Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to eventually to buy a Challenger and was wondering what you guys think would be the better buy? How much of a difference is between the two? The reason I ask this is because I know Dodge somewhat upgraded the SE trim, which I'm glad they did as I felt it was lacking.

On a side note I'm currently interested in TorRed/HO/B5 Blue so a 2011 SE might not even be an option.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well all depends really what your opinion is on better buy and what your looking for in the car such as a daily driver weekend warrior type deal.

From my experience the SE is the better buy it has all the luxuries the challenger has too offer.

I wanted a stick plan and simple and the srt was out of my price range and the r/t was pushing it, but I went ahead and went for it picked me up a base r/t and modded it too how i wanted later I didn't care if it had 18" rims or 20" rims I just wanted a 6S.

If the SE had a manuel, you bet your ass i'd be driving that instead of my R/T, but from now owning the car 2 years I love the V8 platform of the car and being able to jump on it a bit from time to time makes owning the 6S that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What kind of car history do you have? The standard features on the challengers are pretty darn good, you aren't missing too much from top trim to base trim that you can't mostly add yourself later for better price. Since the 2011 aren't really out yet, i would wait to drive both and see if you notice any difference. For trim i would say the only difference is Garmin nav unit. The only other things you might want thats hard to add is remote start package, EVIC, and really thats bout it. Or just not wait if you can find a r/t for under 28.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would get a used R/T 27J car if you can find one. However, a used 09 six speed car still brings 30k. Saw one sell at a chevy lot sell for that two months ago. It was a J car with 8k on it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It all depends on what you're looking for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an SE- in fact, at my first show I took second with my R/T to a very nicely done SE with custom wheel treatment, stereo, etc.

For me personally, I'm with 2quick2shift- getting 26-27mpg hwy with a 6-speed and still being able to get on it every once in awhile was just the thing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes, definitely get the R/T or the SE.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I hope to eventually to buy a Challenger and was wondering what you guys think would be the better buy? How much of a difference is between the two? The reason I ask this is because I know Dodge somewhat upgraded the SE trim, which I'm glad they did as I felt it was lacking.

On a side note I'm currently interested in TorRed/HO/B5 Blue so a 2011 SE might not even be an option.
If your stuck on those colors the HO and B5 are no longer available for 2011. Toxic orange and DWB are the colors in different shade.

Click on this link www.edmunds.com and enter in what vehicle your looking for. Don't give them your phone number, make them give quotes by e-mail. Dealerships from your area will e-mail you quotes. You will have a better chance of getting lower prices if they can not talk to you directly and spewing all their sales garbage. You can then take the prices and start a price war between dealerships to get the lowest price. If they don't want to play tell them then they are missing out on sale.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the responses.

I've done a lot of research but I'm still waiting. There are several RTs on edmunds for $25k-$27k. The only problem I have with the SE is that I feel like it doesn't have much muscle and I think I might regret not getting an RT (auto) if I do get the SE. I semi feel like I would be driving a muscle car but with little muscle, and granted I won't be taking it to the track or racing it, I still think it would be lingering at the back of my mind keeping my not completely happy. I of course would want to gun it every now and then on the road too.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I've done a lot of research but I'm still waiting. There are several RTs on edmunds for $25k-$27k. The only problem I have with the SE is that I feel like it doesn't have much muscle and I think I might regret not getting an RT (auto) if I do get the SE. I semi feel like I would be driving a muscle car but with little muscle, and granted I won't be taking it to the track or racing it, I still think it would be lingering at the back of my mind keeping my not completely happy. I of course would want to gun it every now and then on the road too.
TBH the V6 platform has plenty of pick up and go for day to day driving it also moves that 4k body around quite nicely so I say it has plenty of muscle, put a nice custom exhaust on and you'll have a great looking and sounding ride:thumbsup: but...

if your wanting to take it out do a couple burnouts punch it sideways every now and then get the V8, the SE is a great model, but from your saying it sounds like you're going to want to have a little more fun with the car than just drive it around for pure pleasure. Not too say the SE can't burn out or get a little sideways, but its not as easily obtained.

Keep your options open and best advice I could give is when your ready to buy... go test drive the two cars out, you will have a much better feel for what you want from them and what they have to offer in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts

Pretty much sums up why I decided to go with the R/T also. Not that there was anything wrong with the SE but if yer gonna have a muscle car.......it might as well have some muscle.

Bottom line,..... find a used R/T with low mileage that some one has done some mods to and call it good. I got a smmmmmmmmokin deal on a used 2009 R/T with some really nice wheels and tires......still can't wipe this smile off my face.

·
Banned
557 Posts
What features are you wanting in the SE? I ask because I bought my '10 RT with the 27F package (Track Pack, 6-speed and a few other goodies) for $27k out the door. The sticker was $33k. It has cloth seats and a "normal" radio with satellite, but power everything else so still a loaded car in many ways. The 6-speed costs $995 extra in the '10 models, so I'd assume you could find a base model auto for $26k or so out the door.

I'm not sure you will find that good of a deal on a used RT model, nor a new '11 SE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Challenger R/T. I also thought hard about the V6, and test drove one. Its power is decent, but not comparable to the Hemi. If you are having any thoughts that you will not be happy with the V6 then I would not do it because your only going to wish you had an RT and put out money trying to get your car faster. I bought my 6spd manual with chrome 20's and HO paint for 29,460 OTD. I can't speak for the 2011's though, and I know they are getting the power bump. Still Hemi is the way to go in your case since your questioning the v6.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What features are you wanting in the SE? I ask because I bought my '10 RT with the 27F package (Track Pack, 6-speed and a few other goodies) for $27k out the door. The sticker was $33k. It has cloth seats and a "normal" radio with satellite, but power everything else so still a loaded car in many ways. The 6-speed costs $995 extra in the '10 models, so I'd assume you could find a base model auto for $26k or so out the door.

I'm not sure you will find that good of a deal on a used RT model, nor a new '11 SE.
Honestly, I want the most I can get for my money. But also power.

I'm seeing used RTs going for high $24ks-$25ks, $27k new.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Remember that the 2011 6-cylinders are a huge performance upgrade over the time proven 3.5L. The gas mileage should be much improved over the 3.5L.

Now, that said, it still ain't no HEMI.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get the rt there are plenty around

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just drove an early production base 300 today. The new 3.6 and 6spd auto was fantastic. With the extra ponies and all the new pkgs including the super sport group, the 11 se is going to b a very nice ride for the same or less money than a used r/t I expect we'll sell a ton more se's this year.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The SE is a fine trim. As has been stated above, the 2011 has 305 HP, so unless you're used to a hot rod, it's plenty.

That being said, there is something about the hemi, especially with over 400 ft/lb of torque, that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

I think you should find a low mileage 2010 R/T, but only if the 24-27K range is manageable.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would get a used R/T 27J car if you can find one. However, a used 09 six speed car still brings 30k. Saw one sell at a chevy lot sell for that two months ago. It was a J car with 8k on it.
Given that brand new 2010's can be had for $25-$27K, this dealership found the right person to buy that car.

·
Registered
741 Posts
say what? with all that talking you do you still havent bought a car?????

with all of your posts about deals you found i find it hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
you must get the RT, you will enjoy the V8 muscle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts