Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TEN COMMANDMENTS of Modding Our V6 Exhausts:

No shortage of v6 folks wanting to upgrade their stock exhaust - no problem with that desire, it's part of the MODDING MADNESS!

But just some quick FACTS so you can get these basics out of the way and do your research:

1. Yes, your v6 will never sound like a v8, but you can still make it a little DEEPER and LOUDER
2. It is EASY to mod a v6 and make it sound crappy; it is difficult (but possible) to make it sound better
3. Forget what works for the v8's; your engine is totally different, so only go by the advice of others with v6
4. What works for the 3.5, may not work for the 3.6
5. What works for the 2011-2014 3.6, may not work for the 2015+ 3.6 (6spd transmission vs 8spd transmission slight difference)
6. Use what you hear on video as a guide only; it is best to hear someone's exhaust in person (go to car meets and shows)
7. "Drone" is often misunderstood; basically it is not just sound, but an annoying vibration you feel inside the car
8. In Challengers and Chargers, RESONATORS are at the rear, MUFFLERs are under the passenger compartment; when someone gives you advise about either, verify they know which they are talking about
9. The 3.5L starts as two pipes then goes into one muffler and then out to two exhaust pipes; the 3.6 is true dual exhaust
10. How good an exhaust sounds is also subjective; what sounds great to one Motorhead might sound like loud crap to another

So now that you know these basic facts, start researching. :banger:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
I agree with the points above. Here is a stock 2015+ 3.6 exhaust

003.jpg

002.jpg

The exhaust that is removed on a cat back change starts at the clamps between the more gold colored pipes from the cats, and the silver colored pipes. Then the x pipe, the mufflers, tail pipes, and the resonators at the back. The resonators are not attached to the exhaust tips stock. The stock tips are attached to the rear valence. Some cat backs let you use the stock tips. A Guy

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the points above. Here is a stock 2015+ 3.6 exhaust

View attachment 864146

View attachment 864154

The exhaust that is removed on a cat back change starts at the clamps between the more gold colored pipes from the cats, and the silver colored pipes. Then the x pipe, the mufflers, tail pipes, and the resonators at the back. The resonators are not attached to the exhaust tips stock. The stock tips are attached to the rear valence. Some cat backs let you use the stock tips. A Guy
Yes, and I believe the 2011-2014 SXT and 2015-2017 SXT look the same, but there may be a slight internal difference since the 2015+ uses the 8 speed transmission; I've noticed all the aftermarket catbacks are different between the 2011-2014 and the 2015+. Pypes doesn't make a catback for the 2015+; Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and Solo have different systems for the 8 spd.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,730 Posts
Detailed Specs and Pics

Adding to @RockanRoll's post:

-- The 2010 and below V6's have a SI/SO suitcase muffler that empties into a single (whisper-quiet) resonator at the right rear of the car, and the exhaust pipe size is 2.5" for both inlet and outlet(?) on muffler.
-- 2010 and below exhaust mods for V6 can be a SI/DO muffler, but rear valance has to be swapped out for one from an R/T to allow exit of 2 pipes (one on each side like 2011+).
It can be manually cut to allow for the 2 exits (one on each side), but it's easier just to swap it out with one that's already cut like that.

-- The 2011 and above V6's exhaust is 2.25" on both inlet and outlet of mufflers and resonators.
-- If separate mufflers on 2011 and above V6's are replaced with a single DI/DO muffler, its necessary placement will put it directly below the driveshaft of the car.
As such, some muffler shops will say it should not/cannot be done, but that's hogwash. It can be done, they just need to be careful and do their welding with precision.

Some before/after pics of both 2010 and below vs. 2011 and above exhaust systems in stock form and modded with a single muffler (sorry for the crappy photoshopping, I didn't have pics of all the various scenarios I wanted to reference):

2010 exhaust modded with a SI/DO JFB (#FB425 shown) muffler:
2010 exhaust mod - SIDO muffler.jpg

Stock 2010 exhaust with SI/SO suitcase muffler (photocrapped):
2010 stock exhaust - SISO suitcase.jpg

2011 and above stock exhaust (true duals all the way back):
<see @A Guy's post above with pics>

2011+ exhaust modded with single DI/DO muffler (photocrapped):
2011 and up - DIDO muffler placement.jpg

2011 exhaust modded with DI/DO JFB muffler 1 (#FB4554 shown) :
2011 exhaust mod - DIDO JFB a.jpg

2011 exhaust modded with DI/DO JFB muffler 2 (#FB4554 shown) :
2011 exhaust mod -DIDO JFB b.jpg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

-- The 2010 and below V6's have a SI/SO suitcase muffler that empties into a single (whisper-quiet) resonator at the right rear of the car, and the exhaust pipe size is 2.5" for both inlet and outlet on muffler.
-- 2010 and below exhaust mods for V6 can be a SI/DO muffler, but rear valance has to be swapped out for one from an R/T to allow exit of 2 pipes (one on each side like 2011+).
It can be manually cut to allow for the 2 exits (one on each side), but it's easier just to swap it out with one that's already cut like that.

-- The 2011 and above V6's exhaust is 2.25" on both inlet and outlet of mufflers and resonators.
-- If separate mufflers on 2011 and above V6's are replaced with a single DI/DO muffler, its necessary placement will put it directly below the driveshaft of the car.
As such, some muffler shops will say it should not/cannot be done, but that's hogwash. It can be done, they just need to be careful and do their welding with precision.

Some before/after pics of both 2010 and below vs. 2011 and above exhaust systems in stock form and modded with a single muffler (sorry for the crappy photoshopping, I didn't have pics of all the various scenarios I wanted to reference):

2010 exhaust modded with a SI/DO JFB muffler:
View attachment 864258

View attachment 864266

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler (photocrapped):
View attachment 864274

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler 1(real-life):
View attachment 864282

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler 2(real-life):
View attachment 864298
EXCELLENT, Nuke!

And if you do the DI/DO single muffler conversion on a 2011-14, only bring it to a knowlegeable muffler shop experienced with custom work; I did that with the Jones Fullboar FB4554 on my 2012 SXT and they did custom j-pipes like Solo - came out great, but they had experience making custom exhausts and j-pipes. Experience is not cheap, and you get what you paid for.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the suitcase sized resonators on the 3.6L with a pair of the smaller straight through style on the 6.4L? I want to try it I hope to get some more volume and a lower tone.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
2012 dont remember which muffler there is a big thead on it over at challenger******

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
You should get the same sound on a 2016 as a 2014. Perhaps a bit different driving as 2015+ has the 8 speed automatic. I can only vouch from personal experience for the Solo cat back. A Guy

·
Registered
97 Posts
After some reading on here and looking at videos, including your own, I think I'll go ahead and add the Solo Performance Mach-X to my wishlist.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any recommendations for a 2014 Stock SXT?

Would this set up on a 2016 SXT sound the same on my 2014?

2016 Dodge Challenger SXT (V6, 3.6 Liter) Borla S-Type Exhaust - YouTube
You should get the same sound on a 2016 as a 2014. Perhaps a bit different driving as 2015+ has the 8 speed automatic. I can only vouch from personal experience for the Solo cat back. A Guy
Solo - like most if not all exhaust kits - offer a different model for the 2011-2014, and the 2015+ 3.6L engines; best bet is to check the websites for the model numbers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Solo - like most if not all exhaust kits - offer a different model for the 2011-2014, and the 2015+ 3.6L engines; best bet is to check the websites for the model numbers.
I'm going to go with the Solo Performance exhaust offered for the V6. I've heard videos of it and it sounds pretty good on video and most people say videos never do justice. It is also recommended on here.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
56 Posts

-- The 2010 and below V6's have a SI/SO suitcase muffler that empties into a single (whisper-quiet) resonator at the right rear of the car, and the exhaust pipe size is 2.5" for both inlet and outlet on muffler.

2010 exhaust modded with a SI/DO JFB muffler:

View attachment 864258

View attachment 864266

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler (photocrapped):

View attachment 864274

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler 1(real-life):

View attachment 864282

2011 exhaust modded with single DI/DO JFB muffler 2(real-life):

View attachment 864298

Hey Nuke, is that si/do you posted yours? If so, were the pipes going out custom from a shop or did you install them yourself? If you did, where’d you purchased the prefab pipes from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,730 Posts
Hey Nuke, is that si/do you posted yours? If so, were the pipes going out custom from a shop or did you install them yourself? If you did, where’d you purchased the prefab pipes from?

That is not my Challenger in that pic, but my setup is identical to it - 2010 with stock exhaust replaced from the Y-pipe back using a SI/DO JFB muffler and new pipes all the way to the back and out through the valance after cutting it but hand to allow for the square tips.

The pipes were not pre-bent or manufactured to fit that application, they were just standard exhaust pipe that the exhaust shop sells where I had the work done.

It took them a while to get thos pipes bent into that configuration in order to maximize the space under there, but that is their job, so they can do it and make the bends exactly where they need to be to fit just right

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is not my Challenger in that pic, but my setup is identical to it - 2010 with stock exhaust replaced from the Y-pipe back using a SI/DO JFB muffler and new pipes all the way to the back and out through the valance after cutting it but hand to allow for the square tips.

The pipes were not pre-bent or manufactured to fit that application, they were just standard exhaust pipe that the exhaust shop sells where I had the work done.

It took them a while to get thos pipes bent into that configuration in order to maximize the space under there, but that is their job, so they can do it and make the bends exactly where they need to be to fit just right

Ok so I will probably have to go to a shop to have them put the pipes, but I can at least buy the muffler and tips prior and just take them to a good muffler shop that specializes in customs and have them put it on. Thanks! Hopefully it’ll only be a hundred or so for the “custom” pipes so it’ll be a lot cheaper then buying like a Flowmaster set up (I can see $150/300 more than $1300 or more)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts