Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I am badly in need of your urgent help and I'm about to loose myself as I had spend so much time and money.

I am about to swap my 2.65 differential to 3.06 differential.

I'm about to get all needed components
68085306AA - Diff 3.06

68080384AA​
- Right Axle

68080383AA​
- Left Axle

4779572AB​
- Hub Bearings

6509315AA - Mount Bolt

however we are prefitting with a used borrowed one, my mechanic advised me that the guibo doesnt fit? I guess this is the coupler?

anyone with the same experience? should I change the whole driveshaft? or I can just opt to get a new coupler?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Josh,

I bought the coupler to check the fitting (68090505AA)

The coupler fits the differential but did not fit the bolt pattern on the driveshaft. which means driveshaft needed to be replaced as well?

What else is missing here? this is all for Dodge Challenger 2013 SXT based model

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes that is correct. The reason being, is that the differential you bought is a getrag according to the part number. Which requires the correct coupler. The one Josh provided is correct, however the bolt holes on the V6 driveshaft are different then a V8 driveshaft. Luckily you actually only need the rear section of the driveshaft but it's hard to find just that piece, so you probably need to buy an entire driveshaft. I do not know if the auto and manuals have different lengths but I made sure to get one from a automatic R/T.

Not sure if you seen my thread I created a few months back:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/required-parts-getrag-swap-2011-2014-sxt-606697/

I layed out each component needed for a complete Getrag swap.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi BigDirt!!! dinally you noticed me. yes i definitely saw your post. but I am just really hesitant bcuz you used a getrag 3.91

so I can use the rear driveshaft only and would not have any fitment issue with my stock front driveshaft ?

just to clarify
I'm searching the part# you mentioned on the article you made for driveshaft and when I'm searching they they are appearing for model 15-17. can you help me verify this part number?

Driveshaft:
$791.78(NEW) - 53010735AE - 2011-2014 SRT Driveshaft
$779.98(NEW) - 52123975AF - 2011-2014 RT Driveshaft

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I'm not sure why folks are spending so much money on gears for the 2011-14 model years on the v6. This is uncalled for in my opinion, there is not enough power in the v6 to even come close to warrant a heavy duty posi rear end ( getrag) and I think it's just plain nuts to spend this much money.

You can do 350 dollars or less for the whole job to get better gears if you do the work yourself, example- 2.65 gears to 3.64 gears, I know some will say they want both tires to turn, mine always turned both tires using the 3.64 and 3.90 pumpkins from older year cars that was considered peg legs, I have/had one of the quickest 3.6 challengers on this board running 12.50's ( 12.80 with "proof" on paper) and I was cutting 1.78 60ft times and 4.0 0-60 mph and had posi all the time, every time thanks to the computer.

Why go and spend thousands of dollars for a set up that is not needed, your not breaking a 198mm rear end even with a supercharged v6, the torque output of the engine is barely what is being put out in a 5.7 naturally aspirated, meaning the hottest v6 set up, you don't even match the torque of the smallest hemi. I don't get it.

On top of that going from a 2.65 gear ratio to a 3.64 gear ratio only netted me .25 seconds in the 1/4 mile with no other changes, so how does spending say 2k or more justify that. On top of that the heavy duty getrag will eat more power and now you will net even less performance over the smaller units. Best off swapping an older 198 rear end in for a few hundred bucks.

I thought I would post this maybe for the folks who look at this thread and think there is no other alternative to a better gear with out going thru all the expense and hassle.

Some have deeper pockets which is fine but most don't and for a few hundred bucks one can have more gear and more power to the ground than the guy who just spent a boat load of money just to say they have a getrag that cost thousandsl and use more power to operate to go slower.

just all my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input denis, as much as I don’t want to. I needed to change my 2.65 gears due to knocking problem.

dealership in my country is charging me not lessthan 10k usd for a replacement. (UAE)

I’m not into making it into something “fast” i get the point its a v6

I have no choice of used parts on where I lived. so my best option is the 3.06 package which I saw on stevewhite worth 2k everything in and brand new and needed to spend a lil more for additional parts.

i didnt even know what a getrag is.. I’m here to know since I’m new on this and I have very limited sources.

I can’t opt out on used parts abroad. I will never know what would I get and the hassle of having problems. so I guess choosing to spend 3-4k usd over 10k+ usd (w/o) labor is better.

all above is just fyi, to make clear what im up to ?

hopefully I can get a clearer asnwer on the driveshaft thing. its my only missing piece ?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
So what are you saying you couldn't order a used stock 2.65 pumpkin from the USA for 100 bucks off ebay and have it shipped where you live for a direct replacement? something is fishy if this can't be done. this would have been the cheapest route. Not trying to bust your balls but if you can order from stevewhite surely you could have ordered a stock unit for $100 dollars and just swapped it in. I hate seeing people taken for a ride. there was other options then 10 k or 3-4 k, 100 bucks plus shipping surely someone would have sold you one and sent it.

It's amazing what goes on where. I'm just flabbergasted with your details. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I just went to the UPS website threw in some shipping weights and packaging to ship to Dubai, figuring your on AED currency also known as DH or Dhs since I don't know exactly where you live I could have picked another country that uses Dhs. About 700 USD to ship from the middle of the USA and 100 USD to buy a used pumpkin, direct fit with no other parts needed. I was just curious about shipping parts to that part of the world and looked real quick. I have gotten parts from around the world and shipped a few outside the US just never to United Arab Emirates. So shipping looks to be pretty expensive with heavy car parts, eats up a lot of the money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi BigDirt!!! dinally you noticed me. yes i definitely saw your post. but I am just really hesitant bcuz you used a getrag 3.91

so I can use the rear driveshaft only and would not have any fitment issue with my stock front driveshaft ?

just to clarify
I'm searching the part# you mentioned on the article you made for driveshaft and when I'm searching they they are appearing for model 15-17. can you help me verify this part number?

Driveshaft:
$791.78(NEW) - 53010735AE - 2011-2014 SRT Driveshaft
$779.98(NEW) - 52123975AF - 2011-2014 RT Driveshaft

Thank you very much!
Getrags for the challenger all use the same bolt configuration for the driveshaft coupler as well as using the same half-shafts, so the gearing inside does not really matter. I actually used the 3.73 but provided part numbers and prices for the parts from a dealer for convenience. Personally I bought all my parts used except for the bolts and seals for the unit.

When searching for 53010735AE it does seem to bring up a driveshaft for the newer challengers with a new part number of 53010735AF, it looks like the new part supersedes the old, so it should work but I could be wrong. 52123975AF however still shows the same year range as before.

If you are dead set on buying new, then 52123975AF should work. It may also be possible to use the entire driveshaft, but I don't know for sure if that would work. I used the front half of my stock driveshaft and the rear half of an R/T driveshaft and all is fine. I would suggest looking at ebay, there are quite a few parts listed on there as mentioned. Do you have a junk/salvage yard near by? Could possibly find parts there.

ddeennis, I definitely agree with you that buying a new differential is a waste of money. I bought my 3.73 unit for $300 on ebay and got the half shafts from some salvage yards. I spent more doing it this way than you did but still didn't even come close to what people are charging for new online.

A getrag may not be needed for most situations but I intend to need it in the future, when my funds permit bigger mods. As far as it being slower, not even close. The car definitely has actual get up and go compared to the stock 2.65.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I was only referring to the getrag being a bigger unit compared to the smaller 198mm, the getrag will use just a tad more power to operate compared to a 198mm- hence slower. the little v6 can use all the help it can get using light weight components to preserve what power it does have. Using large heavy components sap power. Large tires, heavy wheels, heavy axles, heavy getrag......all this adds up in sapping power, when you have the option to go with a lighter weight component, go lighter to keep what you got or gain just a little more power to the ground. That's all I was pointing out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean. It would be interesting to see a dyno comparison between the v6 differentials and a getrag unit. I would think were looking at minuscule amounts of power loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@BigDirt

Thanks will check em out

@denis
i’m trying to avoid problem with used parts abroad, i’ve been through it and its not easy to claim back and forth and would cost me as well shipping items back if you know what i mean. specially when I'm covering the shipping back to them plus the waiting time.

my stock diff on stevewhite parts oem is 4.6k usd based on my VIN and thats what he sent me as well.

this is why i chose to do it this way, a whole package.

as much as i wanted to buy on ebay, but.. i dont for now as i said above i dont wanna risk the hassle. probably if I can think of a better set up next time.

junk yards here are full of bullshit, is all i can say. i dont have big connections to trust to yet and im still trying to build up. and unlike US which have a lot of sources in terms of this specific model.

but anyway if im in US, i would definitely do what you had said above. who would like to spend that much if I have accessible sources and Im very jelous actually on where you guys at.

cheers man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts