Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'd like to be able to plug in a USB Memory stick to the USB port located in the center console, when I do this, the system tells me it doesn't detect a usb memory stick.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of uconnect compatible devices?

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Dodge got the requirements. In case anyone needs it, here they are:

1. Any USB stick under 32 GB will work.
2. Files must be in .mp3 format.
3. There must be at least one .jpg file on the stick. The tech couldn't explain why.
4. The USB stick must be in FAT32 file format. All USB sticks come this way by default.

Hope this helps whoever might need it.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
153 Posts
2. Files must be in .mp3 format.
3. There must be at least one .jpg file on the stick. The tech couldn't explain why.
4. The USB stick must be in FAT32 file format. All USB sticks come this way by default.
:info-smilie: You, sir, are a GENIUS! I'd been trying for days to transfer .jpgs to my Uconnect, with the same problem you'd been experiencing. Based on #3 in your post above, I guessed maybe to do so I would need at least one .mp3 file on the stick as well. Just tried it, and it worked!

So we should make a sticky of this somewhere, and change #2 and 3 on the list to read:

2. Files must be in .mp3 or .jpg format.
3. There must be at least one .jpg AND one .mp3 file on the stick. Don't ask why, just do it.

:alfdance:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you need the .mp3s anyway to listen to the music.

When I loaded the .mp3 files I actually forgot to load the jpeg and it still worked. Go figure. It's pretty cool. I can search by artist, album, genre, etc. pretty cool.

Glad this helped. :)

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Well you need the .mp3s anyway to listen to the music.

When I loaded the .mp3 files I actually forgot to load the jpeg and it still worked. Go figure. It's pretty cool. I can search by artist, album, genre, etc. pretty cool.

Glad this helped. :)

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
+1 Been using a FAT32 formatted Sandisk Cruzer 2Gb drive that has only .mp3 files on it and it works equally well from the head unit USB jack and the centre console USB. I just checked the drive thinking that maybe there was some album art .jpg files on it that I might not be aware of but there are none - just .mp3 files :icon_confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Funnily enough, it is the opposite way around if you just want to add picture files, not music. I wanted to put a picture of my wife on the hard disc, for viewing while playing back the radio. But the Uconnect did NOT recognize any of my USB sticks when they only had .jpg files on them. I tried four different USB sticks, and many different .jpgs in various resolutions, with no success.

Then after I saw this thread I got the bright idea to put an .mp3 file on the USB stick. I downloaded a free song from somewhere, put the .mp3 on the USB with all the picture files, went straight back to the car, and PRESTO, the Uconnect recognized my USB stick, pictures and all.

Weird, right? :domotwak:

·
Registered
362 Posts
well there's some wrong information that was given out by the Customer care line.
Actually here's whats needed.
1) If you want to upload any pictures to the HD, then you need to have at least 1 MP3 on the flash drive.
2) Pictures can only be uploaded by using the radio USB connector and not the Uconnect USB.
3) Podcast can not be played if that the flash drive doesn't have at least 1 MP3 file on it.
4) The USB connector can play MP3, MP4, WMA, WAV, AAC files from either USB connector.
5) The Uconnect USB will not read JPG files at all. Only the radio USB will.
6) The "Uconnect" is a separate system in the Mitsubishi radios and built into the Harman radios. If you have the HArman radios, then pictures can be uploaded to the HD using the console mounted USB but not if you have the Mitsubishi radios.
7) The flash drives do need to be formatted to FAT32. This is the only file that can be read by the radio or Uconnect.

Funnily enough, it is the opposite way around if you just want to add picture files, not music. I wanted to put a picture of my wife on the hard disc, for viewing while playing back the radio. But the Uconnect did NOT recognize any of my USB sticks when they only had .jpg files on them. I tried four different USB sticks, and many different .jpgs in various resolutions, with no success.

Then after I saw this thread I got the bright idea to put an .mp3 file on the USB stick. I downloaded a free song from somewhere, put the .mp3 on the USB with all the picture files, went straight back to the car, and PRESTO, the Uconnect recognized my USB stick, pictures and all.

Weird, right? :domotwak:

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 Been using a FAT32 formatted Sandisk Cruzer 2Gb drive that has only .mp3 files on it and it works equally well from the head unit USB jack and the centre console USB. I just checked the drive thinking that maybe there was some album art .jpg files on it that I might not be aware of but there are none - just .mp3 files :icon_confused:
Same here. It was a used stick and I did have to format it before it would work however. I did delete all the old files and copied mp3's to the stick, but it wouldn't recognize it until I formatted the stick and copied the music to it after formatting. It was fat32 before and after I formatted it. I'm not sure why it wouldn't read the stick prior to formatting, but just wanted to share in case any one else comes across that issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
correction to this thread. 64 GB memory stick(PNY) works with no delay radio-usb to play mp3 files

·
Registered
414 Posts
My radio used to play the songs from my USB drive randomly. One day I wanted to hear just an artist and now I can't default to random. Any ideas? I've removed the USB drive for days and that did nothing. Even if I hit the RDM button, nothing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Which radio do you have? Are you selecting "RDM" on the radio itself? If so then try pressing and releasing the Uconnect voice button and say "shuffle, on". Uconnect will reply with "shuffle music is on". Did this work for you?

My radio used to play the songs from my USB drive randomly. One day I wanted to hear just an artist and now I can't default to random. Any ideas? I've removed the USB drive for days and that did nothing. Even if I hit the RDM button, nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I just plugged a usb in and it worked fine. I've downloaded 1,997 songs into my 730 u connect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
does all this apply to a SD Card?

while I am waiting for my 2015 set 392
i was going to put my music on a sd card

·
Registered
230 Posts
does all this apply to a SD Card?

while I am waiting for my 2015 set 392
i was going to put my music on a sd card
I have a 32 GB SDHC card in mine. It's formatted FAT32 loaded with AAC files. I use 320 KB variable and I cannot tell the difference from wav. Memory is cheap and I am not going to debate the anything over 128 KB is a waste.

I also have a 750 GB WD My passport hard drive plugged into the USB. It's formatted NTFS and loaded with just under 10,000 songs, which is over 80 GB of music. The only thing I noticed is that it takes a couple minutes after starting the car before it will play from the hard drive. There are hundreds of different artists in folders which probably slows it down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks,

so i do not have to convert all my iTunes files from aac to mp3 to play in car?

that would save me a lot of time

·
Registered
230 Posts
so i do not have to convert all my iTunes files from aac to mp3 to play in car?
Both work fine. As far as I know the only lossless format the new stereos read is wav. The downside of wav is that it will only display the title. Album and artist are always unknown.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have my itunes downloaded to a thumb drive and it takes forever for the radio to connect. I didn't want to leave my ipod in the car for fear of it being stolen. I only have the base 130 system and I think the voice recognition sucks. Now I pretty much use Cd's and my ipod. They still have a way to go in perfecting the radio systems.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OK....I've got a 2014 RT Shaker with the 730 system. My son downloaded an album (Black Sabbath - Sabbatoge....by the way) to his IPHONE 5...Now, tell me..in laymen's terms...HTF do I get this loaded on my hard drive....thanks in advance...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts