Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on whether or not I should do an engine swap on the new Challenger GT or supercharge. I just want to know if anyone here has put a supercharger on their V6 Challenger. Before everyone tells me to just upgrade to the R/T. The only reason I am getting a GT is due to the fact that it is AWD- the main concern is winter. I live up in Northern Alberta in Canada and you can drive RWD car but it's a ****ing hassle. I would like to have something sensible in the winter that is AWD, but can also get up in the summer. I've seen some superchargers done by TidalWave on the V6 Challenger but no one talks about any problems they have or modifications after their supercharger. If I wanted something quick and AWD I would just go to Audi or BMW and add intake and quick tune, but I'm into the traditional and modern muscle car body style.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
If I had one I'd be bolting a Sprintex twin screw on it! I keep trying to talk my best friend into doing the same
on his 100th Anniversary..... :)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are you sure the AWD system is up to all that power? I would think they would have put it in the R/Ts also if possible.
If I were you I would do a stock GT and a non winter............. whatever you could dream up doing to a Scat!

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
Supercharger for sure. I suspect an engine swap would be a nightmare if even possible w/o spending vast sums of money for all the modifications other then the supercharger that are likely needed. When dodge modified the floor pan for the 8 speed transmissions in the LX chassis the V-8 AWD option dropped off with the 8 speed transmission. Interestingly in the U.S. (maybe Canada) police departments can still order AWD V-8's with the old 5 speed Nag.

If you have not driven a late model 2WD car, the traction control/stability control/good studded winter tire combination are a marvel in snow/ice. I drive my Challenger year round in Alaska and rarely is it an issue unless it is my 1/4 mile, 10% grade driveway that glaciates sometimes in the winter (admittedly I have an old 4WD p/u as backup).

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
If you have not driven a late model 2WD car, the traction control/stability control/good studded winter tire combination are a marvel in snow/ice. I drive my Challenger year round in Alaska and rarely is it an issue unless it is my 1/4 mile, 10% grade driveway that glaciates sometimes in the winter (admittedly I have an old 4WD p/u as backup).
There is no doubt that it's all about the tires! My friend drives his 100th Anniversary year round, he has a set of
Moda rims with Blizzak's and he has zero issues and he has to drive to the locks and dams in the middle of winter
and most of them are on goat paths! That being said... An AWD 392 8 speed would be hard to beat off the line
and I really wish they would offer it.. When I was looking for a new daily, AWD was a must and Dodge didn't
offer anything close to fast enough in that segment.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I have the Sprintex supercharger, I put it on over a weekend just using basic had tools, Sprintex has a few tunes to give ya based on what you have done to your car. Last I knew the tidalwave supercharger isn't ideal for cold weather. Don't get wrapped up in the HP claims from the manufactures, pretty much any one of them best your going to do is a 12 second e.t. of some kind 102 -108 mph in a 2 wheel drive car and it takes some work to get into the 12's even then no matter what kit you go with.

I have been watching progress of a few builds and right now my little twin screw is turning the quickest 0-60 mph at 4.18, one I have been watching that did a Ripp is mid 4.5 range another Sprintex build he just got into the 12's @ 104 mph another.

I'll dog on Ripp a little, they claim a bunch of hp but the cars I'm seeing with Ripp supercharger are running 13's and I see 5.0 or slower 0-60 mph runs mostly. Not impressed at all with their kits mostly because of the high output claims don't match real world experiences. I will dog on tidalwave too, the kits are so pieced together and really look like crap and the vibration issue with that big o honk'n aluminum plate the supercharger mounts to seems to be an issue.

After a few years of debating and watching, I went with Sprintex, hands down they have the best kit out in the market for fit and finish, they really look like oem kits and the fitment was perfect on my car. The only bad thing I will say about Sprintex, their tunes are not great for all out performance, they suck! But if your not looking for every ounce of power they do have a tune that is self learning and will get better with time.

I bought my Sprintex thru Superchargers of OKC. Got an upgraded tuner to the Trinity and $500 rebate and Mike works with you personally every way he can to make sure your happy. I went with the stage 2 SPS kit, which is the only way to go if your going to supercharge with Sprintex.

I'm very happy with my kit, still working on it to squeeze as much power as I can out of it thru changing some physical parts to get most air in and out of engine and the last thing I will do is get a custom tune probably from OST to tie everything together and try to reach my goal of 12.50 @ 109 or so mph.

Reactions: Toxic11

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
@ddeennis

Do you have a youtube channel? I'd love to see the runs with the Sprintex. Those things sound awesome! :)

I have the Sprintex supercharger, I put it on over a weekend just using basic had tools, Sprintex has a few tunes to give ya based on what you have done to your car. Last I knew the tidalwave supercharger isn't ideal for cold weather. Don't get wrapped up in the HP claims from the manufactures, pretty much any one of them best your going to do is a 12 second e.t. of some kind 102 -108 mph in a 2 wheel drive car and it takes some work to get into the 12's even then no matter what kit you go with.

I have been watching progress of a few builds and right now my little twin screw is turning the quickest 0-60 mph at 4.18, one I have been watching that did a Ripp is mid 4.5 range another Sprintex build he just got into the 12's @ 104 mph another.

I'll dog on Ripp a little, they claim a bunch of hp but the cars I'm seeing with Ripp supercharger are running 13's and I see 5.0 or slower 0-60 mph runs mostly. Not impressed at all with their kits mostly because of the high output claims don't match real world experiences. I will dog on tidalwave too, the kits are so pieced together and really look like crap and the vibration issue with that big o honk'n aluminum plate the supercharger mounts to seems to be an issue.

After a few years of debating and watching, I went with Sprintex, hands down they have the best kit out in the market for fit and finish, they really look like oem kits and the fitment was perfect on my car. The only bad thing I will say about Sprintex, their tunes are not great for all out performance, they suck! But if your not looking for every ounce of power they do have a tune that is self learning and will get better with time.

I bought my Sprintex thru Superchargers of OKC. Got an upgraded tuner to the Trinity and $500 rebate and Mike works with you personally every way he can to make sure your happy. I went with the stage 2 SPS kit, which is the only way to go if your going to supercharge with Sprintex.

I'm very happy with my kit, still working on it to squeeze as much power as I can out of it thru changing some physical parts to get most air in and out of engine and the last thing I will do is get a custom tune probably from OST to tie everything together and try to reach my goal of 12.50 @ 109 or so mph.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
@ddeennis

Do you have a youtube channel? I'd love to see the runs with the Sprintex. Those things sound awesome! :)

Well, I got a flip phone that barely takes pictures, that's about as far advance as I am with any of those nifty gadgets.

Seriously, I have a youtube channel ( not to much on there), but nothing with Sprintex yet, I have to get my son or wife to video the car some time and get it uploaded. Heading to track tomorrow, maybe I can get the wife to video the car.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Well, I got a flip phone that barely takes pictures, that's about as far advance as I am with any of those nifty gadgets.

Seriously, I have a youtube channel ( not to much on there), but nothing with Sprintex yet, I have to get my son or wife to video the car some time and get it uploaded. Heading to track tomorrow, maybe I can get the wife to video the car.

If you talk her into shooting video shoot me a PM when you get back I'd love to watch it! Have fun tomorrow!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Ran 12.80 @ 105.41 mph today with a 1.78 60ft time DA was 2980 on my best pass.

Here's two video's, 1st and second pass 1.91 and 1.90 60ft, took it easy on first pass from idle to see how track bite was and got more aggressive with each pass, 1.82/1.80 then a 1.78 60ft time till I had to let the car sit for a few hours then the car was cold and only managed a 1.87 on my last pass, went home.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran 12.80 @ 105.41 mph today with a 1.78 60ft time DA was 2980 on my best pass.

Here's two video's, 1st and second pass 1.91 and 1.90 60ft, took it easy on first pass from idle to see how track bite was and got more aggressive with each pass, 1.82/1.80 then a 1.78 60ft time till I had to let the car sit for a few hours then the car was cold and only managed a 1.87 on my last pass, went home.

**** that's dope. You'll be running 12.5 in no time. Keep it up man! Might even be running high 11's soon enough. I've seen a few 2010 V6 Camaro's running high 11's here at the track in Canada and beating 2011 SS's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts