Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to buy a used challenger from a dealership but it seems to have a pretty aggressive tune on it and they don't know much about it. Am I able to pull the tune off of it some how and have a local tuner look more into it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Without the tuner device you can’t do much. You just don’t know the extent of the mods. Possible internal mods. And if that’s the case you’ll need to have a custom tune done from scratch.
I wouldn’t buy it. Too many unknowns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without the tuner device you can’t do much. You just don’t know the extent of the mods. Possible internal mods. And if that’s the case you’ll need to have a custom tune done from scratch.
I wouldn’t buy it. Too many unknowns.
That's what I was worried about, not knowing what's done to it. Only has 12k miles, but no telling.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
most all quality dealers will not touch a car (buy/trade in) that has a tune or heavy mods, for a variety of reasons. liability & legality being two of them.
so either dealer didnt know (doubtful if they did any sort of inspection) or they do know and wont tell you.
Id pass on this, a tuned car is a car thats been both ridden hard and experimented with to get it to ride hard (nothing wrong with that) but it may not lend itself to a good purchase decision with tons of other better options out there with less risk. jmho

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You worried about warranty?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
No just worried about the car not running right down the road and me not being able to have it tuned since I don't know what mods are done, or what current tune is on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most all quality dealers will not touch a car (buy/trade in) that has a tune or heavy mods, for a variety of reasons. liability & legality being two of them.
so either dealer didnt know (doubtful if they did any sort of inspection) or they do know and wont tell you.
Id pass on this, a tuned car is a car thats been both ridden hard and experimented with to get it to ride hard (nothing wrong with that) but it may not lend itself to a good purchase decision with tons of other better options out there with less risk. jmho
I think i will pass, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Don't most dealers have a way to flash a stock tune back into the car? I thought someone mentioned that in another thread, they would charge like 120 bucks or something. Hell, if they really want to see it, make them eat that cost and get them to put it back to stock for you. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Don't most dealers have a way to flash a stock tune back into the car? I thought someone mentioned that in another thread, they would charge like 120 bucks or something. Hell, if they really want to see it, make them eat that cost and get them to put it back to stock for you. Just my 2 cents.
It might have internal mods, like a cam, that won't run on a stock tune

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Why not ask the dealer for the previous owners name and contact info and find out what the car has had done before you just bail out on what might be a good car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
I doubt the dealer would reveal the previous owners info. They could contact them and see if they would mind if you had their contact. I doubt most dealers would go through that much trouble.

A Guy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I have gotten contact info on two different cars from different dealers

Guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
^^^^ Why would you say that. The majority of the folks on this thread modify their cars in one way or another. The OP may get lucky with a car that has mods he would've wanted to do already performed. A little investigation may go a long way here. I personally bought my 13 Challenger R/T with an Exhaust, Aftermarket Wheels, and a CAI already installed. I still ended up modding it further. But I seeing the car already had some of the things I wanted to do to it made it more appealing to me. Purchasing it with a start on mods I was planning for it save me money and time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some of the Challengers I see used with mods are in less than desirable condition.
It’s my Opinion to buy a used Challenger without mods and from an original owner or local trade in. Chances are the car has been decently driven and taken care of. Some of these cars you don’t know what’s been done or who’s done it.
I’ve seen quite a few that have the check engine light on and some with engine or drivetrain noises. The more owners and mods a car has the higher the percentage that it’s been abused.

It’s the buyers choice. Maybe they get lucky and buy a good car and maybe the buy one that’s nothing but headaches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
009SRT
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing