hemi still isn't perfected... I don't see any tuning options for the Hellcat for years, added complexity with the SC along with limited demand, how many folks are going to spend 60k on a car and then void the warranty by using it as a guinea pig for testing ?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It took two years for the codes to be broken on a NA 6.4 engine, and the Active Intake Manifold is still making stock pistons do the Mexican Hat Dance when going FI. A couple of months ago on another forum AJ from Arrington made a thread highlighting these issues, showing an AFR difference of more than one point from bank to bank on the same dyno pull. So nearly 4 years after introduction tuning for the 6.4L Hemi still isn't perfected... I don't see any tuning options for the Hellcat for years, added complexity with the SC along with limited demand, how many folks are going to spend 60k on a car and then void the warranty by using it as a guinea pig for testing ?
Yeah I hear ya I was waiting on ability to tune to do my cam swap until January of this year...on a 2012. So I'm sure it will be a year to two before we can do much. I've seen all the intake issues as I was about to pull the trigger on a big build with API... bore/stroke to 426 and fully forge...D1 Procharger and 14 lbs of boost...axle half shafts...gauges, fuel pump, injectors, clutch etc and a BIG definite on the build sheet was swap to 6.1L intake (port matched to my heads) for the AFR variability issues with the active intake messing airflow up...BOOM. No thanks! :eek2:

But I'm SURE...API and MM will have someone's HellCat for testing if not their own. Big money in it for them...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Immediate will be adding a layer of bronze plasti-dip and glossifier over my hyper black
wheels. I'm not waiting for, or paying extra for "brass monkey" when it's nothing more
than paint.

Tint and some sort of protection for the lower parts of the car.. either 3M or Xpel but
I may have to wait till someone has patterns ready.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts