Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the February 2011 issue of Motor Trend, four ponycars were compared. The Challenger SE finished in third place because of negatives about its size, transmission, and just "adequate" interior amenities.

Here are the cars in their order of finish:

1. Mustang (305 hp)- 0-60- 6.2 sec.; 1/4- [email protected] mph
2. Hyundai Genesis 3.8 (306 hp)- 0-60 mph- 5.8 sec.; 1/4- [email protected] mph
3. Challenger SE (305 hp)- o-60 mph- 6.4 sec.; 1/4- [email protected] mph
4. Camaro (312 hp)- 0-60 mph- 6.1 sec.; 1/4- [email protected] mph

Note: For a V6, that Genesis really has some impressive numbers.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
if I had gotten falling down drunk when I read that article it may have made more sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
can you really put a mid sized car like the challenger in that class. heck, it is as big as a 1970 chevelle.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
"MT, meet my butt, butt, sorry this MT stinks worse than you, now your clean."

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Magazine articles like that are simply for reading pleasure if you ask me. It is nice to see info about each model but quite frankly I don't see anyone cross shopping the Hyundai with a Challenger. I sat in the Hyundai at last years Auto Show. It is a pretty good product for what it is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the Genesis V6 has an advantage in that the largest engine available is the V6 and the structure can optimized for that engine. The three pony cars must have a heavier structure to accommodate the potential of larger higher horsepower engines being installed. Also the Genesis is a clean sheet design using the latest industrial processes the other three are based on older platforms. It is amazing what Hyundai has accomplished in such a short time from a near laughing stock comparable to the Yugo to a world class manufacturer of Automobiles.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
the Challenger WAS not and IS not a "pony" car - so to me - the article is useless

the Genesis IS however - IMHO - one heck of a fine platform for some serious tuning

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think the Genesis V6 has an advantage in that the largest engine available is the V6 and the structure can optimized for that engine. The three pony cars must have a heavier structure to accommodate the potential of larger higher horsepower engines being installed. Also the Genesis is a clean sheet design using the latest industrial processes the other three are based on older platforms. It is amazing what Hyundai has accomplished in such a short time from a near laughing stock comparable to the Yugo to a world class manufacturer of Automobiles.
that my man is the word.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
the Challenger WAS not and IS not a "pony" car - so to me - the article is useless

the Genesis IS however - IMHO - one heck of a fine platform for some serious tuning

and drifting is all the rage in Asia so you can expect big things, Toyota / Subaru have their F86
Higher tag price for the Toyota FT-86 because of skyrocketing development cost

and it does not have the strange Genesis body line.

I would expect that even RWD cars to be donminated by the Asians. Sad case for the USofA.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Challenger is still #1 in my book. The style of the Challenger is way out front and I wouldn't call it slow either. The Hyundai's heritage is the Scoupe. The other 3 we all know about. Nothing agaist Hyundai, I traded a Tiburon for my Challenger.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
and drifting is all the rage in Asia so you can expect big things,
I would expect that even RWD cars to be donminated by the Asians. Sad case for the USofA.
this will make you cry - when I worked for Nissan got a chance to take the twin-turbo Skyline around the test track at Phoenix

limited to 50 mph :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts