Dodge Challenger Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all thank you so much for the sticky, it has helped me to understand much more about what I am dealing with, and I don’t feel quite so lost. I am a first time poster, new Challenger owner. As with many other folks, I am confused so perhaps you knowledgeable folks here on the forum might be able to help me out. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger with push button start and a stock RES stereo with Uconnect, Voice Command with mic in the rear view mirror, and Sirius XM radio, it works great I simply want to upgrade to a NAV stereo and add a backup camera. I have found many RHR, RER, low speed radios for around $500.00, wondering which is the best way to go ? I have also found a Model RHB, Garmin Navigation, Low Speed, Code 9998, Part number P68282477AE, Serial number T00AM2006T0022, Manufacture date JUL 18 2016, Software Application 61.00.03, Grace notes 1D86, HDD 28GB. I simply want a plug and play installation that will work with exactly what I already have. I am aware I will need to add a NAV antenna, (not sure which one) and not really sure where to go with the backup camera. I believe the RHB would probably be the best solution, not too sure about the GPS antenna.
Any help or ideas you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your time.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
First of all thank you so much for the sticky, it has helped me to understand much more about what I am dealing with, and I don’t feel quite so lost. I am a first time poster, new Challenger owner. As with many other folks, I am confused so perhaps you knowledgeable folks here on the forum might be able to help me out. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger with push button start and a stock RES stereo with Uconnect, Voice Command with mic in the rear view mirror, and Sirius XM radio, it works great I simply want to upgrade to a NAV stereo and add a backup camera. I have found many RHR, RER, low speed radios for around $500.00, wondering which is the best way to go ? I have also found a Model RHB, Garmin Navigation, Low Speed, Code 9998, Part number P68282477AE, Serial number T00AM2006T0022, Manufacture date JUL 18 2016, Software Application 61.00.03, Grace notes 1D86, HDD 28GB. I simply want a plug and play installation that will work with exactly what I already have. I am aware I will need to add a NAV antenna, (not sure which one) and not really sure where to go with the backup camera. I believe the RHB would probably be the best solution, not too sure about the GPS antenna.
Any help or ideas you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Everything you need to know is within this post. I know it will take a minute to read through it all but information on which unit, which cables, antenna etc.. is in here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will this radio fit? New car to me.

Hi everybody,

New to the Dodge scene. Just picked up a 2012 Challenger SXT Plus. Trying to poke through this thread to find out if the touchscreen radio will fit in the place of the base radio. Thanks all!

Go from this

To this?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Hi everybody,

New to the Dodge scene. Just picked up a 2012 Challenger SXT Plus. Trying to poke through this thread to find out if the touchscreen radio will fit in the place of the base radio. Thanks all!

Go from this

To this?
Welcome!

Check out the very first page of this post. I just performed it a few weeks back using that info.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
On my 14, I went from a 130 to a 430N. I found a low speed bus 430N RHB from a Challenger and it was an easy plug and play. Make sure if you get a late 2011 radio or newer that you also get the security code as you will need it to unlock the radio.

Mine worked great, just like it was factory installed and swear it even made the Sound Group II sound better.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a great sticky! I've read the whole thing and learned a lot. I'm still confused about one thing. I'm having a hard time figuring out which 2011 radios have Navigation. The one obviously does because it has a "NAV" button, and that one says it's a Garmin, but another one that "says" it has Navigation just has a "My Files" button in place of the NAV button. Does this radio actually have navigation????
I've never seen a photo of the one that says My Files with any navigation showing on the screen. Even the Dodge site doesn't list two 430N radios. Another site shows a RHB 430N and a RHR 430N.

I'm primarily interested in 2011s which I am looking for. I have also seen photos of later years that have the "My Files" button but also have a touch screen button that says Nav. It's really confusing.

help.

Verne

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi, 730N,430N has nav and the 430 does not...430 plug n play but you have to purchase 2011-2014 radio and also have the dealer code.....I went to the dealer and in 30 min at no charge they gave me the code YMMV......

·
Registered
15 Posts
While shopping on line for a car, I would like to be able to determine which radio it has by the buttons and the look of it. Not all ads post a VIN so I can't search for the window sticker.

From what I've read, the 430N has Nav. I found one that had the 730N that had nav but had the "my files" button.

I think the code is only for one that says "security".

Verne

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a '14 R/T Classic with the SIRIUSXM 130 (I have a 430N on the way) and for a couple weeks now or so, I have static on a lot of stations that were crystal clear (On FM, I get no AM here in the triad area of NC but that is normal for me as every car I owned couldn't get AM anyway). Only genre I listen to is rock and the modern-day rock station of course is super static-y. The classic rock station is crystal clear. I did use the seek feature and I pick up a lot of stations that are fine but for the ones that I and family members use, is really static-y when they were once crystal clear. I only had the car since mid-February and everything is/was fine. I remember it working fine and the next day when I get in it to go to work, trouble started (static). The ones that are static pick up fine in other vehicles. I tested in a 2003 Dodge Dakota R/T, 2006 Nissan Xterra S/C, and a 2006 Land Rover. All picking up the static-y stations just fine and dandy.

Anyone have any ideas? (No, I haven't washed the Challenger recently as pollen makes it a waste of time. I own no garage or carport. I just wet a microfiber towel and very gently wipe the car down. I did before Spring started but the static problem didn't start until 2-3 weeks ago so I know that didn't cause it.)

Any help is appreciated. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I have a '14 R/T Classic with the SIRIUSXM 130 (I have a 430N on the way) and for a couple weeks now or so, I have static on a lot of stations that were crystal clear (On FM, I get no AM here in the triad area of NC but that is normal for me as every car I owned couldn't get AM anyway). Only genre I listen to is rock and the modern-day rock station of course is super static-y. The classic rock station is crystal clear. I did use the seek feature and I pick up a lot of stations that are fine but for the ones that I and family members use, is really static-y when they were once crystal clear. I only had the car since mid-February and everything is/was fine. I remember it working fine and the next day when I get in it to go to work, trouble started (static). The ones that are static pick up fine in other vehicles. I tested in a 2003 Dodge Dakota R/T, 2006 Nissan Xterra S/C, and a 2006 Land Rover. All picking up the static-y stations just fine and dandy.

Anyone have any ideas? (No, I haven't washed the Challenger recently as pollen makes it a waste of time. I own no garage or carport. I just wet a microfiber towel and very gently wipe the car down. I did before Spring started but the static problem didn't start until 2-3 weeks ago so I know that didn't cause it.)

Any help is appreciated. :)
there's an antenna RF amplifier (upper grid lines in rear window are antenna) that boosts the signal. Its possible that you may have an issue with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
there's an antenna RF amplifier (upper grid lines in rear window are antenna) that boosts the signal. Its possible that you may have an issue with that.
Alright but how would I..well...troubleshoot/fix/whatever with those? Tried googling with no avail. Never had this problem in the '16 SXT I use to have.:|

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
there's probably a diagnostic procedure

Here's a video (Chrysler 300, but all LX / LC / LD / LA vehicles have the same position) that part is referred to as an Antenna Booster.

Challengers have the rear quarter trim and the C pillar trim panels - different look vs. the 4 door models

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pretty much have to go to a dealership then, which I was hoping to avoid. Ah well. I can talk to them about getting the DRLs turned on too since I'll be there anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
there's probably a diagnostic procedure

Here's a video (Chrysler 300, but all LX / LC / LD / LA vehicles have the same position) that part is referred to as an Antenna Booster.

How to Replace Antenna Module 05-10 Chrysler 300 - YouTube

Challengers have the rear quarter trim and the C pillar trim panels - different look vs. the 4 door models

Will keep this in mind. Thanks :) Update on my situation:

I bought a MyGig 430N RHB off of ebay (had no antitheft) and installed it with no issues. Static is gone. Everything was plugged in the old Media Center 130 (aka no touchscreen) just fine. Maybe the radio messed up or something out of the blue? Weird.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
that's a good outcome - you now have the upgrade head unit and quiet radio reception - WIN

·
Registered
8 Posts
This question seems to come up quite frequently. What do I need to upgrade my 130 to a RER/RHB/RHR, is it (PNP) plug and play? So I thought I might write up some information to maybe ease the pain. This may be something the MODs might want to sticky because of how frequent this topic comes up.

Here we go.

1) When upgrading to MyGig, the first thing one should look for is a LOW BUS speed unit. These were used in many vehicles and are plentiful to be found used at a reasonable price. Far from many rumors, the BUS speed has not changed since the first Challenger up until 2014. This is a true PNP, radio wise. Just plug it in, and it works. No going to dealer to activate anything. If buying used from unreliable source, get the part number and do a Google search to see if it cross references to your application. If local, plug it into your car on the spot. It doesn't take but a little time. If your car doesn't start, don’t buy it. It’s a HIGH speed BUS unit.

2) In 2011, the RER changed to RHR and 430n became a NAV. With that, most import to note is that the antenna changed. They combined the NAV and Sirius into one. If putting RHB/RHR into 2010- might be best to purchase new antenna. RER into 2011+ is ok because you still need separate antenna for NAV.

3) Any unit 2012 and newer requires a 4 digit anti-theft pin code to activate (so they say, some have reported different). When purchasing one used, make sure you get it. If not, you will need the VIN from the donor car to retrieve the pin from dealer.

4) 2010- units will work in 2011+ vehicles and vice versa as well. See notes above about antenna changes.

5) 430n’s have external hands free modules. 730n’s have internal hands free modules.

6) The easiest way to convert from 130 with Uconnect is to use the RHB. No adapter harness is needed.

7) If you have Uconnect and want to upgrade to RER/RHR, you WILL need a conversion harness to get your mic to work. They make 2. The first is part number 82211666 ($119.00) and is intended for 2010- vehicles. This goes from back of radio to mic’d mirror. With this you will need part number 68068278AB ($25.00) as well to connect console USB. For 2011+ they came out with another harness. Part number 82212906 ($81.40). This harness goes directly from the back of radio to the OEM plug you unplugged from the HFM. With it comes the USB extension you will need to get the console USB to function again. Now, I can’t verify if 2010- owners can purchase the 82212906 and use this and save some cash. The part number for the hands free module changed for 2011 but the 22 way wire connector stayed the same.

That is about all I can think of now. If anyone knows of better or more info, please post. This can be an ongoing post for others to contribute to. The more the merrier.

LOW SPEED UNIT Part numbers NOTE: Some units came RSC(Sirius) and NON RSC. When purchasing, ask for confirmation (or a picture of unit) if this is an option you want. Also, as stated above, 2012+ units are security code locked. You need code from seller and/or may need receipt and vin from seller to get code from dealer.

This is most but probably not all. They are multi fit: meaning they are not only Challenger part numbers. Some are Compass, Avenger, Caliber,Patriot. All being LOW SPEED.

RER (730n) 2008-2010
05064401AK
05064737AD
05064816AD

REN (430) 2008-2010
05064756AC
05091167AD
05091306AC
05091307AC
05091168AD
05064758AC

RHR (730n) 2011-2014
05064821AE
05091656AE
68224879AA
68092001AE

RBZ (430) 2011-2014
05064676AH
05091167AD
05091306AE
05091307AE
05091168AD
05064677AH

RHB (430n) 2011-2014
05064840AH
05091183AD
05091335AF
05064836AH
05091184AD
05091336AF
Thank you, This is just what I needed. Is there an information page somewhere that lists all the different media options and explains all the different RER/RHB/RHR ? I'm brand new to this and don't have a clue.

Thank you

221 - 236 of 236 Posts