Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found gaining the exact info I'm needing has been quite the task, so hopefully someone in the know will offer some clarity for me.

So here is where I'm at with this currently:

• 2013 Challenger with stock RES radio and external UConnect. I believe the mic is located in the mirror.
  • I am upgrading to an RHR unit which has internal U Connect. On that subject, I need to know if there is an adaptor I'll need to buy to bypass the existing external Uconnect and/or to make my mic in my mirror continue working.
  • My understanding is that my 2013 came with the Nav antenna and Sirius antenna being a single connector. Will that work for the RHR as it is, or will I need a seperate antenna (saw info on people having to add one that is magnetic, under the dash).
  • I am wanting to add backup camera and unlock nav and dvd while in motion. I have purchased a used NAV TV ALLGIG-XG FT to accomplish this (same thing as a Lockpick for the most part).
  • I am assuming everything should just be plug n play with just the radio and the Nav TV (with the exception of possibly some sort of a Uconnect bypass adaptor or (eek.... splicing) so I can retain my mirror mic, if it's needed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated so I can get all the parts I will need on the way to me. (And yes, I know I will need a security code, which my local dealership says they will give me for like $15).

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
453 Posts
so when i upgraded my factory 130res to 430n{rhb i believe that's the code} the 430 was a 2010 which used two antenna inputs nav and sat well like stated above in 2012 they combined them to one but i plugged mine into the sat input and it gets gps input even though a separate antenna was never put in. while researching my info in another thread and watching youtube videos our res radios have external uconnect modules and the 730 use the internals and take a jumper harness to utilize the mirror mic. as for the lock pick stuff i cannot help you but i do know the 730 you can voice command address inputs by voice while in motion. if you want to double check my info on the uconnect just open the glove box press the side in and remove the stop cable let it drop completly down and on the right side you will see your uconnect module

when i was upgrading this is full of info on the topic some of it is wrong like saying 130 to the 730 is the easiest. but the 130 to 430 took 5 mins for me to remove the old and install the new put the trim back in and fire it up and done nothing else other then the radio was needed unlike the jumper wire install for the 730
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/upgrading-130-430n-730n-106810/

jumper cable
https://www.infotainment.com/products/uconnect-module-jumper-cable

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you already have the RES 130 radio with OEM Satellite radio, then you have the GPS antenna already. The GPS antenna is combined with the Satellite radio antenna starting with 2011 Challengers. It is a single antenna connection at the back of the radio.
If you switch to a 2011-2014 430 or 430N radio, it is plug-and-play with your car as long as you have the new radio's unlock code. When one of these radios is pulled from one car, the first screen you'll see when you turn it on is to input the lock code. Without it - your new radio won't work. Make sure the seller gives you that code. It's easier for them to get it from the dealer (if they bought their car new with that radio) than for you to get it later. If you have the code, just enter it and the radio will work - and the nav will work.
If you switch to the RHR radio - that's a bigger deal. You have to buy two wiring conversion harnesses, open up the center console to run one of them and you have to disconnect your existing bluetooth device because the RHR comes with it internally. The 430 or 430N is a far easier upgrade.
If you can find a 2011 year model 430 or 430N radio, it will not require the lock code - but you're getting a 6 year old radio and it may not have some of the newer tech, such as the TravelLink option.

If I were doing it again, I'd look for the 2013 or 2015 model year radio that someone is selling with the lock code - and hopefully from someone that guarantees it works well and isn't scratched up.

If you try a 2010 year model radio (or older) you will likely have issues - they need a separate Nav antenna that needs to be installed under the dash. If you go older than 2010, the wiring may not be compatible.

The 430 and 430N radios are the same except the "N" adds navigation. The 430N navigation is Garmin. I like it more than the nav system in the RHR radios. I also like it because it is plug and play - no dash modifications needed and no wiring changes at all if your original radio is an 2011-2014 RES 130 with Satellite radio.

Remember to get the lock code for your radio if you plan to sell it - it will have the same security issue with not working in a different car. Normally you can just ask the selling dealer (of your car) what your radio's "VIN Lock" code is. It's 4 numbers long.

·
Registered
148 Posts
NOTE: This info is accurate only for 2011-2014 Challengers:

If my notes are correct, 82212906 is the part number for the two harnesses you will need to go from the RES 130 radio (with factory bluetooth) to a 2011-2014 RHR radio. The dealer you get them from should be able to give you a print-out of the instructions - or you can view them here at https://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82212906.pdf.

I remember reading these instructions once a few years back. One of the harnesses has to be run up the driver side A pillar and over to the mirror - the other goes from one of the connectors you unplug from your existing bluetooth module to the USB jack that is inside your center console glove box. You'll also need to disconnect power from the existing bluetooth module. This harness kit basically removes your existing bluetooth system from the car wiring while connecting the microphone and USB jack directly to an RHR radio. The instructions cover all of this.

You mentioned a backup camera. For the 430, 430N and the 730N radios in a 2013 Challenger, you will very likely need a lock pick device that activates the rear camera function in the radio (unless you get the XAC sales code enabled as I write about in the next paragraph). This lock pick device is a module that you add in behind your radio. One of it's functions is to enable the backup camera function in the radio, and it provides the correct plugs for a camera.

If you want to try activating the rear camera function without using a lock pick module, take your car to the dealer and have their electrical guy hook the car up to their StarScan system - to enable the "XAC" sales code in your car. If you are successful in getting that setting to enable, you will see a new choice to enable or disable the backup camera in the radio's setup screen. When the XAC sales code is enabled and your radio's backup camera settings are turned on, the screen will automatically switch to rear camera view (even without a camera attached) when your car is in reverse. Without the camera connected, you'll see a back screen. If you are successful doing this and want to connect a camera directly to your radio - get back to me and I'll look up the wiring connections for it. I think I still have that info. From what I remember though, only some 2011's would allow that code to be activated while 2012's through 2014's would let the dealer set it but it would revert back to off right away or it just wouldn't work.

Good Luck with your project!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts