Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been using a USB drive for music in my 2022 Challenger. As a quick test, I loaded up a 64gb drive with a couple of songs to test it out, and everything went fine. I then tried a 256gb drive and started getting device errors/reconnect device, which I did but with no success. This occurred in both the USB 1 and 2 slots. The drives were formatted with exFAT.

• Is there a capacity limit?
  • Is there a known issue?
  • Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, were you able to find a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

· Registered
2,751 Posts
I have in the back of my mind that 128s may also be too large.

Reactions: The Rotagilla

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,735 Posts
The Problem is most Units that play MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV figure if your going to need more then 64 Gig of Storage
then your going to use a device that connects to the Internet.

Now give you a few numbers
On average 64gb USB Drive can store approx 5,749 Songs in 320kbps in Mp3, FLAC 192khz 24 Bit 336 Songs, Wav same 192khz 24 Bit 199 Songs
I'm pretty sure that is more then Enough tunes if not buy a nice multi pack of drives on Amazon, Sandisk best brand and make you up some
different thumb drives like I do and have a small case to keep them in and label so your all set.

I got a 80's Misc Tunes, Metal Tunes, Classic Rock, 70's, and AOR Albums, and Cruising Tunes etc.

· Registered
529 Posts
I have a 64gig thumb drive in my car with 5.3k songs on it. I transferred all of my CD's and a couple gigs of other music I had collected onto the stick. I want to say that 64gb is the largest that the car will handle, or else I would have bought a larger thumb drive. The other issue I ran into was format compatibility, I think exFAT is the right one. I just remember that the first thumb drive I tried didn't work, and I didn't feel like spending the morning reformatting it and reloading all that data when the 2nd thumb drive I tried worked.

· Premium Member
3,854 Posts
As surprising as it may seem, there are definitely limits on the size of the thumb drive you use according to the year of your car. With my 2016, I think it's either 16, or 32 Gig as the maximum.

· Registered
2,751 Posts
The other issue I ran into was format compatibility, I think exFAT is the right one.
That sounds right to me. I set mine up ~3 years ago and I've slept since then. :p

· Registered
149 Posts
I am running a 4GB in my 2015 R/T with the base radio and a 64GB in my 2017 Ram with the 8.4. I did have problems with another 4Gb drive that I was running in the Challenger so the specific drive may be a problem rather than the capacity. The problem drive was an older Lexar and would not play reliably in either vehicle.

· Registered
209 Posts
So, before I go to the trouble of doing this:

1. How can I assure the dash display will show Band Name, Album, Title?
2. I have at least 2 usb ports. Can I plug a thumb drive into each one?
I'm going to assume you're using a PC for formatting the USB.

1. In Windows file explorer right click on the file in question then click on Properties. Then click on Details. Fill in the appropriate fields and click OK
2. I don't see any reason why you can't use both USB ports.

Rectangle Font Technology Slope Screenshot
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,735 Posts
I'm going to assume you're using a PC for formatting the USB.

1. In Windows file explorer right click on the file in question then click on Properties. Then click on Details. Fill in the appropriate fields and click OK
2. I don't see any reason why you can't use both USB ports.

View attachment 1071924 View attachment 1071927 View attachment 1071928
The Problem is the Stereo can not see as much as the PC its in its design Not Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux.
Its the Devices limitation for playback. Also I believe only one port reads usb the other is a Charge Port.

· Registered
209 Posts
The Problem is the Stereo can not see as much as the PC its in its design Not Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux.
Its the Devices limitation for playback. Also I believe only one port reads usb the other is a Charge Port.
You're right it wont show all of the data on the screen but the basic info of song and album title and artist should appear. At least on my 2017. I'll have to try and swap my drive to the other port to see if it reads.

· Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
13,206 Posts
I have a 64gig thumb drive in my car with 5.3k songs on it. I transferred all of my CD's and a couple gigs of other music I had collected onto the stick. I want to say that 64gb is the largest that the car will handle, or else I would have bought a larger thumb drive. The other issue I ran into was format compatibility, I think exFAT is the right one. I just remember that the first thumb drive I tried didn't work, and I didn't feel like spending the morning reformatting it and reloading all that data when the 2nd thumb drive I tried worked.
FAT32 is likely the most universally compliant (can be recognized by more uConnect versions and older model year cars), but if the system will recognize and read files from an exFAT formatted drive, that's probably the better format to choose.

FAT32 has a couple limitations with regards to file size and partition size that exFAT does not have, so if trying to decide on how to format a new drive for one's car,. I'd say try exFAT first and see if it works. If not, the drive can always be reformatted in FAT32 to be used for the music library source (just no files larger than 4GB, and there's a maximum partition size too, but cannot remember it off the top of my head).

· Registered
2022 R/T Scat Pack, A8, Octane Red
162 Posts
I've used a 128gb flash drive in both my 2018 and my 2022 with no issues (8.4 W/Nav). Plain old right-click format (NTFS by default) of the drive in Windows 10/11, then copy songs over.

· Registered
209 Posts

You're right it wont show all of the data on the screen but the basic info of song and album title and artist should appear. At least on my 2017. I'll have to try and swap my drive to the other port to see if it reads.
Well I checked mine tonight. It will read from either USB port in the console. Just select the correct port being used on the media screen.

· Registered
65 Posts
I've used a 128gb flash drive in both my 2018 and my 2022 with no issues (8.4 W/Nav). Plain old right-click format (NTFS by default) of the drive in Windows 10/11, then copy songs over.
Are you saying the newer units can handle NTFS? It's about time! Any permutation of FAT on large disks is so stupid.

I've been in the computer business since 1979. I am stunned that FAT is still so much of a staple in storage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 R/T Scat Pack, A8, Octane Red
162 Posts
Are you saying the newer units can handle NTFS? It's about time! Any permutation of FAT on large disks is so stupid.

I've been in the computer business since 1979. I am stunned that FAT is still so much of a staple in storage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
(y)

Font Rectangle Screenshot Electronic device Parallel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts