Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could help on the following.

I purchased a new 2016 SRT 392 Redline Challenger a couple of days ago. It had been sitting on the lot for almost a year and a half... I got it for a steal! Anyway, under the hood I have a paint defect. It’s not terrible but displeasing when I show someone the motor, etc they point it out every time. I took it to the dealer and they sent pictures to dodge and it got approved for a repair. That to the dealer is fixing it with touch up paint apparently... I was looking at some 17s they have on the lot and noticed that it had a black decal cover over the area that I have the defects on. I asked the service manager and he told me that that was a specific part to that car I was looking at and couldn’t be ordered... obviously he was talking out his a**. I know I could probably replicate the cover with a textured decal but I figured I would ask here first to see if any of you have had this issue before or if you could recommend a solution or were to get a cover like the one pictured. I attached pics of what I’m talking about. Any info is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk, and congratulations. Part #'s may be difficult, but your issue is, both are missing. My 2016, and I suspect all cars have them

004.jpg

Perhaps Luke @stevewhiteparts might know?

A Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man I shot him a PM. I don’t know why some of the Challengers have them and some don’t. I hope someone can help me get my hands on some because the dealers solution I feel is going to look just as bad as it already does. I’ll pay good money for anyone to send me there’s! ;) If anyone could get them off without damage that is...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
I suspect yours were removed, thus the paint issue. I think I find them listed under labels, but no part number. #3 on this exploded view perhaps?

LABELS for 2016 Dodge Challenger

I could be wrong, but I see no label there on mine.

A Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow great find man! Thank you! I couldn’t find anything even showing what I was looking for. This at least points me in a direction. I’ll call around and see if anyone knows If they can be ordered.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
I could be wrong. I do suspect all our cars come with them. Finding out what they are called, and an actual part# is another thing. Often parts come as an assembly, so you need to order a complete support for instance. Obviously there is a part# for each part, but it doesn't mean they sell them. A Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I got you hopefully I can track them down. I looked at the support but it comes in black I’m assuming to be painted body color. Possibly then they add the covers afterwards. Maybe they come with the support cover and I can get a dealer to sell them to me idk.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
If the dealer does a good job on the paint fix, then it may be a moot point?

A Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Possibly. But I’m not very confident in them after talking with the service manager. If I can’t locate them it will be my only option I suppose. Thank you again for you help.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
NP, ultimately, some masking, some sandpaper, some primer, and some spray paint will yield good results if necessary. Sand, add several coats of clear so you can sand smooth, some polishing compound, and Bobs your uncle ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
107 Posts
I googled images of 392 Challenger engines. Just about all of them the area in question is not covered. I bet they started adding because of paint issues.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
the T/A were the first to come with that tape on the radiator support, had same issue on my wife's, as well as the opening gutter, driver side deck lid area, both areas where repainted under warranty....
Luke V

ps would visit dealer and have them repair it under warranty

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
Interesting, mine has the labels both sides. I assumed it was normal. Wonder why some have it, and some don't?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Interesting, my 2016 has the tape. Also my support has base coat paint with clear coat..Yours looks like its only base coat. I had a 15 that was red but I can't remember if it had the tape or not nor if it had clear coat...

I wonder if is a little more finished with the shaker or TA package??? Mine is a shaker..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for all your responses. I’m not really sure why mine is like this. I have seen 15s & 16s without and with the covers in all models. I’m not sure why some have it and some don’t. My dealer will “touch it up” so that’s were I’m at with them...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dude let me know if it’s not to much trouble what they say. I’m calling around today to see if I can get a solid answer as well.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Mine has a little bubbling but not bad, 2016 SRT built Jan of 16.

Also watch if you repair and clear coat, none of the engine compartments are clear coated except Shaker, T/A and Hellcat.
Interesting, mine has the labels both sides. I assumed it was normal. Wonder why some have it, and some don't?

A Guy
Labels moves from the support to the bottom of the hood either late 15 or early 16, can't remember when.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts