Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just writing because I was actually really curious about the AWD GT and SXT. I was wondering if you can change from the AWD to the RWD and back and forth or is that not possible?

·
Registered
195 Posts
From what I gather the computer keeps it in RWD most of the time for fuel economy until it detects poor traction then it switches to AWD. Also it switches to full time AWD if put in sport mode or the outside temps drop below 40f. That's what I learned when shopping for my challenger but I ended up getting a great deal on an R/T so I don't have any first hand experience aside from 1 test drive I did in an AWD Challenger. There is a screen that tells you if you are currently in AWD or RWD though.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
381 Posts
I asked Dodge about this a while back. There is no approved method to switch between the two when you want it.

There are ways to cheat the vehicle into engaging AWD, but no real safe ways to keep it from staying RWD unless you disable the AWD completely.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As stated above, the AWD is "automatic". It defaults to RWD and switches to AWD if it detects wheel slip, if the temperature is below a certain threshold OR if you engage Sport mode (but that also changes other items besides AWD).

However, if you install a Tazer device, you can force the car into RWD on-demand - and it works very well. Interesting, it doesn't seem to have a way to force AWD (been meaning to ask the Tazer people about that).

I even installed actual buttons in the spot where the adaptive cruise control buttons would normally go (my car doesn't have that feature) - so that I can force RWD whenever I want with a simple button push.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
381 Posts
As stated above, the AWD is "automatic". It defaults to RWD and switches to AWD if it detects wheel slip, if the temperature is below a certain threshold OR if you engage Sport mode (but that also changes other items besides AWD).

However, if you install a Tazer device, you can force the car into RWD on-demand - and it works very well. Interesting, it doesn't seem to have a way to force AWD (been meaning to ask the Tazer people about that).

I even installed actual buttons in the spot where the adaptive cruise control buttons would normally go (my car doesn't have that feature) - so that I can force RWD whenever I want with a simple button push.
Oh yes, Tazer, keep forgetting about that thing. Whenever the manuals get back in stock on TechAuthority, I was going to buy the wiring prints and see what I can do about adding a AWD switch. As long as it is not CAN bus controlled {which Dodge are jerks so it probably is}, I figured I could send it a fake "wipers on" signal or something to force the vehicle into AWD. Then again if I would stop using RainX I would not need to send it a fake "wiper on" signal.

One thing Dodge did say is that if you turn of the traction control, it does not really turn off the traction control. It puts in it a passive mode. It still watches everything you do and will try to stop you from killing yourself. So I feel somewhat safer about using that to arm the AWD, but I will probably just pointlessly turn on the wipers instead.

·
Registered
2020 AWD GoMango SXT Blacktop
42 Posts
From my experience, AWD turns on automatically if you start losing traction, when temps get below 45F, or when Sport mode is turned on. Other than when one of those conditions are met, the car stays in RWD mode. You'll easily tell when your car is in AWD mode when the fuel efficiency tanks. Is what it is, but makes snow and ice driving a breeze.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
From my experience, AWD turns on automatically if you start losing traction, when temps get below 45F, or when Sport mode is turned on. Other than when one of those conditions are met, the car stays in RWD mode. You'll easily tell when your car is in AWD mode when the fuel efficiency tanks. Is what it is, but makes snow and ice driving a breeze.
I believe when the windshield wipers are on as well.

You can also have it show on your screen when it is in RWD or AWD.

·
Registered
2020 AWD GoMango SXT Blacktop
42 Posts
I believe when the windshield wipers are on as well.

You can also have it show on your screen when it is in RWD or AWD.
Not sure about the wiper thing, but now I have something new to test when we get above 50...whenever that may be.

+1 on the center display. Shows under the monitoring sub-menu with TPMS, temperatures, pressures, and voltage. I tend to just keep it on TPMS and forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I can confirm that the AWD definitely does turn on when the wipers are on. Basically AWD helps in the rain just like I'm does in the snow...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
From my experience, AWD turns on automatically if you start losing traction, when temps get below 45F,
I believe it’s probably when temps drops below 40. Tonight I took these two picks.
Gauge Carmine Speedometer Gear shift Measuring instrument
Gauge Speedometer Carmine Trip computer Measuring instrument

At 39 degrees it’s still RWD but at 38 degrees it’s AWD. I also believe it gets the temp from your GPS instead of the cars outside temp gauge.

I park below ground level at work where it never gets below 60 degrees and on a 20 degree day AWD is on before I leave the garage while the outside temp gauge on my car is still reading in the 60’s.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Also if you put the shifter into manual mode the AWD will be turned on just like using sport mode.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
381 Posts
Not sure about the wiper thing, but now I have something new to test when we get above 50...whenever that may be.

+1 on the center display. Shows under the monitoring sub-menu with TPMS, temperatures, pressures, and voltage. I tend to just keep it on TPMS and forgot about that.
The wipers will turn on you AWD, it is part of the logic. Turning them on in a light rain is what I use to engage AWD. I believe the book says "prolonged use" or something like that. I totally was not dicking around in the rain and watching it switch. I never timed it, but it takes something like 2 minutes of your wipers being on for the switch to happen.

As for GPS temperature... I surely hope the people at Dodge are not that careless {though they have proven otherwise many times}. There is more than one outside air temperature sensor under your hood. I know the one on the dash matches my heated seats auto on, but like others have noted, not the AWD. I would hope they would use intake temperature before taking the controls of the car to an outside source.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
381 Posts
For what it is worth, your AWD on/off signal is through the CAN Bus. So that is where the Tazer comes in to play.

If you want to void your warranty, it would be fairly easy to install a switch to supply or remove power to 3 of the disconnect module to shut off AWD. Have to check some wiring to figure out how it works to engage it through 2 and 4 if you want to turn AWD on. Who knows what codes that might throw and it is certainly something I would not want to touch with the vehicle in motion.

Side note, from reading the manuals that are as clear as mud. It appears the PCM gets three temperature inputs. The ambient air temperature, intake air temperature, and engine coolant temperature. It compares these to determine the temperature it wants to use. With the engine running it ignores the coolant temperature and appears to average the other two for the AWD. Meanwhile our cluster just tells us ambient. So that would be why the cluster does not match AWD on/off precisely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts