Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can tell by all of the other post on here that this subject is getting beaten to death but my plan is a bit different. I have an 18 R/T with, from what I can tell, has a base, no frills sound system (speakers with green paper cones, magnets the size of oreo cookies and frames made out of plastic) which I am in the process of upgrading. This is a lease so I'm not putting some high end system in the car. I so far have sourced factory and aftermarket Kicker speakers that were made for our cars back in the mid to late 2000's which are an easy swap in and sound great. I'd like to figure out though if I have a factory Amp. I have heard fair tales of this far off place called the "under the driver's side dash" where the amp may have its lair, if it was there at all, but never seen any pictures to go along with it. It seems like I'd have a better time finding a picture of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. I'd like to get some guidance before I tear apart the dash looking for something that may or may not be there.

What would the Amp look like? Color? Size?
If I don't have one is there a place it would be?
Would there be some connectors that would be tied up if there was not one?
If I don't have one, could I easily add one and if so what part number?

I also noticed in my dissection that there is a spot on the back deck between the two 6.5" speakers for an 8" sub. A cheap and easy way to fill that is with the Pioneer Shallow depth, Free Air 300 watt sub I bought. I bought a used Kicker Mono Amp to go with it and will install that in the next day or so.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was for a 2013, but as far as I know, the location hasn't changed

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/factory-amp-location-92635/#post1257519

Left of steering shaft behind kick panel, silver box is about all I find. Surprised no one ever took a picture

A Guy
Ok great - thanks! I have a question about how to get that kick panel off - (I am correct that the kick panel is the panel right below the steering column or is it the plastic panel next to the "dead" pedal?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok great - thanks! I have a question about how to get that kick panel off - (I am correct that the kick panel is the panel right below the steering column or is it the plastic panel next to the "dead" pedal?

Thanks!

Scott
Scott...A Guy is correct - the factory 276w amp is under the lower area of the steering column just about right over your feet. If you remove the large panel down there you can see it...should be a silverish/gray color and rectangular. Here's a photo of one.

That fiber board panel with two christmas tree style push fasteners can be a bear to get off. You just have to pull down firmly but evenly on the panel area surrounding each plastic pin. Don't jerk it, but pull down with even, but firm pressure. The fiberboard panel will pull right off. Those pins are friction lock type pins, not screw on's. When they are still new and have never been taken off before they can feel like they won't come off, but with gentle applied downward pressure working from side to side on each pin the panel will detach without damage. Another tip that might help you is to pull down the edge of the panel and slide your finger tips inside the panel as close to the pins as you can get them while pulling down...and work side to side to bring the panel down and off evenly so it doesn't bind from being crooked.

To reinstall, simply line up the pin and press firmly back into place. Hope this helps! :smile:

----------------------------------//----

·
Registered
349 Posts
Okay, for everyone who's always wondered where that 276 Watt amp is located and how to get there, I've taken photos using my car as a guinea pig. It really helps to use trim tools to pull that cover down since you get more focused pulling power with the trim tool slid under and around the fastener. >:)

And, of course, I notice I made a typo in the first photo...and didn't save the source file! That'll teach me....:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I definitely don't have an amp.... I got under there and looked around in that general area and found nothing. I took a picture from the opposite direction than what you did - attached below. Now seeing your picture I now know I most certainly have no amp but it brings up another question - that fairly large wire harness attached to your amp - where are all of those wires? I did see a small "Block" of wires in that area (a little fuzzy but can be seen at the bottom of my attached picture) that may be for each speaker? I'll have to test more.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok I definitely don't have an amp.... I got under there and looked around in that general area and found nothing. I took a picture from the opposite direction than what you did - attached below. Now seeing your picture I now know I most certainly have no amp but it brings up another question - that fairly large wire harness attached to your amp - where are all of those wires? I did see a small "Block" of wires in that area (a little fuzzy but can be seen at the bottom of my attached picture) that may be for each speaker? I'll have to test more.
You're going to need to get a factory wiring diagram to figure anything out as far as that goes. There's a lot of wiring under the dash that goes with the airbag and other systems that are non-radio related things - I would be careful about disturbing things too much trying to figure out what it is, especially on a lease car ($$$$). If you're car is a base SXT with the 5" screen I'm almost sure there is no amp in the system - the signals go straight to the speakers once they leave the back of the Uconnect radio. If you could somehow get a wiring schematic maybe you could figure it out. I'd say at the bare minimum you could swap out the speakers in the dash and the rear deck with some Kickers or Infinity Reference speakers. That would make it sound a lot better than it does now I'd think. Here's a link that I used when I swapped my factory speakers out for Infinity References - It's not too hard to do either and should make for a cleaner sound with more dynamics even on a base radio.

--------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
110 Posts
You could be charged with a with a penality on a lease car for repairs to the original system. Don't go to far you do not own the car!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could be charged with a with a penality on a lease car for repairs to the original system. Don't go to far you do not own the car!!!
Joe, That's exactly what I have in the back of my mind! And that's why all the speakers I have replaced and will be replacing are "factory" speakers. I am adding the Kicker speakers that were available with the SRT cars several years back. Since there is no factory Amp, I'll just leave it alone as the system sounds pretty decent with the better Kicker speakers. I figure if I add the kicker speakers, which all use factory connectors, they won't be noticed unless some one REALLY looks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're going to need to get a factory wiring diagram to figure anything out as far as that goes. There's a lot of wiring under the dash that goes with the airbag and other systems that are non-radio related things - I would be careful about disturbing things too much trying to figure out what it is, especially on a lease car ($$$$). If you're car is a base SXT with the 5" screen I'm almost sure there is no amp in the system - the signals go straight to the speakers once they leave the back of the Uconnect radio. If you could somehow get a wiring schematic maybe you could figure it out. I'd say at the bare minimum you could swap out the speakers in the dash and the rear deck with some Kickers or Infinity Reference speakers. That would make it sound a lot better than it does now I'd think. Here's a link that I used when I swapped my factory speakers out for Infinity References - It's not too hard to do either and should make for a cleaner sound with more dynamics even on a base radio.

--------------------------------------//----
That link is exactly what I needed! THANKS! I have figured out the doors and rear deck but not the dash so this is very helpful. Thanks again!

·
Registered
349 Posts
That link is exactly what I needed! THANKS! I have figured out the doors and rear deck but not the dash so this is very helpful. Thanks again!
I also watched this Youtube video that shows how to swap out the front speakers....you should now be able to change them out with an extreme level of confidence I'd think! :grin2:

-------------------------------------//----

1 - 11 of 11 Posts