Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally caved in. My buddy let me drive his 2009 RT on Saturday. Ever since then I felt literally heartbroken about driving my 2010 SE. Im looking at a 2009 RT Classic (Stone White). 27k miles...right at $29k fully loaded. Im gonna see if theyll keep the heritage wheels so I can ride home with my police steelies, but I need that power. I know the SE is a good car, and it is suitable for many Challenger lovers out there...but the yearning for more just resonates through my entire being. Im going to the dealership tomorrow...and despite going upside down...Im gonna see what happens. Im man enough to admit I screwed up for settling, and Id rather take the hit on a car I enjoy rather than spend 5 more years paying for a car I lost love for...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
just bustin...get what you want, life is short. You manned up, that's cool, don't sweat it. I was going to settle for an R/T, but then said to myself wait...there's one of these with a bigger motor and bigger brakes??? SOLD

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've been there! I was driving around in a Mazdaspeed 3 until I finally broke down and bought the Challenger. The mistake was getting behind the wheel of one that my friend owned.

I grew to resent my Mazda. I would get MAD at it every time I saw it thinking "WHY CAN'T YOU BE THE CHALLENGER I ALWAYS DREAMED OF!!?"

I spent countless nights prowling dealerships looking for SRT-8's to imagine myself in... I would walk up to them in hopes they left the door unlocked so I could breathe in the sweet sweet Brampton Assembly new-car-smell (I DID actually find an SRT8 unlocked once, I sat inside for a minute or so then got out, carefully locked it up for the dealership and closed her up)

I remember standing in the rain peering through the window asking myself "WHY NOT ME!???"

Then one day I finally woke up and said "yeah.... YEEEAH.... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!"

Marched into the dealership and refused to leave without some sweet sweet Hemi Orange magic to park in my garage!

BEST... DAY... EVER! :browsmiley: :bigthumb:

As a side note, I took a negative equity hit trading my Mazda that was shackled to my ankle. So at the end of the day I have about $8000 extra financed into my loan but I get to drive the car of my dreams!

Luckily I got the SRT8 at such a discounted price, that in the end it was like I walked in and paid MSRP. Not the BEST case scenario, but I was prepared to accept it.

Life IS short... a friend of mine who was 25 years old passed away a few weeks before I made up my mind and it kind of pushed me in that direction of "who knows how much time we have left, maybe I won't live to see the day when I can walk in and pay cash for a Challenger"

You do what you have to do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amen to all of that. I really felt at home with the RT. It was what I originally intended to get, and I settled because I just wanted a Challenger so damn bad. It looks like Ill learn two lessons here...but life is short...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theres just no easy way around it...people can talk about "engine swaps" or "turbo V6s", but deep down inside there is that sinking feeling. The feeling that you royally screwed up...and I would rather rectify that than finish out my SE. Theres nothing like a V8...this is coming from a cop who drives one every day...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edmonds seemed pretty spot on with that price...Ill see if I can do some talking, though

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Ever since the Challenger came out I've wanted one... I had things going on in my life that prevented me from owning one (like already owning a pair of Hemi Vehicles) but once I made some changes in my life and got rid of a lot of debt (think... Boat...) and got a big promotion I figured.. "You know what? I deserve this... I've worked for it.."

And there was nothing more sweet than the 153 mile trip home to get acquainted with my new sweet heart!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
always something faster.
hope you don't take too big a hit on the trade.
And don't go out and try a 392 after you have an R/T LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
always something faster.
hope you don't take too big a hit on the trade.
And don't go out and try a 392 after you have an R/T LOL
Well said Ray - there will always be a bigger toy...took me the drive from storage to home to realize I have it really good with only an R/T...friggin' winter was the cause for alot of "why didn't I buy an SRT?" anguish. An SRT would have been nice BUT $8k more and more debt...lesson learned: get busier in winter!! ha ha

TenguJOSH - you did what you thought was right at the time, just like you are going to do now - give the deal the "24 hour soak time" and if it still makes sense GO FOR IT!! Zeb

·
Registered
153 Posts
Like someone just said - way overpriced.

I'd go for a new 2010, you can probably swing it for just over $30 K.

Anyway best of luck!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been there! I was driving around in a Mazdaspeed 3 until I finally broke down and bought the Challenger. The mistake was getting behind the wheel of one that my friend owned.

I grew to resent my Mazda. I would get MAD at it every time I saw it thinking "WHY CAN'T YOU BE THE CHALLENGER I ALWAYS DREAMED OF!!?"

I spent countless nights prowling dealerships looking for SRT-8's to imagine myself in... I would walk up to them in hopes they left the door unlocked so I could breathe in the sweet sweet Brampton Assembly new-car-smell (I DID actually find an SRT8 unlocked once, I sat inside for a minute or so then got out, carefully locked it up for the dealership and closed her up)

I remember standing in the rain peering through the window asking myself "WHY NOT ME!???"

Then one day I finally woke up and said "yeah.... YEEEAH.... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!"

Marched into the dealership and refused to leave without some sweet sweet Hemi Orange magic to park in my garage!

BEST... DAY... EVER! :browsmiley: :bigthumb:

As a side note, I took a negative equity hit trading my Mazda that was shackled to my ankle. So at the end of the day I have about $8000 extra financed into my loan but I get to drive the car of my dreams!

Luckily I got the SRT8 at such a discounted price, that in the end it was like I walked in and paid MSRP. Not the BEST case scenario, but I was prepared to accept it.

Life IS short... a friend of mine who was 25 years old passed away a few weeks before I made up my mind and it kind of pushed me in that direction of "who knows how much time we have left, maybe I won't live to see the day when I can walk in and pay cash for a Challenger"

You do what you have to do.
Great post. Thanks for the story.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Also, to the OP, that sounds high to me too. You can get a new 2010 SRT for under 35k now. Look on cars.com outside your immediate area if you're not seeing it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I knew I would never have been happy with a bone stock SE. Got what I wanted (R/T) based on two factors: cost, and the (from my POV) lack of a big jump to the SRT to justify the added expense. Had I known my situation now (3d deployment) and the new 392, who knows what I would've done. The R/T has been fun. Not sure what I will do when I return. May do nothing, except for wheels, tires, brakes, shifter, and suspension. May trade for a 2011 or 2012 SRT. May look at a serious upgrade to the 09 (Petty-Arrington).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well hey...I see these guys every day. I look around when Im bored. Im a cop in that town, and that dealership is actually in my area. Im pretty certain that I can at least get it knocked down a couple grand. The guy bitched on the phone about how he's come close to getting rid of it but noone will bite. Im a good talker, and Ill see what I can do, lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good thing is that I drove a guys SRT Charger. While the power is noticable, its nothing a few bolt ons cant fix on the RT. Its not like having an SE and daydreaming of 300+ hp, lol. The RT is a great platform to start from...whether it be bolt ons, engine rebuilds, or forced induction. Im not exactly a race car driver, but I would like to be able to light the tires up every once in a while, ya know? I felt right at home driving my friends RT, and when the ride was over it took a piece of my heart (maybe a ball or two >.>). Either way Ive done my own math, and going upside down with what I got and what Im getting isnt as bad as I imagined. But Ill wait til I see the numbers on paper...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
However...I am in love with my police steel wheels. Im gonna see if they can keep the heritage wheels, because those black steelies will look beast on a stone white Challenger. I also took off my Hulst Customs crossbar grill...gonna paint it matte black. Ill throw my GTS shades on the tail light until I get it sprayed. I have a vision of my new RT (today hopefully)...It looks grand as hell...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts