Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to upgrading your valve train, how do you pick your springs and retainers, and all that? I know that it depends on your cam but can you upgrade too much, or is more better?

·
Registered
637 Posts
From the cams manufacturer you will select a spring with the proper pressures and, then from that spring you will select cups, retainers and keepers.

Its all a "set up".

As for overbuilding, sure you could spend 2k on a set of harland sharp rockers that you most likely dont need. You need to pick the right parts for what you plan to do with the motor. Dont skimp out but on the other hand dont buy the crown jewels for the hooker down the street.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
Another item would be titanium retainers vs. hardened steel...titanium are overkill for an engine in the stock rpm range of operation.

At 4x the price over the steel ones.

Chrome moly 4130 heat treated pushrods offer more strength over the OEM units.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
When it comes to upgrading your valve train, how do you pick your springs and retainers, and all that? I know that it depends on your cam but can you upgrade too much, or is more better?
Go with the cam manf. specifications. More isn't always better. Good way to ruin a cam is with too much spring force.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I agree the previous posts. Cam manufacture's recommendations is the best bet.

You also don't want a spring that is right at its maximum lift pressure when the cam is at its max lift. You can get valve train float if the lifter leaves the cam lobe. Its less likely with a roller cam, but I'm sure its possible. Another reason to use chrome molly push rods as well. You want everything to stay connected without any valve train components floating or leaving the contact areas (if that makes sense).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts