Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 base r/t challenger, can someone tell me what I else I need to upgrade my headlights to the OEM HID PROJECTOR HEADLAMPs, the people in the service department said theres Additional things needed to be added with the headlamps for the upgrade.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
The service department is correct, to add OEM HID lights and do it like they came from
the factory there is a lot more involved than just buying factory HID headlight capsules.

Use the search function, there was a step by step thread where someone documented
the whole process.

·
Registered
896 Posts
There isn't much involved actually. Get with "TheModifyer". He can build you a wiring harness to make this completely 100% working without issues.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
An alternate idea . . .

Or just leave the regular Halogen headlights in. Personally, I wouldn't want HID lights. There is the high cost for parts, then installation, and higher cost to replace "bulbs" or ballasts if they burn out.

My lights are more than bright enough for me. And if one of my Halogen bulbs go out, I go to Autozone (or similar) and buy a new one for a small amount of $.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Or just leave the regular Halogen headlights in. Personally, I wouldn't want HID lights. There is the high cost for parts, then installation, and higher cost to replace "bulbs" or ballasts if they burn out.

My lights are more than bright enough for me. And if one of my Halogen bulbs go out, I go to Autozone (or similar) and buy a new one for a small amount of $.
After driving two cars with Xenon Projectors I wouldn't go back to Halogen. When I drive my truck it's like the
damn lights aren't even on! :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
After driving two cars with Xenon Projectors I wouldn't go back to Halogen. When I drive my truck it's like the
damn lights aren't even on! :)
And this is why they say "different strokes for different folks".
HID's and Halogens definitely have their place in today's market, but I believe the future is LED's. Low cost and maintenance has been proven. Wider use by car manufactures will drive the price down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Unless you go through the proper process of changing them, which is a hassle and very time consuming, I would stay with your halogens. I have HIDs on mine and would never go back to halogen though. There's a reason it's a hefty upgrade price when you buy one new. If you get one of these cheap aftermarket kits, that TRY to recreate HIDs for a quarter of the cost, that's exactly how it will look, cheap. Not to mention you won't be getting an inspection in most states. Just my .02

·
Registered
504 Posts
Oem replacement HID bulb costs 205 bucks in Canada. Even with a discount buying an oem Phillips brand still cost 80 bucks. Something to consider when looking at parts.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea they are a little more costly. But then again hid bulbs last for 7000ish hours, where as halogen last for 2000ish

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would never go back to halogen. I am so used to my HIDs. Yea i know i dont have the projectors but they bright on the road and also add the fogs HIDs its like the sun is out at night lol

But i agree people like different things in life.

I do plan to either do a oem projector upgrade or a retro fit projectors. Either one it cost some money just not sure which one yet at the moment. But for now i have HIDs on my halogen type housings.
I got my kit inexpensive but the brand, I researched it and it cost double plus some of what I pay due to the fact someone was trying to just sell it was never used his loss my gain kind of thing. So it was an auction buy. And they work good. Light up the road great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's what they look like at night my phone has trouble sometimes to capture it. Lol.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1390392859.461563.jpg

·
Registered
504 Posts
One last thing to consider is that it is illegal in canada to install aftermarket HID lights. The only approved HID lights are installed from the factory, the dealer does not count.

I'm not sure where you are but you may want to also checkout your local or state laws on this. You don't want to pay good money to only get in trouble.

Todd

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
One last thing to consider is that it is illegal in canada to install aftermarket HID lights. The only approved HID lights are installed from the factory, the dealer does not count.

I'm not sure where you are but you may want to also checkout your local or state laws on this. You don't want to pay good money to only get in trouble.

Todd
True. Not to mention installing hids in halogen housings is obnoxious to oncoming drivers. The housings for hids and halogens are not at all the same, and causes the hids light to be way scattered. Said this before, but lots of states, including tx, will not pass your car for inspection if you have hid hulbs in a halogen housing. Projector halogen housing arent quite as bad as reflective housings...

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Todd
If you use all OEM components, the only way the authorities would know is if they ran the VIN# or looked at the
build sheet.

I do agree using aftermarket stuff is a no/no.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like i said i will be upgrading my headlights to either OEM or retrofit projectors. Yea whtevr i have HIDs on halogen headlight assemblys. I am in a state where we dont get inspections ha. I've had them for a year plus. I also align the headlights after putting the HIDs so it doesnt blind people. The only thing is that the fogs are more brighter then my headlights due to we have here a lot of fog almost every other day.

Different strokes for different folks. Idc its mine its what i wanted at the moment, this is why i dont like telling others my mods theres a lot of ppl hating always everywhere. Sorry is not to your liking but whtever.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 rt and just upgraded to the hid halo projector and it is like night and as far as visibility . Just go to a shop you trust and get the work done . Everything came with the kit I just need extra parts for halos working with parking lamps only.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts