Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the max power you can make on the 3.6 pentastar V6 with bolt ons?
Lets say you add ported intakes, new throttle body, CAI, headers, performance coil pack & plugs, tune and exhaust.
Can the stock fuel injectors handle 360+ crank HP ? (the stock are supposed to be bosch 289cc flow rate)
At what power level would you start to lean out?

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
I know it not that the answer you're looking for but from my experience, it's not worth the money you're spending for a few extra “released" horsepower, you cannot make more power from bolt-ons but you can regain the Parasitic horsepower that is lost from the fly wheel to the rear wheels.

I understand that just about all automotive enthusiast love working on their cars and installing bolt-on parts, it gives us pleasure doing something to our vehicles that may improve its performance, we've all been there and many are going that direction. Enjoy it while you have it (y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) No headers as the exhaust port is cast into the head. With just a custom tune I'd think you might see 20-25HP and 25-30 TQ max. This would be a custom dyno tune. The exhaust, CAI, coil packs and even the throttle body will not gain you much if anything. To be generous, let's say 5HP? The ported upper and lower intakes coupled with the throttle body may net 10HP? And a custom dyno tune with all that I'd say you could net 40HP and 50TQ on 91-93 octane. $2,500-$3,500 for a possible 343 crank HP and 318 crank TQ?

292-294WHP and 275-277WTQ? 13% HP increase and 19% TQ increase for $2,500-$3,500 and the ongoing cost of using Premium fuel. All speculation as I've yet to see anyone go this route and dyno at each step. Most just jump to the RIPP supercharger and call it a day. We'll see what firebreak_sxt comes up with

A Guy

Reactions: JT-RacerX5273

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know it not that the answer you're looking for but from my experience, it's not worth the money you're spending for a few extra “released" horsepower, you cannot make more power from bolt-ons but you can regain the Parasitic horsepower that is lost from the fly wheel to the rear wheels.

I understand that just about all automotive enthusiast love working on their cars and installing bolt-on parts, it gives us pleasure doing something to our vehicles that may improve its performance, we've all been there and many are going that direction. Enjoy it while you have it (y)
I already got to 318HP with just CAI and a bigger air filter + NGK spark plugs. To get to 340HP on a V6 would be fantastic. perfect blend of power and economy.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
9,318 Posts
the thing called a "PUG", I believe it is the lower intake manifold and is an oem part for the minivans? V6 owners know more about it than me. You are not going to find cams for the engine. HP numbers depend on a dyno and different factors, the only real gauge is to track the car and see if you pick up any time or mph after specific mods.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
No offense, but you dynoed the car? If it's just the manufacturer says the CAI added 15HP, it won't happen. The plugs also add nothing. NGK used to be the OEM supplier, but I see your year it's now Champion. I'm not putting down the V6, I own one. I will agree if you can add 37HP it will be noticeable for sure

Frank, PUG Pentastar Upgrade yes, it's more ported compared to the normal lower intake. I don't know if it is as ported as the available ported intakes. Not cheap...also no claims of HP increases

I'd love to see someone document any changes from adding these parts one by one and a final true bolt on upgrade

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,875 Posts
Lets say you add ported intakes, new throttle body, CAI, headers, performance coil pack & plugs, tune and exhaust.
Can the stock fuel injectors handle 360+ crank HP ? (the stock are supposed to be bosch 289cc flow rate)
Your not going to top 315 to at the wheels with Bolt Ons and Tune to the Wheels. The Cai 1 to 3 HP if you use Hellcat Air Box and Filter and that is debateable. K&N Notta same for most CAI. Headers they do not make Headers for a 3.6 the Head has a Single Exhaust Port, Coil Packs and Plugs do nothing for Hp Increase only Response and Factory Packs are fine. A Tune can open up about 15 to 20 hp at the Flywheel no Rear Wheels if your going by what the advertisement that is the placebo effect.

DYNO tells all. You need a Baseline before a Baseline after and a Tune Baseline you will be disappointment with the results.
Even if you go to a Procharger, or Turbo the factory Injectors and Coil Packs will suffice fine.

Single Port Exhaust Pentastar 3.6 HEAD/ Exhaust Header its one UNIT you got a single down pipe.
Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

HP also does not stack by just going by the advertised Numbers on the Packages and they always say Results will vary with Bolt Ons.
The Response you feel is a Fresh set of Plugs not HP gains.

The only way your gonna see HP Increase is using a DYNO and Tune no other method will back up anything regardless of Product Claims.
Products especially CAI's are very deceptive eye candy.

Also your PCM if your car is a 2015 and up the PCM is locked and has to be sent out and unlocked for a Tune to work on it.
2011-2014's are Unlocked. Again 15 to maybe 20hp with the PCM Tune and about 5 - 7 more hp max with additions but tune
for them has to be done. That will be the FLYWHEEL HP not Rear Wheel. 305hp is Baseline Flywheel on the Pentastar.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,348 Posts
So the +2016 pentastar in jeeps/durangos had a bump in compression ratio, upgraded intake, liquid cooled EGR and variable valve lift added. It did not change peak HP/torque but improved overall HP/TQ at lower RPMs. BTW there was a TSB where defective plugs caused misfires on the V6 so I am wondering it that is why the switch in spark plug manufacturer happened?

That said, there is some gains to be had by tweaking VVT for performance instead of emissions/economy but that requires ~$1k for unlocked PCM, tuner, credits and email tuning. Other than that supercharge (easily +$7k) or nitrous.

·
Registered
341 Posts
For the life of me, I can't figure out why no one has swapped the Ferrari designed Maserati heads onto one of these - the Maserati v6 is after all a pentastar.....or even swap in a whole TT motor out of a wrecked Ghibli - the Ferrari Heads are what makes the motor.....and they have individual exhaust ports.....I was considering the swap when I had my SXT, but never got past the searching ebay for doner engines phase....Again, I guess the "buy a factory V8" mentality eclipses doing a mod like this

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,859 Posts
For the life of me, I can't figure out why no one has swapped the Ferrari designed Maserati heads onto one of these - the Maserati v6 is after all a pentastar.....or even swap in a whole TT motor out of a wrecked Ghibli - the Ferrari Heads are what makes the motor.....and they have individual exhaust ports.....I was considering the swap when I had my SXT, but never got past the searching ebay for doner engines phase....Again, I guess the "buy a factory V8" mentality eclipses doing a mod like this
Saves a ton of $$$$ too.

Maserati heads I'm sure aren't cheap.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,875 Posts
Well if it was so simple to swap by now someone would of done that. Sure the different design the PCM / BCM would not be compatible.
You would have to get some much Custom Made the end result would be more of a PITA then even a Hemi Swap.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,875 Posts
You cant port the Plastic Intake!!! Not a Metal Unit, also now a days the BBK TB's have had many issues besides your TB is all that car needs even if you put a Pro Charger
or a Rip Charger on the Car. Everything mentioned is the myth of these are magic for a Pentastar and is just that MYTH. Goes back to a Unlocked PC and Tune 2k for that
20hp and 18-20lb Torque improvement. Sadly many think the Pentastar is a Powerhouse easy mod setup and dont even know the design of the engine or have truthfully researched actual sites that specialize in the Pentastar. Factory Injectors is not what makes HP its Fuel to Air regulated by the design of the Intake, Heads, the 4 Cam DOHC design 2 intake 2 exhaust.

You want that much HP get a R/T have fun call it a day and can even go with a 6 Speed or Automatic.

You want Throttle Response get a Banks Pedal Monster or Pedal Commander but the 2nd one is known to cause issues at randomly for some. Or the Unlocked PCM and Tune which is more money. Tons of post on here from the beginning of the 3.6 Pentastar.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts