Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of side marker blackouts, even though it seems like a high-quality product I'm not 100% happy with the appearance so I'll be sending them back.

I know some members on here have used VHT to paint their sidemarker lights, I'm wondering (1) did you take the lights out to paint them or leave them in and mask around and (2) how is the light output through the VHT?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I took mine out to paint them. The more coats, the darker. I put 3 coats on mine and I still get decent light coming through at night.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I masked mine off. I think I put two coats on mine. It's not too dark. Looks pretty good to me.

Mike

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I normally am not a fan of VHT or rattle can paint jobs. I personally prefer getting them professionally tinted with a true candy black and clear process. More translucency is achieved without sacrificing looks. Of course the more coats applied, the darker the light and less visibility.

You definitely want to take them out IMO if you want to achieve the best results and manage to keep the job clean. JMO.

Good luck, Jorge

·
Registered
607 Posts
What is the cost on this VHT paint? Do the side markers come out pretty easy and does it dry quick?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked around last night, the VHT is cheap - $15 a can or so.

Though I usually agree about getting it professionally done, I think in this instance it'd be better to do it myself. The body shops around me don't care to do small jobs, so I'd have to pay an arm and a leg as well as "leave the parts for a day or two", which will no doubt turn into a week+.

How do the lights come out? I imagine there are clips from behind?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,

I did my side markers with Nightshades.

The rear pop rioght out the front are more involved. I masked the fronts and removed the rears.

2 coats of NS and 2 coats of clear. They match the rear tails now.

FYI,
Marion

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of clear did you use? Was it anything special, or just a basic clear coat?

·
Registered
607 Posts
And a clear coat of what? Why would this be necessary?

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can buy a nice pair on Ebay. That is how I got mine.

They are black plastic (are not painted) and fit like a glove. If you get black plastic you wont have to worry about repainting them in the future.

I'll try and find the link to where I got mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I purchased a set of side marker blackouts, even though it seems like a high-quality product I'm not 100% happy with the appearance so I'll be sending them back.

I know some members on here have used VHT to paint their sidemarker lights, I'm wondering (1) did you take the lights out to paint them or leave them in and mask around and (2) how is the light output through the VHT?
You can buy a nice pair on Ebay. That is how I got mine.

They are black plastic (are not painted) and fit like a glove. If you get black plastic you wont have to worry about repainting them in the future.

I'll try and find the link to where I got mine.

:bigthumb:Here is the link. Much easier & less worry.

08-10 DODGE CHALLENGER SMOKED BUMPER SIDE MARKER LIGHTS | eBay

·
Registered
607 Posts
You know if that link that you sent works for the 2011s? As for the VHT Niteshades, what did you use to pry off the side markers? And how many coats do you use and how long does it take to dry/be able to put back on?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
And a clear coat of what? Why would this be necessary?
I used Duplicolor Clear.

Use this to improve gloss and protect the NS base coat. Just like any modern paint system. Do a wet sand with a 1500 grit before last coat.

FYI,
Marion

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
You know if that link that you sent works for the 2011s? As for the VHT Niteshades, what did you use to pry off the side markers? And how many coats do you use and how long does it take to dry/be able to put back on?
Yes I installed them on my 2011 R/T. Front ones only. I guess there are rear ones you can buy on Ebay too (link in the above posts). My front ones look great, they look factory made.

·
Registered
251 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts