Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has already been asnwered, but if not, maybe some of you technical/mechanical types can tell us why not build a V6 Hemi.

I have a Rallye SE and love it. I never plan on racing and couldn't see the need in spending the additional $10,000 for a R/T or the additional $20,000 for a SRT. Sure, they have a lot more horses, but paying 40-80% more for the car wouldn't make it 40-80% faster.

If the major difference between my V6 and the V8 Hemis (not talking about the extra two cylinders), is hemispherical heads, why not put hemisperical heads on a V6? Would it work? Would it sell? What would be the increase in power? How much more would it cost to build?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
:brickwall:
Oh my gosh here we go again.
The V6 does technically have hemispherical heads but the HEMI name is a trademarked name marketed only for Dodge V8's I believe.
At least that is my understanding.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
There are a lot of different motors that are technically Hemi style heads that just about all the manufactures use. That style combustion chamber is not limited to Mopars, however the Hemi name is trademarked an usually reserved for V8's. I will concede that there have been 6 cylinder hemis in the past though.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I think there are extra things that come standard with the RT for the 10K other than the V8. I don't remember what they were but I'm sure the main reason I got the RT was it was a Classic with a V8 HIMI.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
On the RT and SRT8 but not on the SE:

The dash EVIC comes standard.
Dual exhaust
Different and more lower front fascia
I 'think' the speedometer goes to a higher speed too.
20 inch wheels/tires
Push button start
Manual transmission is an option
More paint colors are available

Yes, I have also heard that the V6 is a type of hemi but the Hemi name has always been linked to the V8 engine. In the early 80s though the K Cars had a HEMI 4 cylinder engine as an option and it said HEMI on the front quarter panel believe it or not.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Maybe this has already been asnwered, but if not, maybe some of you technical/mechanical types can tell us why not build a V6 Hemi.

I have a Rallye SE and love it. I never plan on racing and couldn't see the need in spending the additional $10,000 for a R/T or the additional $20,000 for a SRT. Sure, they have a lot more horses, but paying 40-80% more for the car wouldn't make it 40-80% faster.

If the major difference between my V6 and the V8 Hemis (not talking about the extra two cylinders), is hemispherical heads, why not put hemisperical heads on a V6? Would it work? Would it sell? What would be the increase in power? How much more would it cost to build?

Just wondering.
Besides the straight line performance there are other improvements such as handling (often over looked it seems) and braking. Along with the long list of options and standard items on the R/T and SRT8. It really depends on what you're looking for and what's important to you.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just wait a while and buy a Hemi V8 out of a junk car and drop it in. If you don't mind automatic, you could even grab one out of a 300 C or Magnum right now.

·
Registered
764 Posts
On the RT and SRT8 but not on the SE:

Dual exhaust
20 inch wheels/tires
Push button start

Yes, I have also heard that the V6 is a type of hemi but the Hemi name has always been linked to the V8 engine. In the early 80s though the K Cars had a HEMI 4 cylinder engine as an option and it said HEMI on the front quarter panel believe it or not.
For the 2011:
-------------
-------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts