Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 09 SRT8 and of course we have the 12 connector plug in our console that connects to iPhones / iPods. Anyone know if you can buy a usb version of the 12 plug. that way you could plug in other mp3 devices e.g. androids or even plug in your I phone's standard cable to that cable to extend the reach? I've been in cars were the USB is the standard port for syncing but i get the feeling that's a little newer technology than available to the 09's

Also curious what the limitations are on upgrading the nav systems (in terms of if after a certain year you can no longer interchange the systems)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hear crickets.....

I am trying to figure out how to connect my iPhone 5 with a USB. I own a Mopar specialty cable that plugs into the back of the radio which uses an old iPhone plug on it, but it doesn't connect to my newer iphone and it is difficult to use since its wired into my glovebox.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
There should be a standard USB port on the front if its a REN you have to flip back the cover to access it, don't know of anyone making converters for new iPhones which now use a mini USB? Sorry, not real tech savvy so if that is not what you are asking (where regular USB port is).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, are you saying ithe input for your NAV is not USB compatible? I'm really surprised they'd have designed a product that could only be serviced by one platform. Who approved that?

I use the cable that I charge my iPhone 5 with in my 2012. (Just remove the cable from the plug part. It reveals a standard USB connection that I plug directly into the NAV console (switch on bottom right flips up to reveal the port, and there's a second port in the front wall of the well between the front seats). They are all standard USB ports and do not descriminate between android, apple or windows products. Just be sure your NAV is set to the correct input and all should hum.

But if it isn't USB, then a trip to Radio Shack or any descent computer store should hook you up quickly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The old style 12 pin connector was used when Apple still used the Firewire system. In 2010 Apple went to supporting the USB profile and is when Uconnect changed their system to support USB connections also. There isn't a connector to go from the Firewire to USB, it's 2 totally different communication types.
Chrysler radios with the USB on the faceplate don't have the chip needed to play Apples media files, the Uconnect module does have it though. The radio mounted USB connector is used for charging phones, playing audio from a thumb drive and downloading pictures & audio files to the HD. No, the USB does not discriminate between devices but the device that the USB connection is made to has to have certain chips & SW in order to play various files. Such as the USB connector in your 2012 vehicle can play older phones (other than Apple devices) stored media files but as of 2012 the phones have gone from supporting the ability to be used as a "Mass storage device" which is the same as a thumb drive to supporting MDP files which are not supported by the Uconnect system. So you can't play newer phones media files in a cabled connection. Only by streaming thru BT.
The pre 2011 vehicles Uconnect system does not support the USB communication signal so the only way to get the similar connection as in your 2012 vehicle is to change out the Uconnect module to a newer part (such as 05091959AA) and add the optional USB / Ipod cable (82212160). It would be a simple unplugging, removing the old module, mounting the new module, plug it in and run the USB cable to the glovebox or center console (which ever you decide on).

Hope this info helps you out.

Sorry, are you saying ithe input for your NAV is not USB compatible? I'm really surprised they'd have designed a product that could only be serviced by one platform. Who approved that?

I use the cable that I charge my iPhone 5 with in my 2012. (Just remove the cable from the plug part. It reveals a standard USB connection that I plug directly into the NAV console (switch on bottom right flips up to reveal the port, and there's a second port in the front wall of the well between the front seats). They are all standard USB ports and do not descriminate between android, apple or windows products. Just be sure your NAV is set to the correct input and all should hum.

But if it isn't USB, then a trip to Radio Shack or any descent computer store should hook you up quickly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
FireWire, ouch. Stil, USB was around then for over a decade, odd choice by UConnect.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So I have a 09 SRT8 and of course we have the 12 connector plug in our console that connects to iPhones / iPods. Anyone know if you can buy a usb version of the 12 plug. that way you could plug in other mp3 devices e.g. androids or even plug in your I phone's standard cable to that cable to extend the reach? I've been in cars were the USB is the standard port for syncing but i get the feeling that's a little newer technology than available to the 09's

Also curious what the limitations are on upgrading the nav systems (in terms of if after a certain year you can no longer interchange the systems)
That may or may not work, although, If you have Apple devices the main thing to look for when shopping for cables to use with the console plugin is it must be audio capable, most aren't, and the same for the high dollar apple "dock cables" some don't really work for out going audio...try one with a separate audio jack coming out of the 30 pin connector if your system keeps cutting off due to incompatibility (not supported) :browsmiley:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car is a 2009 so the USB on the front of the radio is only for flash drive use, it does not play my ipod. My R/T does not have a USB plug in the center console either, it has the large square plug which requires you to use the specialty short Mopar plug which has the older Iphone 4 style plug.

xsdbs - You said that "The pre 2011 vehicles Uconnect system does not support the USB communication signal so the only way to get the similar connection as in your 2012 vehicle is to change out the Uconnect module to a newer part (such as 05091959AA) and add the optional USB / Ipod cable (82212160)." If I upgraded my 2009 UConnect module to a 2011 or later would I be able to stream music via the bluetooth? If the Uconnect has a USB plug, I wonder if I could add a USB plug in my car from a 2011+ challenger? If so, I am going junk yard shopping for a 2012 or later Challenger with UConnect.

I currently have the Mopar iphone 4 cable in my glovebox with an older ipod but when I want to connect my iphone 5 to the radio, I have to use the apple converter cable. This can be challenging to do while driving stick and not crash. It would be nice to add a USB plug or use bluetooth streaming for the music instead.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yes you are correct that "USB" has been around for years.
"odd choice by Uconnect", not really. I think that the part that is missing here is that the supplier of the Uconnect module was contracted by Chrysler to support Apple devices and up till 2011, Apple was using the Firewire set up. Once Apple starting using USB then Uconnect followed suit and upgraded the hardware for the USB connection.

FireWire, ouch. Stil, USB was around then for over a decade, odd choice by UConnect.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 2009 radio (if it's the 430N) does not support Bluetooth streaming audio itself so by changing the parts that I mentioned out will not give you BTSA even though the module supports it. If I remember correctly, it could play but there was something about some features that didn't work correctly. The radio was the limitation there. However, actually I prefer the use of the USB connection over BTSA. The reason why is because you have full control of the Ipod / IPhone thru the radio as well as charging while you're using the device. Also you have the use of VR commands for more than just next & previous tracks. In BTSA mode the VR commands are minimal because that's all the phone accepts and supports. So there are advantages to the connection mode vs BTSA.
You won't be able to just add the factory USB cable to your system because the pre 2011 Uconnect module didn't have the hardware or input port for USB.

My car is a 2009 so the USB on the front of the radio is only for flash drive use, it does not play my ipod. My R/T does not have a USB plug in the center console either, it has the large square plug which requires you to use the specialty short Mopar plug which has the older Iphone 4 style plug.

xsdbs - You said that "The pre 2011 vehicles Uconnect system does not support the USB communication signal so the only way to get the similar connection as in your 2012 vehicle is to change out the Uconnect module to a newer part (such as 05091959AA) and add the optional USB / Ipod cable (82212160)." If I upgraded my 2009 UConnect module to a 2011 or later would I be able to stream music via the bluetooth? If the Uconnect has a USB plug, I wonder if I could add a USB plug in my car from a 2011+ challenger? If so, I am going junk yard shopping for a 2012 or later Challenger with UConnect.

I currently have the Mopar iphone 4 cable in my glovebox with an older ipod but when I want to connect my iphone 5 to the radio, I have to use the apple converter cable. This can be challenging to do while driving stick and not crash. It would be nice to add a USB plug or use bluetooth streaming for the music instead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
xsdbs - I have the navigation head unit, RER. Can I update the Uconnect to a 2011+ specs?

I agree with you on the preference of having a constant USB connection. I have an Ipod that I leave in my call all the time that is hard wired, but it would be nice to be able to stream bluetooth from my phone when necessary.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The RER doesn't support BTSA, only cabled connection. The RHR does support BTSA and would be a direct swap if you can find a used one. Make sure that it's a Low Speed CAN BUS radio though because your vehicle has the Low Speed CAN Network and a High Speed CAN radio won't work.

xsdbs - I have the navigation head unit, RER. Can I update the Uconnect to a 2011+ specs?

I agree with you on the preference of having a constant USB connection. I have an Ipod that I leave in my call all the time that is hard wired, but it would be nice to be able to stream bluetooth from my phone when necessary.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:brickwall:Sonofa.... I have a gen3 ipod touch that I've been using in my '09 RT Classic via the 20 pin cable (or whatever it is that came with the car). I think the NAV system was the only option I didn't get on the car. I just got a new iPod touch that won't work with that cable, so if I wanted to use it in my car I need to swap out the radio to a newer version?

·
Registered
362 Posts
let me look into this for you. For some reason, I believe that Chrysler has 2 different cables for that year vehicle.

:brickwall:Sonofa.... I have a gen3 ipod touch that I've been using in my '09 RT Classic via the 20 pin cable (or whatever it is that came with the car). I think the NAV system was the only option I didn't get on the car. I just got a new iPod touch that won't work with that cable, so if I wanted to use it in my car I need to swap out the radio to a newer version?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am following this thread and thank you for posting it. I have the same cable in my SRT 2009 however it will charge but not connect to the Uconnect. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
thanks...I'd just like to be be able to have a USB type port so I wouldn't have to worry about the different sizes. I don't think I can swing a fancy new radio right now (although my wife has one in her Focus that I must admit is pretty damn cool).
Although now that I think about it, even if I was able to get a USB port I'd want to still be able to control it using the controls on my steering wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my 2009 R/T with navigation, I have two different options for hooking up an iPod directly to the radio. The 2009 radios have Bluetooth but they do not stream music so if you want to be able to control your iPod from the radio, you have to do one of the below.

The first option is the strange looking rectangular plug in the glovebox that connects using the older iPhone 4 and below style plug. I used that connection for a while but with the cable being so rigid and short in a small glovebox, there was no way to use it without bending the cable in a way that would eventually damage the iPod or the cable. That cable was around $35.

The second option is to get the kit that connects the iPod to the back of the radio and has an older iPod style cable that I ran behind the dash into the glovebox. Hooking this kit up requires removing the radio which isn't too hard. This kit was around $85.

If you are trying to connect a newer style iPod (iPhone 5 and up) you can connect it to one of the above Mopar cables using an Apple adapter called a "Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2M)" that you can order off of Amazon for $35. I have used the connector a couple times and it works. I have tried some cheaper adapters before and they didn't not work, so don't waste your time trying to save $20 on the adapter. This adapter may work on option one and since the Apple adapter is a softer cable, it may address the problem I experienced.

Adapter cable - Amazon.com: Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2M): MP3 Players & Accessories

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are some links to the iPod cables I have used for my 2009 R/T with factory navigation, radio model RER. Personally I prefer option #2 because the cable is long and It allows me to hide my extra iPod in my glovebox. If I want to connect my newer iPhone 5S, I just use the adapter I referenced in my previous post.

Option 1 - http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_challenger/accessories/audio/3g_iphone_ipod_integration_harness.html

Option 2 - http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_chall...d_interface_cable_for_uconnect_gps_radio.html

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cool, thanks!!! I figured there had to be something out there somewhere to connect to the newer iPod/phone.

How do you know what your radio model is? I have an '09 R/T Classic with the factory radio, but it doesn't have the navigation system. It has Sirius and I think 6 cds (I've been listening to my ipod and XM for so long I forget!) I do have the cable for the center console- in fact I just had to replace it last year because, like you said, it's so short that the deep freeze of the last 4 years took it's toll on the wire.

So if I understand correctly, I can use that Apple Lightening to 30 Pin adapter with the cable in the console, right? Or if I remove the radio I can just attach the adapter to the back of it and run the wire through to the glovebox?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts